ADVERTISEMENT

Summer travel plans. Thoughts

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
The Eppy’s have been procrastinating with our summer plans, but we think we’d like to do a Pacific Northwest trip with our three girls ages 9, 12 & 13. I really have no clue whrrr exactly to go other than saying my initial thought is flying into San Francisco and then head north as far as Vancouver or fly into Seattle and head south.

We like both big cities and parks so I know there’s way to much to do in the 9-10 days we have. We’ll be heading there end of June and have the first week in July to enjoy the area.

I just got back from San Francisco last week which has always been one of my fave cities, but I gotta say it felt like a real dumpster this time. The amount of homelessness, wide open drug use (needles not pot, think hamsterdamn), trash and feces in the street was alarming. Maybe it’s always been this way but I just now noticed. I’d love to show my kids the beautiful parts of the city but honestly I could skip it altogether and focus on Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.

Thoughts?

You can easily fill up 9 days in the Northwest and never make it to San Francisco. I will look around for information for you, but Vancouver, Windsor, BC, Portland, Seattle and the areas around them are full of things. Interesting to note that Washington is the only state with all four climate areas - Ocean, Mountains, Rain Forest and Desert.

The Eppy’s have been procrastinating with our summer plans, but we think we’d like to do a Pacific Northwest trip with our three girls ages 9, 12 & 13. I really have no clue whrrr exactly to go other than saying my initial thought is flying into San Francisco and then head north as far as Vancouver or fly into Seattle and head south.

We like both big cities and parks so I know there’s way to much to do in the 9-10 days we have. We’ll be heading there end of June and have the first week in July to enjoy the area.

I just got back from San Francisco last week which has always been one of my fave cities, but I gotta say it felt like a real dumpster this time. The amount of homelessness, wide open drug use (needles not pot, think hamsterdamn), trash and feces in the street was alarming. Maybe it’s always been this way but I just now noticed. I’d love to show my kids the beautiful parts of the city but honestly I could skip it altogether and focus on Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.

Thoughts?

Mount St. Helens

Reactions: iucutter87
Mrs, hooky is from the bay area and we stopped going into SF about 5 years ago after getting harassed/accosted by a couple of people that were off their rocker. 2 sep incidents. 1 in the tenderloin, which wasn't that surprising, and the other in North Beach. It was building up to that day for a few years with lots of uncomfortable situations in prior years. I was there for a trade show at Masconi earlier this year and was appalled at what I saw. I personally wouldn't take young kids into SF and walk around to see the sights. Do the wharf, GG bridge, some if the touristy areas and then get out of dodge.

If you go south, take 1 down to Santa Barbara and see Monterey, Big Sur, San Simeon &Hearst Castle. You can make that trip last a week easy.

If you go north, take 1 again and see the sites all the way to Seattle and into CAN.

Personally, I wish I would have taken my kids to the PNW and spent time in the cascades, crater lake, Olympic, etc..

Reactions: kkott
Mrs, hooky is from the bay area and we stopped going into SF about 5 years ago after getting harassed/accosted by a couple of people that were off their rocker. 2 sep incidents. 1 in the tenderloin, which wasn't that surprising, and the other in North Beach. It was building up to that day for a few years with lots of uncomfortable situations in prior years. I was there for a trade show at Masconi earlier this year and was appalled at what I saw. I personally wouldn't take young kids into SF and walk around to see the sights. Do the wharf, GG bridge, some if the touristy areas and then get out of dodge.

If you go south, take 1 down to Santa Barbara and see Monterey, Big Sur, San Simeon &Hearst Castle. You can make that trip last a week easy.

If you go north, take 1 again and see the sites all the way to Seattle and into CAN.

Personally, I wish I would have taken my kids to the PNW and spent time in the cascades, crater lake, Olympic, etc..

I agree, the PNW is awesome and I could easily spend more than a week there and not be bored, nor feel like I saw all I wanted to. I took my daughter last year for her SB and we stayed in Seattle for 3 days then went up and visited my sister in Bellingham and went to the San Juan Islands. I'm going back this summer to be there with longer days and warmer weather. You can still encounter lots of snow at higher elevations pretty late in to the year. We're skipping Seattle this summer and planning to focus on the Natl Parks, San Juans, Victoria and Vancouver.

I agree, the PNW is awesome and I could easily spend more than a week there and not be bored, nor feel like I saw all I wanted to. I took my daughter last year for her SB and we stayed in Seattle for 3 days then went up and visited my sister in Bellingham and went to the San Juan Islands. I'm going back this summer to be there with longer days and warmer weather. You can still encounter lots of snow at higher elevations pretty late in to the year. We're skipping Seattle this summer and planning to focus on the Natl Parks, San Juans, Victoria and Vancouver.
Wanna meet up and swap wives?

I'm from Indiana so when you say tenderloin I think sandwich. Two questions, Is there a place called tenderloin? Second, do they sell tenderloin sandwiches there? Ok, a third, if there are tenderloin sandwiches there are they any good?

Thoughts?
My youngest son took a road trip from Indiana to Colorado with a friend of his a few years ago and really liked it a lot. My wife spent time in Boulder when she was in tech school for the Air Force and said it was beautiful. I've never been to Colorado so can't speak on it. If you've never been there it might at least be a possibility.

My youngest son took a road trip from Indiana to Colorado with a friend of his a few years ago and really liked it a lot. My wife spent time in Boulder when she was in tech school for the Air Force and said it was beautiful. I've never been to Colorado so can't speak on it. If you've never been there it might at least be a possibility.
Colorado is great, we've been there 3 times now with the kids. Try the weed, you'll have a religious experience!

I'm from Indiana so when you say tenderloin I think sandwich. Two questions, Is there a place called tenderloin? Second, do they sell tenderloin sandwiches there? Ok, a third, if there are tenderloin sandwiches there are they any good?
I'm from Indiana too.

Answer to first question: Yes, there's a place called The Tenderloin. That's why I called it The Tenderloin.

Answer to second question: No

Answer to third question: Don't let your relative comedy success in the other thread go to your head. A man's got to know his limits.

You can find the answer to simple things via google and Wikipedia

I'm from Indiana too.

Answer to first question: Yes, there's a place called The Tenderloin. That's why I called it The Tenderloin.

Answer to third question: Don't let your relative comedy success in the other thread go to your head. A man's got to know his limits.

So a place called The Tenderloin in San Francisco does NOT sell tenderloin sandwiches?

May explain why SF is failing.

Like a place called The Steak not selling steak.

Reactions: 76-1
I'm from Indiana too.

Never joke about a tenderloin. Here in Pennsylvania a lot of the people have never even heard of a tenderloin. I had to take a picture of one we had while on vacation and show them what they were all about.

They ran out around the turn of the last century, or so. Natural gas that is. They do have a big Love's on the 69 exit that sells the liquid stuff.
Do they have roller hot dogs? I like them wrinkly.
homer-simpson-drooling-wallpaper-3.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT