ADVERTISEMENT

Tamar Bates commits to IU!!!

But kids never heard of Mike Woodson!!
If only there was a way for recruits to research the background of a coach and learn more about them! Oh well, maybe someone will invent something like that one day.

Woodson gains a little more recognition with each recruiting win.

Reactions: asindc and 76-1
If only there was a way for recruits to research the background of a coach and learn more about them! Oh well, maybe someone will invent something like that one day.

Woodson gains a little more recognition with each recruiting win.
Anything that they don't know about his NBA background he can just tell them. The bottom line is that recruiting should be the last thing anyone worries about when it comes to Mike.

He'll kill it in recruiting and I think he'll be a damn good coach as well.

Last edited:
Anything that they don't know about his NBA background he can just tell them. The bottom line is that recruiting should be the last thing anyone worries about when it comes to Mike.

He'll kill it in recruiting and I think he'll be a damn good coach as well.
well, all signs are positive, but that's exactly one of the primary concerns I have. 1) He's never, ever had to recruit, and 2) recruiting initially was a strength for Archie. He got all the incoming recruits initially to recommit, got Romeo, Armaan, TJD and Lander... Archie's recruiting to start was a strength. Yes, CMD got Duncomb to confirm and kept most of the team intact and has convinced XJ and TB to join, but for us to be where we want and expect IU to be, those are the meat and potatoes recruits we need. Initial signs are good, but we still need to see this staff stack some classes and right now I think most of the recruiting success is attributable to KH. As I said, initial signs are good, but that's still a question mark for this staff and CMW.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
I think most of the recruiting success is attributable to KH.
You mean the assistant coach he hired? Hiring the right assistants is almost as important as actually coaching the team. It's one of the main reasons Archie is no longer here.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
His obsession with IU is beyond sad at this point. It's obvious to anyone with a brain he's just trolling for clicks.
This is pretty clear. IU has an enormous online fan presence and he has figured out how to prop up his career on it. He is far from the only one...Osterman, Doyle, Sterling, Pegram, Coyle, Dakich and several others have done the same. To be expected.

well, all signs are positive, but that's exactly one of the primary concerns I have. 1) He's never, ever had to recruit, and 2) recruiting initially was a strength for Archie. He got all the incoming recruits initially to recommit, got Romeo, Armaan, TJD and Lander... Archie's recruiting to start was a strength. Yes, CMD got Duncomb to confirm and kept most of the team intact and has convinced XJ and TB to join, but for us to be where we want and expect IU to be, those are the meat and potatoes recruits we need. Initial signs are good, but we still need to see this staff stack some classes and right now I think most of the recruiting success is attributable to KH. As I said, initial signs are good, but that's still a question mark for this staff and CMD.
Who is CMD, we hire Davis back???

well, all signs are positive, but that's exactly one of the primary concerns I have. 1) He's never, ever had to recruit, and 2) recruiting initially was a strength for Archie. He got all the incoming recruits initially to recommit, got Romeo, Armaan, TJD and Lander... Archie's recruiting to start was a strength. Yes, CMD got Duncomb to confirm and kept most of the team intact and has convinced XJ and TB to join, but for us to be where we want and expect IU to be, those are the meat and potatoes recruits we need. Initial signs are good, but we still need to see this staff stack some classes and right now I think most of the recruiting success is attributable to KH. As I said, initial signs are good, but that's still a question mark for this staff and CMD.
I know we've said that we need to temper expectations for next year...but not sure I'm in that camp anymore. Because...nothing breeds recruiting success like winning. Especially for IU, who still has most of their games on some form of national television every week (including our share of ESPN/FoxSports/CBS games as well as all the B1G network games). So our winning- or as in the past few years, our losing- has been there for many to see, including recruits. So far it seems that, aside from Franklin, the current and prospective IU players are liking what they are hearing from CMW. Let's not underestimate the importance of TJD coming back- that was a huge endorsement for CMW and the program, it was the first big piece of the puzzle falling into place for next season.

Immediate success will be a huge push forward. I had high hopes for Archie, but that first month when we got rolled at home by ISU and Ft Wayne, really seemed to let the air out of the balloon quickly. And I still believe Romeo only came to IU because of the L'ville mess, and Lander has yet to prove to me he belongs at a P5 school. TJD was by far CAM's biggest recruiting win, but I also think one of CAM's death nails was the huge failure this incoming class of 21 was for him. And I still feel CAM's single biggest recruiting miss-which might have cost him his job because of the impact it had on this past season- was Garcia. Having TJD and Garcia on the court together would have been one helluva matchup problem for other teams.

What will be a little strange is the look of IU ball on the court moving forward in time, if we truly are going to a 4/1 style offense. Sloanscreen 45 has gone the way of the dodo. Hopefully the high 3 man weave has as well, along with Phin pounding the air out of the ball for 20 seconds.

Sorry...sort of all over the map with my thoughts...I need to unplug and go fishing for 6 months. I wish the new season began tomorrow. Haven't felt that way in a long time.

Last edited:
I know we've said that we need to temper expectations for next year...but not sure I'm in that camp anymore. Because...nothing breeds recruiting success like winning. Especially for IU, who still has most of their games on some form of national television every week (including our share of ESPN/FoxSports/CBS games as well as all the B1G network games). So our winning- or as in the past few years, our losing- has been there for many to see, including recruits. So far it seems that, aside from Franklin, the current and prospective IU players are liking what they are hearing from CMW. Let's not underestimate the importance of TJD coming back- that was a huge endorsement for CMW and the program, it was the first big piece of the puzzle falling into place for next season.

Immediate success will be a huge push forward. I had high hopes for Archie, but that first month when we got rolled at home by ISU and Ft Wayne, really seemed to let the air out of the balloon quickly. And I still believe Romeo only came to IU because of the L'ville mess, and Lander has yet to prove to me he belongs at a P5 school. TJD was by far CAM's biggest recruiting win, but I also think one of CAM's death nails was the huge failure of this incoming class of 21 was for him. And I still feel CAM's single biggest recruiting miss-which might have cost him his job because of the impact it had on this past season- was Garcia. Having TJD and Garcia on the court together would have been one helluva matchup problem for other teams.

What will be a little strange is the look of IU ball on the court moving forward in time, if we truly are going to a 4/1 style offense. Sloanscreen 45 has gone the way of the dodo. Hopefully the high 3 man weave has as well, along with Phin pounding the air out of the ball for 20 seconds.

Sorry...sort of all over the map with my thoughts...I need to unplug and go fishing for 6 months. I wish the new season began tomorrow. Haven't felt that way in a long time.

Feel ya!

I however, am more than willing to wait until our returning players spend 6+ months working on their shooting technique.... 😉😎

Hopefully they're also going to be spending some extra time running stairs, having a teammate whack them on the arms a couple of times and then finding a stance they'll routinely be comfortable in, picking their point of aim (either just above the front of the rim or just in front of the back of the rim, taking a deep breath, letting out 1/2 of it, and then shooting 20+ free throws (rinse, repeat... till they get in 200 a day [minimum]) while having a friend or manager Chart their percentage)...🐿

Feel ya!

I however, am more than willing to wait until our returning players spend 6+ months working on their shooting technique.... 😉😎

Hopefully they're also going to be spending some extra time running stairs, having a teammate whack them on the arms a couple of times and then finding a stance they'll routinely be comfortable in, picking their point of aim (either just above the front of the rim or just in front of the back of the rim, taking a deep breath, letting out 1/2 of it, and then shooting 20+ free throws (rinse, repeat... till they get in 200 a day [minimum]) while having a friend or manager Chart their percentage)...🐿
oh I'm all for shooting a million free throws this summer. FT shooting and rebounding wins/loses more games than any other measurable metric (is that redundant? coffee hasn't kicked in yet). 3pt shooting is great but teams get streaky. Good FT/rebounding teams who do both consistently will always have a chance to win a game.

i briefly stuck my nose into GBI this morning and they have no comment on Bates or Hopp. And yet 3/4s of all posts are either IU related, or eventually spiral into IU topics.
They are still stuck on “what a bad hire” woody is. They fantasize about it. They still think he was 7th or 8th on the list. It’s looking like he was second or maybe third because we hired 3 people on their supposed list and never offered or talked to Beard or Drew. We just matched their recruiting class pretty well on short notice with veteran players and didn’t have to promise things that won’t happen...like playing a certain player at the 3.

Reactions: 76-1
You mean the assistant coach he hired? Hiring the right assistants is almost as important as actually coaching the team. It's one of the main reasons Archie is no longer here.
No, I mean the assistant he retained... from Archie remember? As I said, all signs are positive and even moreso as we've gotten Kopp since my first post, but saying recruiting is absolutely not a concern, is just your wish. There's no experience or track record to point to. Everyone wants to compare MW to Juwan Howard. Howard has the #1 class in the country for next year at this point, and did really well pulling in guys this past year, recruits and transfers. Do you think CMW will accomplish that next year? Top 10? Recruiting is most definitely a concern and you have nothing other than hopes and dreams to say otherwise.

No, I mean the assistant he retained... from Archie remember? As I said, all signs are positive and even moreso as we've gotten Kopp since my first post, but saying recruiting is absolutely not a concern, is just your wish. There's no experience or track record to point to. Everyone wants to compare MW to Juwan Howard. Howard has the #1 class in the country for next year at this point, and did really well pulling in guys this past year, recruits and transfers. Do you think CMW will accomplish that next year? Top 10? Recruiting is most definitely a concern and you have nothing other than hopes and dreams to say otherwise.
I agree with a lot of what you say. But I would argue that you would be hard pressed to say IU didn’t have a top 10 off-season already this year.
Retaining TJD
Retaining Stewart
Adding Johnson
Adding Kopp
Retaining Duncomb
Adding Bates

Recruiting is most definitely a concern and you have nothing other than hopes and dreams to say otherwise.
Well with what's happened so far it looks like my dreams are coming true.

I've got news for you though, history is on my side. Former NBA head coaches don't have trouble recruiting in college, never have never will. Because when the dust settles Mike can go into the recruit's home and tell them he coached in the league. That holds water, no matter how much you want to pretend it doesn't.

Well with what's happened so far it looks like my dreams are coming true.

I've got news for you though, history is on my side. Former NBA head coaches don't have trouble recruiting in college, never have never will. Because when the dust settles Mike can go into the recruit's home and tell them he coached in the league. That holds water, no matter how much you want to pretend it doesn't.
I never said it wouldn't work, just that recruiting success is not a slam dunk. Much more mixed bag of results than you are probably aware. You're mostly thinking of the "successes" many that haven't worked:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...0/college-coaches-nba-roots-met-mixed-results

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I never said it wouldn't work, just that recruiting success is not a slam dunk. Much more mixed bag of results than you are probably aware. You're mostly thinking of the "successes" many that haven't worked:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...0/college-coaches-nba-roots-met-mixed-results
I read the article but I'm not talking about results. Literally nobody has any idea if this is going to work out or not as he hasn't even coached a game at IU yet. Some guys win enough, others don't. That's the way it works with any coach not just former NBA coaches.

My post was about recruiting only, when he was hired some on this board were pretending like being a former NBA coach meant nothing to recruits. Funny many of those posters are nowhere to be found in this thread.

Either way there's no reason to have any doubts about his ability to recruit at this point. In just a few weeks he's convinced every key player (outside of Franklin) to stay, he's brought in multiple coveted transfers, and he landed a top 50ish recruit from Florida. When's the last time Indiana landed a recruit ranked that high from out of state, Vonleh?

He's killed it so far and anyone pretending like he hasn't either has ridiculous expectations, has already made up their mind to root against him, or is just flat out trolling.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I read the article but I'm not talking about results. Literally nobody has any idea if this is going to work out or not as he hasn't even coached a game at IU yet. Some guys win enough, others don't. That's the way it works with any coach not just former NBA coaches.

My post was about recruiting only, when he was hired some on this board were pretending like being a former NBA coach meant nothing to recruits. Funny many of those posters are nowhere to be found in this thread.

Either way there's no reason to have any doubts about his ability to recruit at this point. In just a few weeks he's convinced every key player (outside of Franklin) to stay, he's brought in multiple coveted transfers, and he landed a top 50ish recruit from Florida. When's the last time Indiana landed a recruit ranked that high from out of state, Vonleh?

He's killed it so far and anyone pretending like he hasn't either has ridiculous expectations, has already made up their mind to root against him, or is just flat out trolling.
No, you said recruiting was absolutely not a concern with him, and we have very little to go on, and since he's never had to do it in his professional career, absolutely it is a concern. So far so good, but as I pointed out, Archie had some outstanding recruiting wins, including 3 5* players in a 3 year span... and 3 straight Mr Bballs. I'm 100% in his corner and as I said, indications so far are terrific, but there is still a long row to hoe before we can say he's going to be great at recruiting. One of the first big hurdles I see coming up is that right now I believe most of the successes are due to Kenyan Hunter. What happens if he gets offered a better job next year and leaves? I think recruiting is the biggest challenge for any coach and to have real success in the program, you generally have to stack a few strong classes together. Early results are great, and here's hoping he can maintain and even build on that success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT