ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles at AH Wednesday 11/25

IU? I'm Fine

All-Big Ten
Jul 23, 2006
The Tennessee Tech 2nd-year coach is former University of Kentucky All-American and Hall of Famer John Pelphrey. IU associate head coach Tom Ostrom knows and has worked for Pelphrey, including Pelphrey’s stint as head coach at Arkansas from 2007-11.

Indiana is 4-0 all-time vs. the Golden Eagles, most recently a 87-59 win in December, 2017.

Jr. Clay, 6'-0", a Junior, leads the team. He is named to the All-Conference team. He is one of six returning players. They are a young team and are
projected to finish ninth in their conference. They were 9th last year, too.

Last season, the Golden Eagles finished 9-22 overall and 6-12 in OVC play, but things seemed to start clicking for the inexperienced roster down the stretch. Tech won four of its final seven games on the year, with two of the three losses coming by a combined seven points on the road.

Tech returns its top two scorers, Jr. Clay and sophomore point guard Keishawn Davidson. Both ranked in the top-10 in the league in assists as well. The Golden Eagles' leading rebounder and shot-blocker, Amadou Sylla, returns for his junior campaign, adding more than 20 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-8 frame over the summer.

The Golden Eagles introduce eight new players for 2020-21. They are freshmen Austin Harvell (forward), Taelon Peter (guard), Jalen Stayton (freshman), and Kenny White Jr. (freshman), sophomore transfer CJ Gettelfinger (guard), juniors Damaria Franklin (guard) and Marcus Hopkins (center), and graduate transfer Shandon Goldman (forward). Link is to their current roster: 2020-21 Tennessee Tech Men's Basketball Roster - Tennessee Tech (ttusports.com)

The Tennessee Tech 2nd-year coach is former University of Kentucky All-American and Hall of Famer John Pelphrey. IU associate head coach Tom Ostrom knows and has worked for Pelphrey, including Pelphrey’s stint as head coach at Arkansas from 2007-11.

Indiana is 4-0 all-time vs. the Golden Eagles, most recently a 87-59 win in December, 2017.

Jr. Clay, 6'-0", a Junior, leads the team. He is named to the All-Conference team. He is one of six returning players. They are a young team and are

Last season, the Golden Eagles finished 9-22 overall and 6-12 in OVC play, but things seemed to start clicking for the inexperienced roster down the stretch. Tech won four of its final seven games on the year, with two of the three losses coming by a combined seven points on the road.

Tech returns its top two scorers, Jr. Clay and sophomore point guard Keishawn Davidson. Both ranked in the top-10 in the league in assists as well. The Golden Eagles' leading rebounder and shot-blocker, Amadou Sylla, returns for his junior campaign, adding more than 20 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-8 frame over the summer.

The Golden Eagles introduce eight new players for 2020-21. They are freshmen Austin Harvell (forward), Taelon Peter (guard), Jalen Stayton (freshman), and Kenny White Jr. (freshman), sophomore transfer CJ Gettelfinger (guard), juniors Damaria Franklin (guard) and Marcus Hopkins (center), and graduate transfer Shandon Goldman (forward). Link is to their current roster: 2020-21 Tennessee Tech Men's Basketball Roster - Tennessee Tech (ttusports.com)

Think you're embellishing Pelphrey as a player... unless it meant Academic All American. He was a good college player, much better than I anticipated after watching him in the IN-KY all star game, but averaged around 11ppg for his career and high of 14 ppg as a junior. Doubtful he made any AA teams, maybe not all conference, but possibly an Academic AA... no idea what kind of student he was.

Still don't like these games. Louisville opens with UE... that to me is the type of opponent I'd like to see in these early season non-con games. At least some local interest. It is more of a risk, since those teams players will have added motivation against IU, but if we're the program we want to be, there shouldn't be much more risk of losing a game like that than TN Tech.

Think you're embellishing Pelphrey as a player... unless it meant Academic All American. He was a good college player, much better than I anticipated after watching him in the IN-KY all star game, but averaged around 11ppg for his career and high of 14 ppg as a junior. Doubtful he made any AA teams, maybe not all conference, but possibly an Academic AA... no idea what kind of student he was.

Still don't like these games. Louisville opens with UE... that to me is the type of opponent I'd like to see in these early season non-con games. At least some local interest. It is more of a risk, since those teams players will have added motivation against IU, but if we're the program we want to be, there shouldn't be much more risk of losing a game like that than TN Tech.
Thanks. I stand corrected. I took that from a Golden Eagle website but didn't check the info. The few things I know about uk: The Watshot; and vacated wins and titles; and FedEx packages.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Thanks. I stand corrected. I took that from a Golden Eagle website but didn't check the info. The few things I know about uk: The Watshot; and vacated wins and titles; and FedEx packages.
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just remember him pretty well, because I think our Mr Bball that year was Shawn Kemp, who was a manchild, and Pelphrey was a tall, skinny kid from Eastern KY who looked like he could barely chew gum and dribble. I assume he padded his HS stats because he was 6'8" and playing a bunch of 6'ers. If it wasn't Kemp, it was the year Rick Fox was an all-star, but Pelphrey looked severely overmatched and I was surprised he was going to UK. Fast forward a couple years and I'd almost forgotten him, and slick Rick has him dribbling between his legs and nailing 3s. Never saw that coming, but he still wasn't anywhere near AA status as a player; role player. Was part of the KY crew that brought them back though... Unforgettables? (I forget what they were called!), I think with Richie Farmer, Deron Feldhaus and Sean Woods (Cathedral maybe, pretty sure he was from IN) Mashburn I think. Straining my UK knowledge and feel a little ill.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU? I'm Fine

Excellent report....problem is, you've described a team no IU fan has any interest in seeing. Play Indiana teams Scott....it's a fricking no-brainer.

Kemp did not win Mr basketball (should have) kojak fuller did that yr. Shawn was pissed and almost didn't play in all star game against Kentucky. Remember watching my future brother in law play against him in Jr high.

Reactions: kkott
Kemp did not win Mr basketball (should have) kojak fuller did that yr. Shawn was pissed and almost didn't play in all star game against Kentucky. Remember watching my future brother in law play against him in Jr high.
Good catch! I forgot about that... and just assumed from the amazing player/athlete he was, that it was Kemp.

Kemp not winning Mr.Basketball...
Still a little hard to believe..
And though I'm personal friends with the Zeller family..
Luke probably shouldn't have gotten it.
Tyler & Cody were slam dunks..

I believe Woody Austin won Mr. Basketball in 1988 instead of Kemp.
Kojak Fuller was awarded Mr. Basketball in 1993 after Sherron Wilkerson was originally named.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT