ADVERTISEMENT

Tariffs / Trade Wars / Tweets

I wasn't talking about Xi.

And how is that German or Korean tech on autonomous cars coming along?

Think bigger. The automobile industry is 1/7th of world GDP (10T/yr). It's also ripe for disruption. We own a significant IP advantage, yet have been shut out of China over past 10 years (going from 15% market share to <5% over that time frame). Add in that India is about to go through a trillion dollar infrastructure update of their own over next 5 years and the two largest markets in the world have tremendous opportunity for growth.

The automobile supply chain manufacturing jobs are the one's we need to come back to meet productivity capacity. The growth in that sector is what will drive the economy growth required to "afford" the tax cuts.

If you don't agree, ask Elon Musk how having great demand for a product, but the inability to meet that demand is coming along.

I thought GM was the #1 selling car in China, selling more cars in China than in the US?

Now we have to produce much of that in China, but it seems to me we required Honda, Toyota, and Mazga to manufacture much of their US sold vehicles here.

I thought GM was the #1 selling car in China, selling more cars in China than in the US?

Now we have to produce much of that in China, but it seems to me we required Honda, Toyota, and Mazga to manufacture much of their US sold vehicles here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongfeng_Motor_Corporation#Controversies

China has a state owned auto company. How long do you think it will be before they use us to train them, etc. and then kick us out. Again. They are thinking long term.

Reactions: Bill4411
We're driving the only Ferrari in the race, winning by a mile, and Trump wants to force everyone to downshift instead of putting our attention on improving our pit crew, machine, drivers, and everything else that made us great in the first place. We have all sorts of competitive advantages we should be leveraging to speed up, not slow down.

Any time you nerf the conditions, the advantage goes to the weaker players. Trump's just plain ignorant.

We're driving the only Ferrari in the race, winning by a mile, and Trump wants to force everyone to downshift instead of putting our attention on improving our pit crew, machine, drivers, and everything else that made us great in the first place. We have all sorts of competitive advantages we should be leveraging to speed up, not slow down.

Any time you nerf the conditions, the advantage goes to the weaker players. Trump's just plain ignorant.

absolutely no idea what you were trying to say there.

i could guess, but hate to respond without knowing what point you were trying to make.

i'm guessing you would know about that.

I have absolutely no idea what you were trying to say there.

I suppose that I could guess, but I would hate to respond without knowing what point you were trying to make.

Apologies, but I translated it into my native language...English.

The Masons? World domination?

Wrong!

The correct answer is The Really Rottens

latest

And their actual purpose is, of course, to beat The Scooby Doobies and Yogi's Yahoos. Duh.

We’re driving the only Ferrari in the race? Really? We certainly are the faster country today but in a few years definitely not. China continues to steal our IP, send their best to our universities to learn from the best today while at the same time they are building toward a plan to leave us in the dust and bury us. Wake up people.

We’re driving the only Ferrari in the race? Really? We certainly are the faster country today but in a few years definitely not. China continues to steal our IP, send their best to our universities to learn from the best today while at the same time they are building toward a plan to leave us in the dust and bury us. Wake up people.
So is this reason Trump has the National Guard at the Mexican border?

Reactions: sglowrider

This is the truth. My company will only sell or offer 2nd rev back equip in China ( what is mostly American companies I might add) because all they do is rip off our IP.
I go to trade shows and see Chinese companies who display, 6 booths down, equip that even has our specific outward appearance. One of them even ever so very GD slightly used our name by adding a letter to our company name on the product labeling.
Burn these %#}{^rds even if it causes us a little pain now, or it’ll be all over before we realize it.
The biggest most saddening part is that a lot of it is American companies who’ve moved operations over there doing this. It’s like we are eating ourselves from within.
This may not be in every case, but it is in my case. I’ve also watched several participants on shark tank who have experienced the same as a little start up. It is very sickening that our policy makers of the one world order have allowed this to happen ( and glutinous greed monger merkan’s! )
If that was close to coherent, cheers ya’ll.

Three points:

Most cutting technology/research/STEM students at PhD level are foreign who are being taught by a lot of foreign professors too (eg Einstein) at top American universities. (Tesla's founder, Yahoo, Google etc are ex-foreign students who spun off their companies.) With all the cutbacks, a lot of the Ivy league schools or even state-funded schools would struggle to maintain their world-class faculties without foreign students/fees, especially from China. This is a fact.
https://www.brookings.edu/interacti...-s-higher-education-origins-and-destinations/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/education/edlife/american-graduate-student-stem.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuart...e-70-of-ee-grad-students-in-u-s/#17052643673e

Secondly, if the country is so concerned, then why not co-op them into staying instead of making the country so unwelcoming to anyone who isn't white? Is that the smart thing to do?
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/drop-foreign-applicants-worries-us-engineering-schools

Thirdly, and sadly, many Chinese students go back to China also because they see more opportunities there which ought to be food for thought.

Bruce -- rather than feeling the victim which seems to be the general Trumpian theme nowadays, and very unAmerican I must add; why not try and understand why this is happening?

Last edited:
Three points:

Most cutting technology/research/STEM students at PhD level are foreign who are being taught by a lot of foreign professors too (eg Einstein) at top American universities. (Tesla's founder, Yahoo, Google etc are ex-foreign students who spun off their companies.) With all the cutbacks, a lot of the Ivy league schools or even state-funded schools would struggle to maintain their world-class faculties without foreign students/fees, especially from China. This is a fact.
https://www.brookings.edu/interacti...-s-higher-education-origins-and-destinations/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/education/edlife/american-graduate-student-stem.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuart...e-70-of-ee-grad-students-in-u-s/#17052643673e

Secondly, if the country is so concerned, then why not co-op them into staying instead of making the country so unwelcoming to anyone who isn't white? Is that the smart thing to do?
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/drop-foreign-applicants-worries-us-engineering-schools

Thirdly, and sadly, many Chinese students go back to China also because they see more opportunities there which ought to be food for thought.

Bruce -- rather than feeling the victim which seems to be the general Trumpian theme nowadays, and very unAmerican I must add; why not try and understand why this is happening?

I think you should read the complete string. China is a very big threat not only to the US but to the rest of the world. All it take is a little research to see that they are playing the game by different rules. Their students come from very wealthy backgrounds and have the financial resources to by the high fees so of course the Universities gladly talke their money. Excellent Engineering schools have no problem filling spots. Purdue and other Universities have caught flack because they are not taking qualified candidates from in state.

This is not some race related immigration BS. This is the future of our country at stake. Americans need to wake up to the world around us.

Reactions: 76-1
I think you should read the complete string. China is a very big threat not only to the US but to the rest of the world. All it take is a little research to see that they are playing the game by different rules. Their students come from very wealthy backgrounds and have the financial resources to by the high fees so of course the Universities gladly talke their money. Excellent Engineering schools have no problem filling spots. Purdue and other Universities have caught flack because they are not taking qualified candidates from in state.

This is not some race related immigration BS. This is the future of our country at stake. Americans need to wake up to the world around us.

My brother in law teaches PhD STEM/Bio-engineering students at an Ivy league school. His son, my nephew is a STEM/cancer research PhD candidate.
My brother in law says that without these Chinese students, they would struggle to compete financially.
My nephew thinks they suck because they are extremely bright and hardworking -- very competitive.

Both agree that Americans don't want to do grad school because of the quick buck /pay student loan syndrome.
Fyi. I have been doing business in and out of China since 1992. I also live in a region where the long shadow of China is being cast. I have both a macro and micro perspective.

So where are you getting your research?

Last edited:
My brother in law teaches PhD STEM/Bio-engineering students at an Ivy league school. His son, my nephew is a STEM/cancer research PhD candidate.
My brother in law says that without these Chinese students, they would struggle to compete financially.
My nephew thinks they suck because they are extremely bright and hardworking -- very competitive.

Both agree that Americans don't want to do grad school because of the quick buck /pay student loan syndrome.
Fyi. I have been doing business in and out of China since 1992. I also live in a region where the long shadow of China is being cast. I have both a macro and micro perspective.

One of the significant reasons there be less interest in grad school by American students is the well known lack of interest in STEM curriculum by American students. It is well documented that our school systems have not kept up with the educational needs of our country. The Star had a report that Purdue was starting a series of Technical High schools around the state to prepare students for STEM curriculums so they could pass the entrance requirements at Purdue. Out of control budgets by most Universities drive them to chase the money and there is a lot of money and people in China.

There is no question that people from Asia are very hard working and emphasize education greatly. That said there is also no question that the Chinese Government has taken advantage of our free trade status. In addition they have manipulated their economy, stolen IP, and used the weight of the National Government to build factories, absorb the financial losses to run the factories at max output to flood the world markets to bankrupt competition.

They are a dictatorship that has a horrible human rights record yet they continue to receive the benefits of our free trade agreements with no accountability until now. Yes, it will be a bumpy road, yes, we must balance the playing field before it is too late.

I too have done business in China, (and Mexico). Have lived and worked in both countries and have watched China systematically attack our economy. It is past time to do something about it.

Reactions: 76-1

Talking to your brother in law and nephew?

Indianapolis Star? Gospel according to Trump?
Those would be my guess.;)
I suggest you try getting off the Hate Trump bandwagon long enough do a little simple research yourself about China’s economic policies and how they interact with the rest of the world economy. Try dealing in facts rather than emotion.

I suggest you try getting off the Hate Trump bandwagon long enough do a little simple research yourself about China’s economic policies and how they interact with the rest of the world economy. Try dealing in facts rather than emotion.
Thanks for the sermon. :D
I just copied and changed a few words from the zillions of your posts against Obama, and toned them down.

Thanks for the sermon. :D
I just copied and changed a few words from the zillions of your posts against Obama, and toned them down.

It would be great to get your comments about the scenario about China’s economic warfare agains the US and other developed nations.

I hope all of the Trump haters are going to survive this roller coaster ride with China. As far as I know there hasn’t been $1 of Tariff increase yet and everyone his panicking. Here is a very interesting read with some good quotes from Reps of the EU. China is putting up a big front but behinds the scenes know they are in trouble and need to change. Pls read the article rather than discount the scourge.

http://www.oann.com/exclusive-china...llies-in-rush-of-ambassador-meetings-sources/

One of the significant reasons there be less interest in grad school by American students is the well known lack of interest in STEM curriculum by American students. It is well documented that our school systems have not kept up with the educational needs of our country. The Star had a report that Purdue was starting a series of Technical High schools around the state to prepare students for STEM curriculums so they could pass the entrance requirements at Purdue. Out of control budgets by most Universities drive them to chase the money and there is a lot of money and people in China.

There is no question that people from Asia are very hard working and emphasize education greatly. That said there is also no question that the Chinese Government has taken advantage of our free trade status. In addition they have manipulated their economy, stolen IP, and used the weight of the National Government to build factories, absorb the financial losses to run the factories at max output to flood the world markets to bankrupt competition.

They are a dictatorship that has a horrible human rights record yet they continue to receive the benefits of our free trade agreements with no accountability until now. Yes, it will be a bumpy road, yes, we must balance the playing field before it is too late.

I too have done business in China, (and Mexico). Have lived and worked in both countries and have watched China systematically attack our economy. It is past time to do something about it.

I don't know if it ties to this STEM debate entirely, but in Outliers Malcolm Gladwell has a section on STEM issues. Bottom line in joke form, Q) What do we call someone who does poorly at STEM in collage? A) a lawyer. Gladwell mentions that every year people who were great at STEM in high school go to college and struggle. They drop out of STEM and move to other fields, often law. Now this section of his book details why it is better to go to a pretty good college and not a great college. The competition is high enough at an MIT that someone who might finish at toward the top at Purdue is low enough at MIT that they start searching for other career paths. Maybe we can find a way to convince the MIT person unhappy that they are at the 70th percentile that STEM is still worth it as a major. And the joke comes from a Harvard STEM guy who moved to law and said the law school was packed with former STEM dropouts. Gladwell suggests the rewards from a Harvard or MIT are only marginal. The biggest reward, the parents getting to say their child is at Harvard.

I don't know how this helps, except maybe we could produce more STEM if we just didn't make law so easy. Or made business so lucrative. I've known several kids who were great at science/math Olympiads go to business in college because that's where the big money is.

It's funny how the unemployment numbers were fake news until Jan 19, 2017 but at least now we can say with certainty that the numbers are correct. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Our Greatest of All Time President Trump, today, we also know the deficit numbers are fake statistics made up by the Deep State to scare the people about the big, beautiful tax cuts.

Reactions: meridian

It's funny how the unemployment numbers were fake news until Jan 19, 2017 but at least now we can say with certainty that the numbers are correct. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Our Greatest of All Time President Trump, today, we also know the deficit numbers are fake statistics made up by the Deep State to scare the people about the big, beautiful tax cuts.

You are picking a battle over nothing. His statement was not wrong.

Politics 101. They all do it. Trump is an overachiever at it. LOL

The world learns to ignore Trump
Diplomats and investors are starting to dismiss Trump’s policy tweets and other quickly shifting statements.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/18/trump-ignore-wall-street-diplomats-493818

Wall Street, corporate America and the diplomatic world are settling on a strategy to deal with President Donald Trump’s rapidly shifting statements on critical issues like trade deals and Russia sanctions: Just ignore him.
Trump last week shocked the world by suggesting he might rejoin the giant Trans-Pacific Partnership, an 11-nation pact among nations representing 13 percent of the global economy. He reversed himself days later.

All of this has led investors, executives and diplomats to the conclusion that trying to act on any single thing Trump says or tweets is a fool’s game. The more effective strategy, these people say, is to look for trends in the broad sweep of Trump’s approach to governance and ignore all the noise.
“He’s clearly proven that he tends to shoot first and ask questions later and that is very, very difficult for anyone on Wall Street or really anywhere to navigate,” said Jack Ablin, chief investment officer at Cresset Wealth Advisors.

If reading the Trump tea leaves is the best you can hope for...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT