ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Gordon Chosen 187th Overall (Sixth Round) By Atlanta Braves

I'm absolutely thrilled for these guys. It's surprising to me though. I honestly didn't think any of them would go as high as they did. Heard Matt G on the radio earlier telling JMV he thought he'd be a second day guy. Had plans to have family and friends with him, but the call came a day early. He was sitting by himself at home when the Pirates called. When will Pauly and Lloyd get called? Kaletha? Fineman?

I'm absolutely thrilled for these guys. It's surprising to me though. I honestly didn't think any of them would go as high as they did. Heard Matt G on the radio earlier telling JMV he thought he'd be a second day guy. Had plans to have family and friends with him, but the call came a day early. He was sitting by himself at home when the Pirates called. When will Pauly and Lloyd get called? Kaletha? Fineman?

So, we're going to need 3 three starters next season.

There will no shortage of candidates, but I think we're officially in rebuild mode with a less than great class coming in in the Fall.

So, we're going to need 3 three starters next season.

There will no shortage of candidates, but I think we're officially in rebuild mode with a less than great class coming in in the Fall.
I'd really like to think Bierman, Sommer, and Manous could nail down those 3 weekend spots. Probably asking a lot, but that's what developmental coaches do, right? The infield should be rock solid if we can come up with a catcher. Outfield would be a done deal too if Kaletha is somehow granted another year. All in all, I'm not totally ready to call it a rebuild until I see the pitchers fail to mature. It's not like our starters this year were lights out...especially in the 2nd half of the year. Need I bring up the tourney results? :eek:

I'd really like to think Bierman, Sommer, and Manous could nail down those 3 weekend spots. Probably asking a lot, but that's what developmental coaches do, right? The infield should be rock solid if we can come up with a catcher. Outfield would be a done deal too if Kaletha is somehow granted another year. All in all, I'm not totally ready to call it a rebuild until I see the pitchers fail to mature. It's not like our starters this year were lights out...especially in the 2nd half of the year. Need I bring up the tourney results? :eek:
I agree on those three making up the weekend rotation, especially Bierman and Sommer. It's going to be interesting how the off-season shakes out.

Reactions: mk23

That's my guess for next year's weekend rotation.

Reactions: mk23

Kaletha possibly....but does he want to stick around for year 5 even if he gets the MR?

Vecrumba, possibly, assuming he's not drafted or doesn't take that option if drafted.

What about moving Ashley to RF and playing Walker at second? I know Houston & Walker are both lifetime .210-.230 hitters, but I can't help thinking they could be more effective offensive players. Walker, especially, seems like he's got a good approach at the plate, and just doesn't have much to show for it. Stop swinging for the fence, swinging at bad pitches (Jeremy), hit grounders and line-drives, steal a base or two, sac bunt with those guys and Ashley occasionally. We had 7 fricking SacBs all year.

One thing that's odd to think about is we will have 1 only LHP with experience in the BP if Sommer starts (B. Scott). From the right side we have Franklin, Krueger, Long, Tucker, Litwicki, Sloan & Brown. On the left, unless I'm missing something, only RS freshman Dunkelberger, JC recruit Brad Busald (who didn't pitch at all this year?) and true freshman Jack Walker (our # 2 or 3 rated recruit) are other options, as far as I can tell.

There are just a lot more wholes to fill going into next year than there were going into this year.

Reactions: mk23 and ulrey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT