ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court to take up Mississippi abortion case

They won't. And expanding doesn't necessarily mean packing.
Why are you certain they won't reverse the 5th Cir?

Re expanding and packing, I don't think a Congress is going to vote to add seats unless they plan on filling those seats with ideologically like-minded people.

If SCOTUS upholds the Mississippi law, do Dems pack the Court?
As of right now, there is no politically viable mechanism for expanding the court. Ask again in 2022, when this case is actually ruled on, I guess.

Reactions: stollcpa
My guess is it's only four. I find it hard to believe they turned Kavanaugh and Barrett at the same time. One of them is probably not on board yet.
Interesting. I had both down as locks, along with Thomas and Alito (of course). I think Gorsuch is the wild card.

Interesting. I had both down as locks, along with Thomas and Alito (of course). I think Gorsuch is the wild card.
I suppose that's equally as possible. This was bouncing around before RBG died, so we know either Kavanaugh or Gorsuch was reticent. Perhaps it was Gorsuch all along, and Barrett brought the needed fourth vote.

Either way, I find it unlikely they are on the brink of overturning Roe.

Ask again in 2022, when this case is actually ruled on, I guess.

Wow, do the Republicans really want high voter turnout in a mid term again? Could cover a lot of perceived Dem shortfalls (meaning Dems would 100% make the midterms about abortion rights).

Wow, do the Republicans really want high voter turnout in a mid term again? Could cover a lot of perceived Dem shortfalls (meaning Dems would 100% make the midterms about abortion rights).

It might help in the House, the Senate has very little in play. Looking at red seats that were close last time, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. And I'm not sure Missouri is possible for a D. But it might be enough to keep the vulnerable Ds in, keeping the Senate at 50-50.

The Mississippi Law addresses the very problem O'connor said would one day occur. It will be very interesting to see arguments and science put forth on each side and even more interesting to see how the court deals with it. I've always wondered when the issue would finally become ripe for the Court.

The Mississippi Law addresses the very problem O'connor said would one day occur. It will be very interesting to see arguments and science put forth on each side and even more interesting to see how the court deals with it. I've always wondered when the issue would finally become ripe for the Court.
for sure. fascinating stuff. there are arguments to be made that viability is conceptually an illegitimate basis for abortion regulation. viability is a fluid concept that adapts to medical technology and medical realities. not to mention it's even understood differently within areas of law (abortion/criminality). it'll be interesting to see how the question before the court is resolved - law and medicine

Last edited:
It might help in the House, the Senate has very little in play. Looking at red seats that were close last time, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. And I'm not sure Missouri is possible for a D. But it might be enough to keep the vulnerable Ds in, keeping the Senate at 50-50.

I think the Senate has several contested races in 2022 with Republicans on the defense more than the Democrats. Georgia and NH seem in play for a Republican victory, but I can see several tough races for Republicans to defend (FL, NC, OH, PA, WI, IA).

I think the Senate has several contested races in 2022 with Republicans on the defense more than the Democrats. Georgia and NH seem in play for a Republican victory, but I can see several tough races for Republicans to defend (FL, NC, OH, PA, WI, IA).

For Florida, until a D wins a statewide race, I'm just putting it down as a solid R. It has led many a Democrat to failure. Iowa has a dearth of statewide dems as well. In theory, Ohio passes the test because of Brown, but every election makes Brown appear increasingly like a left-handed unicorn carrying a winning Powerball ticket. NC, PA, WI could happen with turnout, but it is an off-year.

For Florida, until a D wins a statewide race, I'm just putting it down as a solid R. It has led many a Democrat to failure. Iowa has a dearth of statewide dems as well. In theory, Ohio passes the test because of Brown, but every election makes Brown appear increasingly like a left-handed unicorn carrying a winning Powerball ticket. NC, PA, WI could happen with turnout, but it is an off-year.
I saw that Val Demming is running in FL. That will be interesting. Can't wait to watch the Republican primary in OH. There will be some true crazies running and if one of them gets the nod, it could make the general competitive. WI and NC could go either way and I have a good feeling about PA.

I saw that Val Demming is running in FL. That will be interesting. Can't wait to watch the Republican primary in OH. There will be some true crazies running and if one of them gets the nod, it could make the general competitive. WI and NC could go either way and I have a good feeling about PA.
She will probably run in the new heavily Dem Orlando vote sink

Reactions: bailey777
David McCormick is going to win in Pennsylvania

Florida will be an easy Republican win. Ron Johnson will win by five plus in Wisconsin. Iowa will also be an easy Republican hold and so will Ohio. North Carolina will be a hold as well and Penns is a toss up. I mean what are dems suppose to run on? They certainly cannot have Biden out with them in swing states. He is toxic.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Not interesting at all. Florida gets more red by the day. It will not even be close.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
With Desantis on the ticket it will be a landslide for the Rs down there.
Correct Baris think's Desantis will win by 7% or more and Baris is the king of Florida polling. Nobody polls the state better or is more accurate. He said it will not even be close and the Democrat Party in Florida is an absolute mess. His words.

Florida will be an easy Republican win. Ron Johnson will win by five plus in Wisconsin. Iowa will also be an easy Republican hold and so will Ohio. North Carolina will be a hold as well and Penns is a toss up. I mean what are dems suppose to run on? They certainly cannot have Biden out with them in swing states. He is toxic.
Parnell endorsed McCormick which will help with primary voters

I don’t see NH flipping without a GOP recruitment miracle. But maybe if it really is a massive red wave.
I think there’s a better chance of Whitmer losing the Michigan Gov race. But even that I would put as a pure toss up

Kavanaugh has talked the moderate game, but his votes have had the same results as Alito's or Thomas's. Too soon to tell with Barrett, but I expect nothing different.
If we’re talking your definition of moderate then no.

They haven’t gone far right with every decision. Based on how hard the Democrats tried to keep them off the court I assumed they were extreme right.
I'm not even sure what that means. So far, their votes seem to fit their judicial philosophies, which are largely conservative. I'm fairly certain "the Democrats tried to keep them off the court" - as you put it - because of abortion. We'll see how that pans out next year.

I'm not even sure what that means. So far, their votes seem to fit their judicial philosophies, which are largely conservative. I'm fairly certain "the Democrats tried to keep them off the court" - as you put it - because of abortion. We'll see how that pans out next year.
I guess.

They’ve already voted against the conservatives on the court. Wonder if that ever happens with the liberal justices?

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory

Johnson was written off for dead 6 years ago. Now he may be looking at a comfortable re-election

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT