ADVERTISEMENT

Tamar Bates commits to IU!!!

Those stats alone, after all the clanged rims we’ve seen in recent years, are enough to get me excited about this kid.

Especially the FT%. The unsung killer stat!

I don't know what the stats are for the difference between a guy's high school free throw percentage vs his college percentage. I would guess - and that's all it is, just a guess - is that the percentage declines. Alford might have been an exception, but who knows?

Anyway, even if he were to fall to 78% I believe we'd be happy with that.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't know what the stats are for the difference between a guy's high school free throw percentage vs his college percentage. I would guess - and that's all it is, just a guess - is that the percentage declines. Alford might have been an exception, but who knows?

It would take a pretty big drop to get him below anyone on this past year's team except Al

Reactions: mk23 and 76-1
Very easy equation. Basketball is a game of making baskets. Being a good shooter is a starting point. Knight loved defense but he filled his teams with shooters.

I'm going to predict Bates comes in and averages 6-9ppg as a freshman.

Reactions: Seyton

Why would it decline? I get 3pt percentage dropping: better defenders, longer shot... neither apply to FTs. My expectation is that FT % would increase or stay the same for really good shooters. I think Alford was around 90 in both HS and at IU. Hard to get much better than that.

Why would it decline? I get 3pt percentage dropping: better defenders, longer shot... neither apply to FTs. My expectation is that FT % would increase or stay the same for really good shooters. I think Alford was around 90 in both HS and at IU. Hard to get much better than that.
socks, shorts, 1,2.3......

Interesting quote about shooting free throws in a game, from hall-of-famer Bob Cousy:

"The foul line is the one place on a basketball court where you can choke," Cousy said later. "Everything else is action and reaction. You don't have time to choke."

If you buy into that theory, then the mental aspect of shooing FTs in a game is just as important as your form in practice.

socks, shorts, 1,2.3......

Interesting quote about shooting free throws in a game, from hall-of-famer Bob Cousy:

"The foul line is the one place on a basketball court where you can choke," Cousy said later. "Everything else is action and reaction. You don't have time to choke."

If you buy into that theory, then the mental aspect of shooing FTs in a game is just as important as your form in practice.
Absolutely it is, that's why I'd expect it to improve or at least stay the same, as I think most players mental game improves a ton in college.

now if Lander can get him the ball in shooting position one pass before He would normally throw the Ball into the Pep Band, We may have something.

Reactions: mk23
now if Lander can get him the ball in shooting position one pass before He would normally throw the Ball into the Pep Band, We may have something.
Yea. Lander’s minutes on the floor just decreased in my opinion unless he makes considerable improvement in his shooting.

Hard to imagine a much better start for Woody. Coaching staff is solid, key transfer and now 2021 commit. Can’t wait to see what this roster looks like on the court next year.

I'm not saying you are wrong by any means... my questions is more around, why would a player's FT % decrease from HS to College? Or what would cause that if it is true? It shouldn't make sense really. The rims don't change, the distance doesn't change, the height is the same. Yet, as you said, the guess is that it declines. Maybe it is the mental grind or muscle fatigue from more physical play.... only things I can think of, but those should be conquerable.

I'm not saying you are wrong by any means... my questions is more around, why would a player's FT % decrease from HS to College? Or what would cause that if it is true? It shouldn't make sense really. The rims don't change, the distance doesn't change, the height is the same. Yet, as you said, the guess is that it declines. Maybe it is the mental grind or muscle fatigue from more physical play.... only things I can think of, but those should be conquerable.
Maybe because of the thousands of fans yelling and screaming.

Reactions: Crayfish57
One of the reasons it may decline somewhat is the structure of basketball arenas in college is different than high school. Very few High School gyms have end zone seating or as steep a structure to their seating. As you set up for a free throw your sight lines are different than what you are used to. It may take a little while to adjust. However, if you have a good shooter with good routine and good form, it shouldn't take long to make that adjustment.

Great !
We're building a nice rooster..Knew the portal could work in our favor..
I'm ready for some in person hoops in the Hall !!
I like that we will have competition at the guard positions. I'm not going to miss Durham. Johnson, Stewart, Phinisee, Lander, Leal and now Bates can compete. Reluctant shooters and those lacking confidence won't be forced to play.

It's just a gut feel, based on the college game being faster and more physical. The pressure is greater than when you're the high school star.

It could make an interesting study if someone could acquire the data. I couldn't find any high school stats for Alford and TJD, just in an attempt to quickly look at several examples. I did see that Alford shot 89.8% in college and 87% in the NBA. Not that this means anything. I just throw it out there for informational purposes only. It doesn't prove anything. I would think a shooter might shoot better in the pros based on nothing more than the greater attention to your profession and the time available.

High school stats on-line don't seem to be all that available based on my meager and quick attempts to find anything. Granted, it was only two guys.

If someone has an intern then maybe scores of calls could be made to high schools for a number of guys and a study could be done. I have no idea if it would have any value beyond informational purposes only. My guess - and that's all it is - is that free throw shooting - hell, maybe all shooting, including three-point - percentages go down a bit as guys move to the college game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT