ADVERTISEMENT

sWANNIGAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Painter any better than Crean because the last time I checked Painter has never been to a final four and both I believe has been to 2 sweet 16 at their current jobs.
You missed the sarcasm. I was trying to talk about basketball, and not give in to the insult fest. All I got back was trash, so ... never mind talking about basketball.

Furthermore, I don't think I posted anything about Tom Cream or Matt Painter in any of my posts in this thread. Don't know how you picked up that idea.

:cool:

Remind me what Tommy has done with that talent compared to what Painter has done with his talent.
Well, in 10 years, Pork Chop has been to the S16 twice.(or once?). IU in 7 years , twice. Pork Chop loses. I hope The Porkster coaches Purdue FOREVER!

Neither coach is Coach K. Here are their numbers at their current schools.

121-111 at current school
49-77 in Big Ten
1 Time Big Ten Coach of the year
Averages 17 wins per year
3/7 NCAA trips
Won Big Ten: 1
Won Big Ten Tourney: 0
Big Ten Finishes: 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 11
5 Star recruits: 5
Best NCAA Finish: 2 Sweet 16

212-125 at current school
101-75 in Big Ten
3 Time Big Ten Coach of the year
Averages 21 wins per year
7/10 NCAA trips
Won Big Ten Tourney: 1
Big Ten Finishes: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12
5 Star recruits: 1

I'm sure you can guess which is which based on years at the school. From stats alone, I would say one is better than the other by a fair margin. As a side note, Bob Knight averaged less than 23 wins per year at IU.

Cracks me up every time I see IU people mention this. The last 10 women I've seen in the 250+ club were all wearing IU gear and several of them were pushing 3hundo. Some of the hottest women I've seen lately were wearing PU gear. You guys act as if nobody that goes to IU is overweight and nobody from PU is hot.

True, the other thing is to constantly bash an Ag school as they sit in their trailer parks and eat Orville's. LOL

Neither coach is Coach K. Here are their numbers at their current schools.

121-111 at current school
49-77 in Big Ten
1 Time Big Ten Coach of the year
Averages 17 wins per year
3/7 NCAA trips
Won Big Ten Tourney: 0
Big Ten Finishes: 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 11
5 Star recruits: 5

212-125 at current school
101-75 in Big Ten
3 Time Big Ten Coach of the year
Averages 21 wins per year
7/10 NCAA trips
Won Big Ten Tourney: 1
Big Ten Finishes: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12
5 Star recruits: 1

I'm sure you can guess which is which based on years at the school. From stats alone, I would say one is better than the other by a fair margin. As a side note, Bob Knight averaged less than 23 wins per year at IU.

during Knight's tenure - they played 5-8 less games a year. 28 regular season, no BTT and then the NCAA's. 32-0 would have been 40-0 now

Reactions: Dr. Brule
during Knight's tenure - they played 5-8 less games a year. 28 regular season, no BTT and then the NCAA's. 32-0 would have been 40-0 now

I realize it is not a direct comparison. You may very well be correct that Knight would have had a lot more wins with larger schedules. That said, the tourney back then was smaller, so if he would have had to win more games to get his 3 NCAA titles, someone might have slipped in and beat him. Lot's of what-ifs... two different times in college basketball history.

To add to the stats a bit:

Average loses per year
Knight 8
Painter 12
Crean 16

As a Purdue fan I would have loved to have Knight as a coach. I don't agree with how he treated people, but he was a brilliant basketball mind.

I realize it is not a direct comparison. You may very well be correct that Knight would have had a lot more wins with larger schedules. That said, the tourney back then was smaller, so if he would have had to win more games to get his 3 NCAA titles, someone might have slipped in and beat him. Lot's of what-ifs... two different times in college basketball history.

huh? go look at his 3 titles and the 1987 was the only team that wasn't 'dominant' in the tourney and they had to win 6 games. 1976 and 1981 were simply monsters. if anything, Knight could easily have 2-3 more titles: 1975, 1980, 1993.

Reactions: silvercamaro
Walking quietly away from the insult exchange, toward a basketball discussion.

It is looking more and more like Hill may fill the PG role nicely. Feedback from practice is that he is very quick both offensively and defensively, and is quickly blending with the team. He seems to have the same work ethic that the rest of the team does. He is a pass-first PG who seems to have a good mid-range game. Hill is tall enough to guard the 1 or 2 spot, so that PG hole may not be as big as you might think.

Other news: Caleb ran a 5:41 mile, and is improving his conditioning everyday. AJ is running with the guards. It looks like the team is working hard on conditioning. Stephens has developed new aspects of his game making him very hard to guard, according to the other players. Not saying anything about the relative strengths of our schools, just saying that the PG position looks to be okay, and the team is well focused on the coming season. I think it is going to be a good year for basketball in the state of Indiana.

:cool:.
Yeah, well, we all have heard these types of "updates" throughout the summer and prior to the season starting. Two that come to mind are Tom Pritchard and Pat Bade. I remember hearing both guys are "tearing it up" in practices. Then the season starts and it's the same garbage. I'll believe the "hype" when I see it on the court. As for Hill, let's pump the breaks until we see him play some good competition. His A/TO ratio wasn't great and that was in a crap conference. His shooting wasn't that good, either. So, again, let's pump the breaks a bit. Hell, Crean said that Bryant's vertical has increased 9 inches since he's been at IU. I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Painter hasn't done much, I can tell you that. Neither has Crean. You're talking about the best looking turd. They both stink.
BINGO!

At least most knowledgeable IU fans recognize this. As for the Purdues, they think he's the next coming of John Wooden. Hope they keep him FOREVER.

BINGO!

At least most knowledgeable IU fans recognize this. As for the Purdues, they think he's the next coming of John Wooden. Hope they keep him FOREVER.
I particularly like the "if we do well we could get more 5*s in 2017" talk. History shows that to be a LONG shot.

I particularly like the "if we do well we could get more 5*s in 2017" talk. History shows that to be a LONG shot.

No high talent wants to play at Purdue - especially under Painter. They've had, what, 2 5 star players in 25 years there? He runs a terrible offense, facilities stink, ugly campus unless you love concrete and smokestacks, and we know all about the women....Albert landed there under very suspicious circumstances - kinda like Grob

No high talent wants to play at Purdue - especially under Painter. They've had, what, 2 5 star players in 25 years there? He runs a terrible offense, facilities stink, ugly campus unless you love concrete and smokestacks, and we know all about the women....Albert landed there under very suspicious circumstances - kinda like Grob
The really funny part is all of the PU fans defending the switch from MSU. You for CERTAIN if he flipped the other way from Purdue to MSU they would be all up in arms calling Izzo dirty and making up all kinds of wild stories about shady dealings. Now, they act like it's ludicrous to make any sort of accusation. Such a sad, pathetic group over there on GBI.

The really funny part is all of the PU fans defending the switch from MSU. You for CERTAIN if he flipped the other way from Purdue to MSU they would be all up in arms calling Izzo dirty and making up all kinds of wild stories about shady dealings. Now, they act like it's ludicrous to make any sort of accusation. Such a sad, pathetic group over there on GBI.

why would any supposedly talented kid, after a long drawn out recruitment, switch schools after a week from MSU to Burdue? Did he just wake up one day and say, "dang, fighting for NIT bids sounds like a lot more fun than making a final 4 run".

Reactions: Hoogolf and SNU0821

I'm curious about something. Have you actually seen the facilities that you claim are so bad? Id bet you've been in Mackey but that's all.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
This is a great example of making up a straw man and then, arguing aainst it. Pretty typical of SNU. It's a flawed argument, not supported by history.

Actually, Painter has gone head-to-head with Izzo on a number of players. They both seem to like the same kind of blue collar hard working kids. We were bound to get one. Glad it was Swanagan. As far as I know, there was only one player that had any dirt connected to his recruitment, and that was Dawson. The only dirt around Dawson started when the MSU guys thought they were going to lose him to Prudue. The discussion was on this board initially. You must have missed it.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT