ADVERTISEMENT

T Thompson continues International Soccer Tradition

snowling

Hall of Famer
Former Hoosier Tommy Thompson will represent the U.S. at the U20 World Cup this month.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. --
While the Indiana men's soccer team is known for its NCAA prowess, it also has a lengthy international soccer history. Hoosiers have represented the Red, White and Blue at Olympics, Gold Cup and World Cup competitions.

Current Major League Soccer stars Drew Moor, Lee Nguyen, Eric Alexander and Will Bruin all have caps with the U.S. Men's National Team. And the latest to join them on the international stage, Tommy Thompson has a deep-rooted Indiana soccer history.

Thompson is one of 21 players selected by head coach Tab Ramos to represent the United States at the 2015 U20 World Cup, taking place May 30-June 20 in New Zealand.

"Having Tommy represent the USA in the U20 World Cup is a tremendous honor," IU head coach Todd Yeagleysaid. "Tommy joins a distinguished list of IU players who have represented the USA at a World Cup. We wish Tommy and the entire team all the best as they kick off the U20 World Cup in New Zealand later this month."

The U.S. was drawn into Group A and will face Myanmar (May 30), host New Zealand (June 2) and Ukraine (June 5) in group play.

"I'm really looking forward to representing IU soccer on the global stage," Thompson said. "The U20 World Cup is a tremendous opportunity for young players and for me to be involved with this U.S. squad is a dream come true."

Thompson has been a stalwart for the U20 squad during World Cup qualifying, making 9 appearances in 2015 with seven starts. Thompson has 16 career caps with the U-20 National Team, tallying a total of three goals.

In addition to the above players plying their time with the U.S. Men's National Team, Thompson adds to a list of recent Hoosiers to play in youth international events. Eriq Zavaleta (2011-12) was a member of the 2009 U.S. U-17 World Cup team, as was Tommy Meyer (2008-11) in 2007. Kevin Alston (2006-08) was a member of the U-17 World Championships team in 2005 and represent the U.S. at the 2007 Pan Am Games. Ofori Sarkodie (2006-09) was a member of the 2007 U20 World Cup team, helping Team USA win group D and advance all the way to the quarterfinal round.

During his freshman season at Indiana in 2013, Thompson was able to learn from one of Indiana's most successful internationals. IU associate head coach Brian Maisonneuve represented the United States at the 1996 Olympics, as well as the 1998 World Cup.

"Tommy is a tremendous talent and was an absolute joy to work with," Maisonneuve said. "He is incredibly comfortable with the ball, has a great soccer brain, and his athleticism is high end. He has what it takes to get him to whatever level he wants. However, what will get him there is his attitude and work rate. There is no harder worker than Tommy Thompson. His willingness to listen and his overall coachability is what really separates him from other players at that level. He has what it takes to be great."

In his one season at Indiana Thompson had an immediate impact, leading the team in goals scored (5), total points (13) and shots (56). He was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year and helped lead the Hoosiers to the 2013 Big Ten Tournament title and an NCAA appearance.

"I credit Indiana for preparing me to make a smooth transition into professional soccer," Thompson said. "My time spent in Bloomington taught me what aspects of my game I needed to work on and prepared me for the physicality that comes at the next level. I couldn't be more grateful for the coaching staff's insight and direction that put me in a position to thrive in college soccer."

But for Thompson, he doesn't have to look very far for advice on international play and representing the United States. His father, Gregg Thompson, co-captained Indiana's 1982 National Championship team and represented the United States at the 1984 Olympic Games, earning 12 caps during his career.

And could there be even more Thompsons wearing the Stars and Stripes in the future? Oldest brother Ty is a senior on the Stanford men's soccer team, while his other brother Tanner is an All-American entering his junior season for the Hoosiers.

"I look forward to continuing to represent Indiana soccer on and off the field and can't wait for the World Cup to get started here in New Zealand," Thompson said.

Go Hoosiers!

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/052615aaa.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT