ADVERTISEMENT

Sweat Bees this year

cryano

All-Big Ten
Apr 19, 2005
never even really noticed them before...but they are in swarms in my part of Sou IN right now.
Idk what attracts them, how to get rid of them, or why they are suddenly all over the place...but its pissing me off because another deterrant to my kids getting off the video games.

never even really noticed them before...but they are in swarms in my part of Sou IN right now.
Idk what attracts them, how to get rid of them, or why they are suddenly all over the place...but its pissing me off because another deterrant to my kids getting off the video games.

They have been driving us nuts on the golf course. While I was on the driving range before teeing off this morning, there must have been 15 or more on my golf bag. Once we began playing, they would buzz us while we were standing over shots and putts. I even swallowed one with about five holes remaining in our round. Another one stung me on the left side of my head.

They have been driving us nuts on the golf course. While I was on the driving range before teeing off this morning, there must have been 15 or more on my golf bag. Once we began playing, they would buzz us while we were standing over shots and putts. I even swallowed one with about five holes remaining in our round. Another one stung me on the left side of my head.
So the bees are inconsiderate bastards who don't respect golf etiquette. Who'd a thunk it?

Reactions: Hoops Cat
Was in Ferdinand, IN last weekend for a softball tournament and the sweat bees were ridiculous. Just annoying. I've never seen anything like it.

Reactions: cryano
They are not sweat bees. They are hover flies or corn flies and they are harmless. Annoying at Fock but harmless. I always thought they were sweat bees too until I came across an article on hover Flies. So McNutt did not get stung by one. It was probably a bee. And Cyrano, now you can kick your kids out of the house the lazy bastages.

I've noticed more of them when I am reading my book by the pool. I haven't noticed them in other areas of the yard, so I just assumed there was a nest of them nearby. Maybe our mild winter allowed them to thrive? We didn't have the brutally cold periods we have had the last 2 prior winters.

They were miserable at the lake this weekend (Cordry Lake in Nineveh, IN)

Yep we were at Sweetwater and they were everywhere. Annoying for sure. At least they don't sting like wasps and horseflies. We battled some of those as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT