Supreme Court to take up Mississippi abortion case

BradStevens

Redshirt
Silver Member
Mar 16, 2021
They won't. And expanding doesn't necessarily mean packing.
Why are you certain they won't reverse the 5th Cir?

Re expanding and packing, I don't think a Congress is going to vote to add seats unless they plan on filling those seats with ideologically like-minded people.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville

If SCOTUS upholds the Mississippi law, do Dems pack the Court?
As of right now, there is no politically viable mechanism for expanding the court. Ask again in 2022, when this case is actually ruled on, I guess.

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
My guess is it's only four. I find it hard to believe they turned Kavanaugh and Barrett at the same time. One of them is probably not on board yet.
Interesting. I had both down as locks, along with Thomas and Alito (of course). I think Gorsuch is the wild card.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Interesting. I had both down as locks, along with Thomas and Alito (of course). I think Gorsuch is the wild card.
I suppose that's equally as possible. This was bouncing around before RBG died, so we know either Kavanaugh or Gorsuch was reticent. Perhaps it was Gorsuch all along, and Barrett brought the needed fourth vote.

Either way, I find it unlikely they are on the brink of overturning Roe.

larsIU

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 17, 2010
Ask again in 2022, when this case is actually ruled on, I guess.

Wow, do the Republicans really want high voter turnout in a mid term again? Could cover a lot of perceived Dem shortfalls (meaning Dems would 100% make the midterms about abortion rights).

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Sep 4, 2001
Wow, do the Republicans really want high voter turnout in a mid term again? Could cover a lot of perceived Dem shortfalls (meaning Dems would 100% make the midterms about abortion rights).

It might help in the House, the Senate has very little in play. Looking at red seats that were close last time, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. And I'm not sure Missouri is possible for a D. But it might be enough to keep the vulnerable Ds in, keeping the Senate at 50-50.

Jg48

Freshman
Mar 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
The Mississippi Law addresses the very problem O'connor said would one day occur. It will be very interesting to see arguments and science put forth on each side and even more interesting to see how the court deals with it. I've always wondered when the issue would finally become ripe for the Court.

mcmurtry66

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2019
The Mississippi Law addresses the very problem O'connor said would one day occur. It will be very interesting to see arguments and science put forth on each side and even more interesting to see how the court deals with it. I've always wondered when the issue would finally become ripe for the Court.
for sure. fascinating stuff. there are arguments to be made that viability is conceptually an illegitimate basis for abortion regulation. viability is a fluid concept that adapts to medical technology and medical realities. not to mention it's even understood differently within areas of law (abortion/criminality). it'll be interesting to see how the question before the court is resolved - law and medicine

Last edited:

Circlejoe

All-Big Ten
Sep 26, 2001
It might help in the House, the Senate has very little in play. Looking at red seats that were close last time, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. And I'm not sure Missouri is possible for a D. But it might be enough to keep the vulnerable Ds in, keeping the Senate at 50-50.

I think the Senate has several contested races in 2022 with Republicans on the defense more than the Democrats. Georgia and NH seem in play for a Republican victory, but I can see several tough races for Republicans to defend (FL, NC, OH, PA, WI, IA).

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Sep 4, 2001
I think the Senate has several contested races in 2022 with Republicans on the defense more than the Democrats. Georgia and NH seem in play for a Republican victory, but I can see several tough races for Republicans to defend (FL, NC, OH, PA, WI, IA).

For Florida, until a D wins a statewide race, I'm just putting it down as a solid R. It has led many a Democrat to failure. Iowa has a dearth of statewide dems as well. In theory, Ohio passes the test because of Brown, but every election makes Brown appear increasingly like a left-handed unicorn carrying a winning Powerball ticket. NC, PA, WI could happen with turnout, but it is an off-year.

Circlejoe

All-Big Ten
Sep 26, 2001
For Florida, until a D wins a statewide race, I'm just putting it down as a solid R. It has led many a Democrat to failure. Iowa has a dearth of statewide dems as well. In theory, Ohio passes the test because of Brown, but every election makes Brown appear increasingly like a left-handed unicorn carrying a winning Powerball ticket. NC, PA, WI could happen with turnout, but it is an off-year.
I saw that Val Demming is running in FL. That will be interesting. Can't wait to watch the Republican primary in OH. There will be some true crazies running and if one of them gets the nod, it could make the general competitive. WI and NC could go either way and I have a good feeling about PA.

Spartans9312

Senior
Nov 11, 2004
I saw that Val Demming is running in FL. That will be interesting. Can't wait to watch the Republican primary in OH. There will be some true crazies running and if one of them gets the nod, it could make the general competitive. WI and NC could go either way and I have a good feeling about PA.
She will probably run in the new heavily Dem Orlando vote sink