Lawn mowing business
Restaurant business
Construction business
Farm business
Automobile parts sales and repair business
Restaurant business
Navy business
Defense business

I also have a business degree from IU (before it was Kelley) and postgraduate degrees - and I'm still right. Businesses do what they think is in their best financial interests, including giving out wage increases and bonuses when it makes sense based on current and projected future earnings.

any recently publicly announced bonuses that actually get paid out to working class gunts, will be politically motivated investments, and not some desire of the investor class or corps to share the wealth.

the investor class, and those who represent them, don't share any wealth they don't have to just to be magnanimous. that's not how unbridled capitalism works.

any recently publicly announced bonuses that actually get paid out to working class gunts, will be politically motivated investments, and not some desire of the investor class or corps to share the wealth.

the investor class, and those who represent them, don't share any wealth they don't have to just to be magnanimous. that's not how unbridled capitalism works.
What?

These bonuses are great and all....But a $1k raise would have been a lot more serious long-term commitment than bonuses.

Wal-Mart is the only company I've seen commit to any types of raises whatsoever.

Wal-Mart only gave the 1k bonus to employees with 20+ yrs of service.I'm guessing that extra $1000 barely makes a dent in terms of the overall financial deficit endured by people who worked at Wal-Mart for a dismal wage for 20 yrs...

Reactions: Sope Creek
Wall Street bonuses rise 17 percent in 2017
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/380367-wall-street-bonuses-rise-17-percent-in-2017

The average bonus for a Wall Street employee jumped 17 percent in 2017, according to data released by the New York state comptroller Monday.
New York City traders and analysts took home an average bonus of $184,220 last year as stock prices skyrocketed during President Trump’s first term.

The increase was the largest rise in Wall Street bonuses since 2006, a year before the start of the financial crisis that roiled the world and crashed the global economy.
Banks and stock traders have been among the biggest beneficiaries of Trump’s tenure. The president has pushed for broad deregulation of the financial sector and a rollback of strict rules imposed after the 2007-08 financial crisis.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss:

Lol... Isn't Singapore like 75% finance guys? ;)

There is a lot of them but not the majority of people. Lots of private banking here for private purposes. ;)
Though the currency controls in China has put a hold on it.

An ex-gf of mine was dealing with a guy from China who was buying a beachfront home here for $28 million. Had 80% downpayment in cash and wanted the rest in a local bank loan. When asked what his annual salary was.... $100k. :eek:

She found a way to get him both the property and the loan. ;)

Last edited:
There is a lot of them but not the majority of people. Lots of private banking here for private purposes. ;)

An ex-gf of mine was dealing with a guy from China who was buying a beachfront home here for $28 million. Had 80% downpayment in cash and wanted the rest in a local bank loan. When asked what his annual salary was.... $100k. :eek:

what's the property valued at?

what's he buying this for? live in indefinitely? or flip? or rent?

i'll assume an investment rather than a home to live in, or there's something we don't know here.

i'm guessing the loan had a lot more to do with the 80% cash DP.

if the property is valued anywhere close to, or more than, the selling price, seems like the lender is pretty well protected.

what's the property valued at?

what's he buying this for? live in indefinitely? or flip? or rent?

i'll assume an investment rather than a home to live in, or there's something we don't know here.

i'm guessing the loan had a lot more to do with the 80% cash DP.

if the property is valued anywhere close to, or more than, the selling price, seems like the lender is pretty well protected.

I didn't know the client. It was my ex-gf's client. Lots of underreported income in China and as usual real estate is the best way to clean it.

Well, if he came up with 80% of $28 million in cash, clearly his $100K salary is relatively immaterial.

MAS targeting financial services growth well-above the broader economy

http://sbr.com.sg/financial-services/news/singapore-targets-43-growth-in-financial-sector

Well, if he came up with 80% of $28 million in cash, clearly his $100K salary is relatively immaterial.

MAS targeting financial services growth well-above the broader economy

http://sbr.com.sg/financial-services/news/singapore-targets-43-growth-in-financial-sector

Where the banker wankers work:
MBFC_A1_1160.jpg

Almost every building has a bank signage.

Unfortunately, Singapore is getting to be a 1% society where some friends of mine, lawyers who make seven figures salaries think it's getting expensive.
That's why I am checking out.

Where the banker wankers work:
MBFC_A1_1160.jpg

Almost every building has a bank signage.

Unfortunately, Singapore is getting to be a 1% society where some friends of mine, lawyers who make seven figures salaries think it's getting expensive.
That's why I am checking out.
I've liked Singapore more every time I've visited since 1988. I really enjoy it, and when I was in the Navy, so did my Sailors. However, in 2000 after nearly 2 weeks of in port time during three port visits, my Sailors were broke and were more than ready to go. For a Navy ship visit, about 3 days is all the crew can handle! It was even more expensive in 2009.

On the other hand, I still like Hong Kong, but it's not nearly as fun to visit now as it was before the turnover from the British. It has a different feel to it and it's not quite as enjoyable.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I've liked Singapore more every time I've visited since 1988. I really enjoy it, and when I was in the Navy, so did my Sailors. However, in 2000 after nearly 2 weeks of in port time during three port visits, my Sailors were broke and were more than ready to go. For a Navy ship visit, about 3 days is all the crew can handle! It was even more expensive in 2009.

On the other hand, I still like Hong Kong, but it's not nearly as fun to visit now as it was before the turnover from the British. It has a different feel to it and it's not quite as enjoyable.

There is a better cultural/racial(foreign) integration in Singapore and that had changed gradually. My ex-wife used to get stared at quite a bit when she first got here especially in the public housing neighbourhoods. (She was blonde, blue eyed etc with this Chinese guy.) Now foreigners rent in the public housing neighbourhoods too. So they barely get a look at nowadays.

The underlying principle is that there is a higher tolerance level of people who different here than say, HK. I nearly moved to HK in the late 90s to run a HK/China startup. But my ex had food poisoning there and I didn't like that virtual apartheid thing that was going on in HK so we stayed.

The big gripe in HK isnt so much with the (white) expats now, but its with the mainlanders -- who are flushed with so much cash and buying up Hermes Birkin bags like they are bags of peanuts. Plus the new generation of European/American expats are millennials and they seem to be more culturally sensitive.
This big HK hatred towards the (mainland) Chinese once again proves that the bane of future societies will be the ever-widening income inequality gap and not really race.

Great news for some of you here:

Trump said this tax break was for small businesses. It’s giving $17 billion to millionaires this year.

Those making $1 million or more will save more than $30 billion on the “pass-through” tax deduction by 2024.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/24/17275720/pass-throughs-tax-cut-bill

The Joint Committee on Taxation on Monday released a report outlining some of the initial effects of the tax law passed in December. (NBC News was first to report on it.) The committee estimates that the owners of pass-through entities — companies organized as sole proprietorships, partnerships, LLCs, or S corporations that don’t pay corporate income taxes — will save $40.2 billion in 2018 thanks to the tax bill.

Of that total, $17.4 billion will go to individuals and households making more than $1 million per year. (Revenue estimators are based on tax returns, so a married couple filing jointly is one taxpayer, and a married couple filing separately are two.)
By 2024, the committee estimates pass-throughs will save $60.3 billion on taxes via the new law. More than half of the benefit — $31.6 billion — will go to individuals and households earning more than $1 million.

Great news for some of you here:

Trump said this tax break was for small businesses. It’s giving $17 billion to millionaires this year.

Those making $1 million or more will save more than $30 billion on the “pass-through” tax deduction by 2024.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/24/17275720/pass-throughs-tax-cut-bill

Is this a surprise to anyone? This was my biggest gripe about the tax bill. There was zero reason to provide this give away to the pass throughs. It was unnecessary and will largely benefit the very wealthy.

A survey of businesses also suggest a majority say the tax cuts have no impact on their hiring.

• A majority (65%) of respondents indicates the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act did not cause their firms to change hiring or investments plans. Compared to other sectors, goods-producing firms report they are more likely to be implementing changes, with 26% of respondents from that sector reporting accelerated investments, 11% reporting accelerated hiring, and 11% reporting the redirection of both hiring and investments to the U.S.

Reactions: sglowrider
A survey of businesses also suggest a majority say the tax cuts have no impact on their hiring.

• A majority (65%) of respondents indicates the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act did not cause their firms to change hiring or investments plans. Compared to other sectors, goods-producing firms report they are more likely to be implementing changes, with 26% of respondents from that sector reporting accelerated investments, 11% reporting accelerated hiring, and 11% reporting the redirection of both hiring and investments to the U.S.

Shock horror. He lies.

At least they are willing to admit to it:

It appears Marco Rubio has fallen from the pure of faith:

There is still a lot of thinking on the right that if big corporations are happy, they’re going to take the money they’re saving and reinvest it in American workers,” he says. “In fact they bought back shares, a few gave out bonuses; there’s no evidence whatsoever that the money’s been massively poured back into the American worker.”
He also points out to The Economist, we are losing many more jobs to machines than to Mexico.

It appears Marco Rubio has fallen from the pure of faith:

There is still a lot of thinking on the right that if big corporations are happy, they’re going to take the money they’re saving and reinvest it in American workers,” he says. “In fact they bought back shares, a few gave out bonuses; there’s no evidence whatsoever that the money’s been massively poured back into the American worker.”
He also points out to The Economist, we are losing many more jobs to machines than to Mexico.

He is building up his soundbites for the 2020 primary.

I was just sure the trickle down thing was gonna work this time. I thought they finally had enough lipstick on that pig. Dammit!
The Republican plan to benefit ordinary people:

(1) Make the rich richer.

(2) ???

(3) Higher wages.​

The Republican plan to benefit ordinary people:

(1) Make the rich richer.

(2) ???

(3) Higher wages.​

I think the math has always been that if the pie grows by X, everyone does better. But I wonder, with all the income inequality growth that we know has happened, that what we do is grow the pie by X but the top 1% gets 105% of X. So it looks like everyone is doing better, the pie is bigger. But the amount of pie we non-1%'s get is less and less.

Our company moved up a raise six months for hourly workers which is a big amount of money. Salaried employees will get a little extra in bonuses. In addition there are two major expansions one of which will be in Indiana.

The expansions are driven somewhat by competition.

I think the math has always been that if the pie grows by X, everyone does better. But I wonder, with all the income inequality growth that we know has happened, that what we do is grow the pie by X but the top 1% gets 105% of X. So it looks like everyone is doing better, the pie is bigger. But the amount of pie we non-1%'s get is less and less.
In the post-WWII decades, a rising tide really did lift all boats. Then that stopped happening.

Perhaps it’s time for us to abandon the idea that the best way to make everyone better off is to make rich people better off. Instead, we could adopt policies that put more money into the bank accounts of ordinary people, and let their increased spending drive GDP growth that would benefit everyone. Just a thought.

That Paul Ryan picture you’ve posted several times sums it up better than anything
That photoshopped image perfectly captures the Randian worldview that Ryan exemplifies. It mystifies me that he’s regarded as a policy wonk, even in the supposedly liberal media.

In the post-WWII decades, a rising tide really did lift all boats. Then that stopped happening.

Perhaps it’s time for us to abandon the idea that the best way to make everyone better off is to make rich people better off. Instead, we could adopt policies that put more money into the bank accounts of ordinary people, and let their increased spending drive GDP growth that would benefit everyone. Just a thought.
In an economy where 70 percent of GDP comes from consumer spending, the real "job creators" aren't titans of industry or the wizards of Wall Street, but ordinary households that are constrained to spend the bulk of what they earn. Maybe instead of glorifying vulgar rich assholes like Trump, we should esteem sentiments like those Aaron Copland expressed here.

Last edited:
In an economy where 70 percent of GDP comes from consumer spending, the real "job creators" aren't titans of industry or the wizards of Wall Street, but ordinary households that are constrained to spend the bulk of what they earn.

Maybe the problem is our elected “leaders” know so much they forgot what we all learned in Econ 101

In an economy where 70 percent of GDP comes from consumer spending, the real "job creators" aren't titans of industry or the wizards of Wall Street, but ordinary households that are constrained to spend the bulk of what they earn. Maybe instead of glorifying vulgar rich assholes like Trump, we should esteem sentiments like those Aaron Copland expressed here.

We have turned from a society that rewards producing goods (which can be anything from a shovel to an idea) to a society that rewards investment above all else. Now that we have lowered the business tax, let's tax investment income EXACTLY as we tax wages.

Wow! Nice cherry picking to find something to criticize POTUS. LOL. Did you read the rest of the article? It I is nothing but great economic news. It is interesting that 65% say that the tax cuts had no impact on hiring yet virtually all are experience increasing profits and sales and need to hire people. Also, 68% said that tariffs are not affecting their plans.

I think you're hitting on the biggest problem here. Not so much the numbers, but the perspective. We consider a bigger increase in GDP to be better than a smaller increase, but we really shouldn't actually be making that judgment without looking at who exactly is getting the benefits of that increase. If Microsoft increases its production by $10 billion, that increases the size of our economy, but it doesn't actually do much for the welfare of the nation as a whole if $9.9 billion goes directly into Bill Gates' checking account.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
We have turned from a society that rewards producing goods (which can be anything from a shovel to an idea) to a society that rewards investment above all else. Now that we have lowered the business tax, let's tax investment income EXACTLY as we tax wages.

I don't think it should be EXACTLY like we tax wages. We need to incentivize capital investments to keep the means of production (thereby salaries and wages) expanding and viable. But favorable treatment should be limited to the small business side of things, not to the multi-billion dollar hedge fund industry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT