ADVERTISEMENT

Taking my son to Bloomington on Friday

Tony Warwick

Hall of Famer
Oct 18, 2001
My 13 year old son and I are driving down to Florida and I'm stopping at IU to show him around as he's never been. I obviously want to hit all the major spots, Sample Gates, The Union, Nick's, etc, but I'm really hoping that we can somehow sneak into Assembly Hall or Cool Hall to browse around and take some pictures.

I actually e-mailed Dolson to ask for a formal tour, but he said they still have Covid restrictions. Any thoughts on if the doors may be open to pop in for a peek. Do I bribe someone? Anyone know if the players will be around the facilities?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My 13 year old son and I are driving down to Florida and I'm stopping at IU to show him around as he's never been. I obviously want to hit all the major spots, Sample Gates, The Union, Nick's, etc, but I'm really hoping that we can somehow sneak into Assembly Hall or Cool Hall to browse around and take some pictures.

I actually e-mailed Dolson to ask for a formal tour, but he said they still have Covid restrictions. Any thoughts on if the doors may be open to pop in for a peek. Do I bribe someone? Anyone know if the players will be around the facilities?

Put on older safety vest and scuffed hard hat. Nobody will even look at you.

Normally it would not be a problem, but with Covid restrictions don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work. I know they are being extra vigilant.

Check the far right hand door on the front side (17th) of TAH. Just act as if you know what you are doing. Otherwise Cook is usually open for the history tour on both levels but with C19 who knows. There are offices in there so knock if it is locked and see if somebody lets you walk through.

Try Social (same owners as Tap) IF they will let your son in...food is good.

my son is 22 now, and I live in Charlotte, NC, but I took him back to IN and my childhood haunts when he was 12. We left early on a Saturday morning and hustled to Cincy for an afternoon Reds game. Kings Island the next day, and then headed to IN the next morning saw the IN HOF in New Castle and stopped in at the world's largest HS gym and Hoosiers Gym on the way to Indy. Hit my HS in Indy, Speedway, Longs Donuts (maybe his fav stop!), Hinkle and Bankers Life. Btown next and we lucked out and met Tom Crean and Derek Elston in the parking lot. Crean was super nice and accomodating and when he heard about our trip and all the stops we made, said "you have to see our gyms!" and he arranged for a grad asst to take us to the practice gym, through the tunnel from Cook to Assembly Hall and we got to shoot in AH for about 30-40 minutes. Unbelievable. Also visited the baseball field, Memorial Stadium, HPER (this was really fun, we shot, played some 2 on 2 and also played racquetball), Library, IU Auditorium, Nicks and Mother Bears and stayed in the Student Union. If you really want to get in to AH, my suggestion is 1) email CMW.... start at he top! But then build in visits by AH/CH throughout your day. Go there first and look around AH and CH if open, and linger in the parking lot for awhile, go visit another site, but swing back by before lunch, after lunch and at the end of the day. I think you'd really need a Coach to grant access but if you luck out, it can happen! I was worried at the outset that he'd be bored, but it remains probably our favorite vacation together. I've posted these pics several times, but thanks for the trip down memory lane! My son graduated from NC St last month and it is always good to look these pics over!

IN-OH Trip 2012

my son is 22 now, and I live in Charlotte, NC, but I took him back to IN and my childhood haunts when he was 12. We left early on a Saturday morning and hustled to Cincy for an afternoon Reds game. Kings Island the next day, and then headed to IN the next morning saw the IN HOF in New Castle and stopped in at the world's largest HS gym and Hoosiers Gym on the way to Indy. Hit my HS in Indy, Speedway, Longs Donuts (maybe his fav stop!), Hinkle and Bankers Life. Btown next and we lucked out and met Tom Crean and Derek Elston in the parking lot. Crean was super nice and accomodating and when he heard about our trip and all the stops we made, said "you have to see our gyms!" and he arranged for a grad asst to take us to the practice gym, through the tunnel from Cook to Assembly Hall and we got to shoot in AH for about 30-40 minutes. Unbelievable. Also visited the baseball field, Memorial Stadium, HPER (this was really fun, we shot, played some 2 on 2 and also played racquetball), Library, IU Auditorium, Nicks and Mother Bears and stayed in the Student Union. If you really want to get in to AH, my suggestion is 1) email CMW.... start at he top! But then build in visits by AH/CH throughout your day. Go there first and look around AH and CH if open, and linger in the parking lot for awhile, go visit another site, but swing back by before lunch, after lunch and at the end of the day. I think you'd really need a Coach to grant access but if you luck out, it can happen! I was worried at the outset that he'd be bored, but it remains probably our favorite vacation together. I've posted these pics several times, but thanks for the trip down memory lane! My son graduated from NC St last month and it is always good to look these pics over!

IN-OH Trip 2012
Thanks for this. Always cherish these moments. Sounds like the two of you had great fun and forever lasting memories on this trip.

IN-OH Trip 2012
That's amazing, I wish I had reached out sooner and that we had more time. It's great to hear that Crean was so hospitable, I really think he was a great ambassador for the program. I may just hover around Cook until someone I recognize walks out and then try the same approach.

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
That's amazing, I wish I had reached out sooner and that we had more time. It's great to hear that Crean was so hospitable, I really think he was a great ambassador for the program. I may just hover around Cook until someone I recognize walks out and then try the same approach.
Cook is worth seeing and we were able to get in AH and walk around too. Actually went there first and while walking around the concourse area CTC was running with head phones on (it was brutally hot that August). I didn't want to bother him, so we moved on and went to Cook and then on the way out, saw them in the parking lot. I don't remember the layout, but I don't think the players mostly use the main entrance for CH, although it does have card readers to get to the practice area, but I think there's a side door. At the time I think they used the locker room in AH for some reason, but would assume there are lockers in CH. Where was the locker area that Cody and Vic sprung for? Its funny because we pretty much just walked in to all those places in shorts and shoes with a ball and got to shoot in every one. But, my Mom knew someone at Bankers Life and she was going to get us access to the floor to shoot. When we called, she said they were working on refinishing the floor and we couldn't get in.... go figure! Better lucky than good!

Yeah, I never liked CTC's style of ball, but I always remembered how cordial he was to us and he talked with my son a good bit. He did understand promoting the program.

IN-OH Trip 2012
Great memories there Kkott. Thanks for sharing. I have taken my son to a number of those spots as well. Good times!

Reactions: kkott
Who is the buffoon making the decision to still have Covid restrictions when the rest of the state has been fully open without masks for 2 months? That’s a shame.

I’d show him around the dorm section up by the stadium so he knows where he’d live if he goes there in a few years.

Who is the buffoon making the decision to still have Covid restrictions when the rest of the state has been fully open without masks for 2 months? That’s a shame.

I’d show him around the dorm section up by the stadium so he knows where he’d live if he goes there in a few years.
The same one who still has all government buildings locked down with restrictions. BMV, USPS etc. still require a mask.

where in Florida ? very hot now, so bring shorts--west coast is hottest now--from the Gulf--no signs of huricanes yet, but watch for them--as to Bloomington, took my son there in 1971--for his fresh year--didn't do much walking around--had meetings to attend--really hated to leave him there--alone--New Jersey kid--didn't know a soul--told me later that he was scared--after 3 years, ended up loving everything--went to Colorado--grad from there

Reactions: 76-1
Cook is worth seeing and we were able to get in AH and walk around too. Actually went there first and while walking around the concourse area CTC was running with head phones on (it was brutally hot that August). I didn't want to bother him, so we moved on and went to Cook and then on the way out, saw them in the parking lot. I don't remember the layout, but I don't think the players mostly use the main entrance for CH, although it does have card readers to get to the practice area, but I think there's a side door. At the time I think they used the locker room in AH for some reason, but would assume there are lockers in CH. Where was the locker area that Cody and Vic sprung for? Its funny because we pretty much just walked in to all those places in shorts and shoes with a ball and got to shoot in every one. But, my Mom knew someone at Bankers Life and she was going to get us access to the floor to shoot. When we called, she said they were working on refinishing the floor and we couldn't get in.... go figure! Better lucky than good!
The locker room/lounge in SSAH is the one Zeller and Dipo donated for. There is also a newly renovated locker room in CH.

TW: I got a story for you. Took my sons to B-town during a summer trip. Went to Reed Hall and showed them my room on Reed Beck 5. Hit the real hall later with video camera in hand. Still have video but never shared because I got some team footage and was afraid. Crean early years. Jobe's first.

So we start wandering down a hall (by the gift shop - hint), nobody around, and end up in Cook all by ourselves at the practice floor level. Place was basically new. Pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be there but I went with it. What are they going to do to an alumni with little kids? Worst case, ask us to leave nicely. (Knight threw me and roommate out of practice once. He was cool about it after we told him who we were. Big dude but I regress.)

So we are wondering around Cook and in comes Garl and the team. The entire team. Just finished lifting. My kids were tripping (I was too but I'm sure I held it in.) We watch them drill. The guys came over and said hey to the kids. (Middle school age boys) I told them I was an alum from Alabama here with the kids. They spoke to the kids and shook hands then went on to do some floor work. I mean wrestling for the ball floor work and we watched and I videoed the entire thing. Nobody ever asked me to leave. Super cool and priceless!

Hope your trip is just as memorable. Take masks so you don't get excluded and go for it. Go Hoosiers!
PS - Still not sure I'll share my tape. Not sure what the rules are or the statute of limitations. Massive grin! Old news now anyway. Go Hoosiers!

TW: I got a story for you. Took my sons to B-town during a summer trip. Went to Reed Hall and showed them my room on Reed Beck 5. Hit the real hall later with video camera in hand. Still have video but never shared because I got some team footage and was afraid. Crean early years. Jobe's first.

So we start wandering down a hall (by the gift shop - hint), nobody around, and end up in Cook all by ourselves at the practice floor level. Place was basically new. Pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be there but I went with it. What are they going to do to an alumni with little kids? Worst case, ask us to leave nicely. (Knight threw me and roommate out of practice once. He was cool about it after we told him who we were. Big dude but I regress.)

So we are wondering around Cook and in comes Garl and the team. The entire team. Just finished lifting. My kids were tripping (I was too but I'm sure I held it in.) We watch them drill. The guys came over and said hey to the kids. (Middle school age boys) I told them I was an alum from Alabama here with the kids. They spoke to the kids and shook hands then went on to do some floor work. I mean wrestling for the ball floor work and we watched and I videoed the entire thing. Nobody ever asked me to leave. Super cool and priceless!

Hope your trip is just as memorable. Take masks so you don't get excluded and go for it. Go Hoosiers!
PS - Still not sure I'll share my tape. Not sure what the rules are or the statute of limitations. Massive grin! Old news now anyway. Go Hoosiers!
That's outstanding, what a great memory, let's track down those tapes!

I'm pretty good at wandering into places where I'm not supposed to be. I made it into Indiana/Cubs Game 7 without a ticket, but that's a story for another day.

Looking forward to the trip.

There is almost always a door open. I hve visited many campuses over the years and always make a point to try to get inside the arenas. Found luck 80% of the time in the summer including getting into Breslin and running smack into Fife. He took me on a full tour.

Rattle all the doors

That's outstanding, what a great memory, let's track down those tapes!

I'm pretty good at wandering into places where I'm not supposed to be. I made it into Indiana/Cubs Game 7 without a ticket, but that's a story for another day.

Looking forward to the trip.
I know exactly where the file is my friend. It's backed up too. Panasonic digital video camera I had just purchased. Now I'd carry my phone. Huge Grin! Maybe I could share it with the board. Love to have a Mod provide guidance. It's great. Respectfully, Mobile.

How’d the visit to btown go?

How’d the visit to btown go?
It was great. We were delayed by getting into town so we only had a small window to explore, but we got into Cook Hall and took some decent pics and chatted with someone from the staff, but I didn't introduce myself so I'm not certain who it was.

How do I post pics using the Rivals mobile app?

Love Bedrock. Two of my best IU friends came from Bedford. Met them in the dorm freshman year. Great dudes. Both in my wedding and I in theirs. Great Southern Indiana town if you like small towns. Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT