ADVERTISEMENT

Stupid Foul by Purdue / Painter

Not sure why Painter had Purdue foul at end of game. Virginia had nothing going before foul. Make 1 free throw and miss 2nd. Tap out and dude makes jumper at buzzer. Herculean effort by Edwards all tournament. Hats off to him
I got a question. If Virginia back taps the ball into the backcourt and they are the first ones to touch the ball is it an over and back? Maybe PU touched the ball too. It happened so fast.

Not sure why Painter had Purdue foul at end of game. Virginia had nothing going before foul. Make 1 free throw and miss 2nd. Tap out and dude makes jumper at buzzer. Herculean effort by Edwards all tournament. Hats off to him
You did watch the same game right? How many 3s did Virginia hit in the second half. Not much to second guess IMO. Well played epic game by both teams.

I thought the lack of overplaying the guard’s strong hand at the end of regulation was a fatal flaw. That pass was too easy.

Nope, you're wrong. Let the game play out there. Virginia hadn't had a good possession in several minutes. If someone buries a 3 then u live with it

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
The foul was stupid but not for the reasons listed. The foul should of came under 4 seconds. That way, if they make 2 free throws and fould purdue they only have a couple of seconds to go full court. The foul occurred to early and those things can come back and bite you. Ugh..

With 20/20 hindsight, sure we’re all great coaches.

VA had two guys knocking down threes all 2nd half. It was much more likely for Purdue to give up a tieing three than it was for VA to make a free throw/miss the second/tap the ball 3/4 of the court/get it back/advance it 75 feet/then make an eight foot jumper over a 7’3” guy with 2/10s of a second before the buzzer sounds.

Easy-peazy.

Agree. Edwards was the reason Purdoo even had a chance. That dude was unconscious all night.
imgres

Agree. Edwards was the reason Purdoo even had a chance. That dude was unconscious all night.
imgres
He was. I thought when it went to OT that Purdue was going to lose. A lot of the shots Edwards was taking and making were difficult. They were either with someone in his face or way behind the line. It was only a matter of time until they stopped dropping. It was one of the best individual games I've watched since Respert blew up IU back in the day.

I guarantee coach K doesn't foul there. Watch the replay, Virginia was out of sync.

Better question is why didn't Painter have another big in to help rebound the missed free throw? Putting Eiffert on the block was a bad idea, especially given Virginia's offensive rebounding throughout the game and the fact that Purdue still had two timeouts left.

I got a question. If Virginia back taps the ball into the backcourt and they are the first ones to touch the ball is it an over and back? Maybe PU touched the ball too. It happened so fast.
Tapping is not control, so it can go into the backcourt,

I guarantee coach K doesn't foul there. Watch the replay, Virginia was out of sync.
It's an age-old debate among coaches (at least since the 3-pt line has been in existence). Personally, I'd do what Purdue did. The odds are not very good that a team is going to be successful at missing that second shot, getting an offensive rebound (without coming over the back), and getting a decent look to score. A lot of things had to go right for UVA to get that game to overtime. You have to step up the lane and screen out. It was the same mistake Morgan made in our game at AH that let Haarms get the tip to beat us.

Reactions: hoosierraven
With 20/20 hindsight, sure we’re all great coaches.

VA had two guys knocking down threes all 2nd half. It was much more likely for Purdue to give up a tieing three than it was for VA to make a free throw/miss the second/tap the ball 3/4 of the court/get it back/advance it 75 feet/then make an eight foot jumper over a 7’3” guy with 2/10s of a second before the buzzer sounds.

Easy-peazy.
Think about what you just wrote - everything that had to go WRONG for Purdue to lose that game. Add in the missed FT by Cline with 14 seconds left.

I think it was the right call. It’s tough to pull off 3 points the way Virginia did there. Much higher percentage to hit the trey. And you have to play the averages.

I wish more coaches would do what Painter did, even if it turned up craps on him tonight.

imgres

If you just looked at VA’s stats — TOs (5), Assists (14), Offensive Rebounds (17), FT percentage (17-21) — you’d come away thinking they won in a rout.

Almost the sole reason they didn’t was Carson Edwards. It’s not often you can compare a performance to some of Steph Curry’s masterpieces. But that’s the best comparison I can come up with. It was, in a word, dominating.

I would think his draft stock got a boost in this tournament. He looked incredible.

It's an age-old debate among coaches (at least since the 3-pt line has been in existence). Personally, I'd do what Purdue did. The odds are not very good that a team is going to be successful at missing that second shot, getting an offensive rebound (without coming over the back), and getting a decent look to score. A lot of things had to go right for UVA to get that game to overtime. You have to step up the lane and screen out. It was the same mistake Morgan made in our game at AH that let Haarms get the tip to beat us.
It’s a close call. At the time I was shouting for them not to foul but understand the arguments for the foul. UVA was getting so many offensive rebounds and loose balls around the basket that rebounding the second missed shot and scoring also must be considered. Haarms needs to seriously hit the weight room this offseason. He seriously underperformed.

The foul was stupid but not for the reasons listed. The foul should of came under 4 seconds. That way, if they make 2 free throws and fould purdue they only have a couple of seconds to go full court. The foul occurred to early and those things can come back and bite you. Ugh..

I can’t disagree with that. But I’m sure VA wanted to get a quick three to allow for the possibility of another try.

All in all, I think it was the right call by Painter. It’s going to be second-guessed to death, I’m sure. But that’s always the case when a tough coaching call doesn’t work out.

If you just looked at VA’s stats — TOs (5), Assists (14), Offensive Rebounds (17), FT percentage (17-21) — you’d come away thinking they won in a rout.

Almost the sole reason they didn’t was Carson Edwards. It’s not often you can compare a performance to some of Steph Curry’s masterpieces. But that’s the best comparison I can come up with. It was, in a word, dominating.

I would think his draft stock got a boost in this tournament. He looked incredible.
If Edwards ultimate goal is the NBA, then there’s no way he comes back. His stock can only go down from here.

That dude was amazing.

Reactions: hoosierraven
I can't imagine Carsen coming back for another year. How can he top his performance this March?

Edwards won't have Kline next year to take some heat off... I also heard next years draft is more loaded, he needs to get while the gettin's good.

Reactions: ufo33
ADVERTISEMENT