ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Still Smarting Over 1987 FF Game

Reactions: BHAII
They have completely owned us since then so hopefully we can reverse that trend! But we got the most important one!
Can you imagine if Smart had missed? There was probably 8 seconds left, what with the Orange Ones bumbling around for half that time before calling TO. They were so stunned by Smart’s bucket they completely collapsed…couldn’t even get their last inbounds play passed to anyone not named Smart…of all people! Is that beautiful or what? Anyway, if he had missed it would have been intense drama for the rebound, put-back attempt, roll-around-the-rim forever as if in slow motion. Things like that said. Nope, we didn’t have to go there and today, that’s why we still have warm-fuzzies all over everywhere when we think back on that often said “magic moment”…we, those of us lucky enough to have actually lived it.

Can you imagine if Smart had missed? There was probably 8 seconds left, what with the Orange Ones bumbling around for half that time before calling TO. They were so stunned by Smart’s bucket they completely collapsed…couldn’t even get their last inbounds play passed to anyone not named Smart…of all people! Is that beautiful or what? Anyway, if he had missed it would have been intense drama for the rebound, put-back attempt, roll-around-the-rim forever as if in slow motion. Things like that said. Nope, we didn’t have to go there and today, that’s why we still have warm-fuzzies all over everywhere when we think back on that often said “magic moment”…we, those of us lucky enough to have actually lived it.
Had they simply hit their free throws, they likely win.

Actually, four seconds left after the Smart bucket.

Actually, four seconds left after the Smart bucket.
Okay, I had always thought they wasted a four-bunch of seconds in zombie state, then called time-out. So tell me this, how much time was on the clock when they tried to inbounds the final play, the desperation heave that fell way too short The coup de grace was Smart’s arm sling up into the attic. What a graceful, all in one motion in muscular poetry. Smart had real long arms, short torso and long legs topped with an award-winning, infectious smile lighting up the sleepiest eyes you’ll ever see. Women became the silliest putty in his hand. That’s how I choose to remember that IU moment of however many doesn’t-really-matter seconds of time.

Okay, I had always thought they wasted a four-bunch of seconds in zombie state, then called time-out. So tell me this, how much time was on the clock when they tried to inbounds the final play, the desperation heave that fell way too short The coup de grace was Smart’s arm sling up into the attic. What a graceful, all in one motion in muscular poetry. Smart had real long arms, short torso and long legs topped with an award-winning, infectious smile lighting up the sleepiest eyes you’ll ever see. Women became the silliest putty in his hand. That’s how I choose to remember that IU moment of however many doesn’t-really-matter seconds of time.
If i recall correctly, the clock whittled down to one second before a TO was called. I recall Sherman Douglas, in frustration, tried to trip Keith after his heave.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
On “The Shot” there’s a photo of the ball going through the hoop and around the basket you’ll notice Alford, Hillman, Garrett, and Thomas all blocking out their man and in great position to rebound. Good chance an IU player would’ve had a rebound and put back if the shot rimmed out.

Reactions: ulrey
True, but not a good free throw shooter. They shouldn't have passed to him on the inbounds.
Thank good he wasn’t, and that they did.
On “The Shot” there’s a photo of the ball going through the hoop and around the basket you’ll notice Alford, Hillman, Garrett, and Thomas all blocking out their man and in great position to rebound. Good chance an IU player would’ve had a rebound and put back if the shot rimmed out.
Daryl and Hillman were both there, the other two probably would’ve have been a factor. DT’s guy followed the ball, which allowed Thomas to be well position. Hillman was basically alone in front of the basket, though Seikaly was right there. Glad it didn’t come down to that. SU was pretty stout on the boards.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT