ADVERTISEMENT

Tariffs on Steel & Aluminum

Trump is stealing the rank and file blue collar voters right out from under the Democrats nose. Tariff’s are a horrible idea but it will get votes for Trump and the Republicans.

Until the costs of cheap overseas goods skyrocket as a result of the trade war that ensues...

Horrible idea, IMO. And, since much of the cheap Chinese raw materials are routed through other countries, (including many of our allies) it’s not really a US vs China battle anymore. It’s so shortsighted it’s not even funny at this point.

But, it’s exactly what I’d expect this jack@ss to do. Think about the prudent option, then choose the opposite and you can predict his actions/words.

Trump is stealing the rank and file blue collar voters right out from under the Democrats nose. Tariff’s are a horrible idea but it will get votes for Trump and the Republicans.

Perhaps the Dems don't mind losing those people?

Don't like it one bit. This in all likelihood kills any momentum coming off of the tax cuts, both politically, and in the markets.
At this stage in my life I'm just treading water and hoping to make it to 66 in a couple more years. I've got a decent nest egg and will be okay, assuming a recession doesn't hit and impact my income or my investments. I'm not feeling very confident right now. I hope I'll be able to ride out the damage this clown causes.

Just wait until he pulls out of NAFTA!

Canada - the largest exporter of steel and aluminium to the US - is already sounding the retaliatory alarm.

At this stage in my life I'm just treading water and hoping to make it to 66 in a couple more years. I've got a decent nest egg and will be okay, assuming a recession doesn't hit and impact my income or my investments. I'm not feeling very confident right now. I hope I'll be able to ride out the damage this clown causes.

Maybe you are older than I am . . . .

Look up the definition of "fascism" again and get back to us on that.

latest

Reactions: mike41703

Damn, and I had plans to retire at 94.

Supposedly he once again, surprised everyone with this decision.

The White House’s war over steel tariffs, explained
The move sparked an internal feud at the White House. Then the stock market plunged.
https://www.vox.com/2018/3/1/17066838/white-house-trump-steel-tariffs

Coincidentally (or not), Trump's trade team has deep ties to the US steel industry, and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross made his fortune investing in distressed steel companies. (It’s also worth noting, as Vox’s Matthew Yglesias points out, that the Metals Service Center Institute, a trade group that favors anti-import measures, held last year’s annual conference at the Trump Doral resort in Miami.)

This slapping on of tariff only proves what a poor businessman Trump is. He is BS marketing genius ie liar but not really a business builder.

The most fundamental things you need in forward planning for Business are stability and visibility to enable you to plan.

Things are going well and now he feels the need to disrupt? He treats business like its The Apprentice - when no one who has ever built or runs a successful business ever makes decisions or manages like he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBing and Bill4411

Lesson Learnt: Dont you send your kids to Wharton -- not sure what they teach there. We never learnt any of his ideas at Kelley. Trade wars are never good.

I also know that this re-direction maybe because Trump feels Mueller's noose tightening -- but Lord help us when Mueller finally reports the results of his investigation. Trump may start a real, physical war just to re-direct then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
The most important thing you lefties have forgotten is the environmental impact that reopening the steel mills will cause! There goes our clean air and water :( Oh yeah, don’t forget the world is flat:p

Lesson Learnt: Dont you send your kids to Wharton -- not sure what they teach there. We never learnt any of his ideas at Kelley. Trade wars are never good.

I also know that this re-direction maybe because Trump feels Mueller's noose tightening -- but Lord help us when Mueller finally reports the results of his investigation. Trump may start a real, physical war just to re-direct then.

That tweet is so blindingly stupid...it's hard to wrap your head around it.

The crux of the entire issue is he thinks we are "losing" because we have trade deficits. That on its face is entirely wrong. You don't "lose" $100b in his example, if anything you way well be winning:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonconstable/2017/02/27/mr-trump-heres-why-trade-deficits-are-good/

That tweet is so blindingly stupid...it's hard to wrap your head around it.

The crux of the entire issue is he thinks we are "losing" because we have trade deficits. That on its face is entirely wrong. You don't "lose" $100b in his example, if anything you way well be winning:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonconstable/2017/02/27/mr-trump-heres-why-trade-deficits-are-good/
I heard an economist say this morning that the US has a large consumer driven economy with virtually no savings. That flat out guarantees the US will run trade deficits, we just buy too much stuff.

Reactions: sglowrider
Nobody wants this except for the Unions, which is ironic.

In this particular case, there's way more jobs hurt by the tariffs (i.e. pretty much all manufacturing/construction jobs) than what you'd gain by steel/aluminum workers. Plus it makes everything more expensive for the consumer and cancels out the tax cut.

That doesn't even get into retaliation from other countries and a possible trade war.

Trump's world view harkens back to the days of yore. Everything he does has its vestiges in the past. He will do damage to everything he touches. The US is built to survive and will.

Nobody wins in a trade war -- except in this case, Trump as he gets to deflect his personal problems.

Congress is going to need to step in and neuter him.

Hatch said the other day, if he tries to pull out of NAFTA a veto-proof majority will overrule him in Congress.

Reactions: MrBing

Has he been reading Chairman Mao's Great Leap Forward strategy from the 50-60s?

“With 11 million tons of steel next year and 17 million tons the year after, the world will be shaken. If we can reach 40 million tons in five years, we may possibly catch up with Great Britain in seven years. Add another eight years and we will catch up with the US.”
Mao Zedong, 1958

Reactions: Bill4411
yeah we trade war now MAGA bros

Globalist Gary Cohn on suicide watch

In this particular case, there's way more jobs hurt by the tariffs (i.e. pretty much all manufacturing/construction jobs) than what you'd gain by steel/aluminum workers. Plus it makes everything more expensive for the consumer and cancels out the tax cut.

That doesn't even get into retaliation from other countries and a possible trade war.

This isn't mine, but someone likened this to the 'deficit' you carry with your grocery. You could save a lot of money by not 'trading' with them and putting it toward your deficit...

I never said I supported it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT