ADVERTISEMENT

Student Section Relocation

Don’t know yet. I would guess the idea to move the student section came after the seat selection.

This also seems like an idea that would come from the new staff since the athletic dept has had the students in the same spot for a long time.
The kids did a good job at filling/staying last year. Maybe it’ll add to the illusion of a semi full stadium with full end of the bowl?

The kids did a good job at filling/staying last year. Maybe it’ll add to the illusion of a semi full stadium with full end of the bowl?
Could be.

One disadvantage of all the students in the north endzone is those seats are set pretty far back from the field (~15 yards from field to seats) — probably my only gripe with the north endzone design. Could reduce the noise/atmosphere impact from the kids if they’re all in the north end.

At JMU the students are in the endzone and also along half of one sideline. Maybe the new staff wants to wrap students around more of the field. We’ll see.

I come from the camp, "try something, anything" of a different twist to build some new dynamics. I really don't care if they transport 20 bus loads of HS kids from around the state to all this seasons home games. Do something to change the paradigm of past IUFB outlook and marketing. New brand for IUFB.

As I see it, if we start winning, you can complain but it won't really resonate. If we still lose, you can sit wherever you want because there will be plenty of available seats.

I don't necessarily understand the crowd sound dynamics of the stadium as it relates to being off to the side vs driving directly into it but I would like at least one end zone to give us an advantage with the student section and that is the only one that can.

Either way, the timing of the change does suck.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I come from the camp, "try something, anything" of a different twist to build some new dynamics. I really don't care if they transport 20 bus loads of HS kids from around the state to all this seasons home games. Do something to change the paradigm of past IUFB outlook and marketing. New brand for IUFB.

Winning needs to be the new brand for IUFB!
All else will fall into place.

History says they will be gone by halftime.

So it appears they are not displacing the current student section, but the overflow student seats that in the past were moved to the south east part of the stadium is what is being moved. They’re trying to keep all of the students together rather than having the public and faculty and staff section in between the two groups of students.

IU statement on this issue is below -- confirms what this thread has already figured out.

"The entire IU football student section is being moved to the north end of the stadium between sections 13 and 24. This change will enable all IU students to sit together, and this contiguous student section will also enable more IU students to be seated closer to the Memorial Stadium field."

"The level of support that we have received from IU students in recent years has been tremendous, which is why we are able to make this exciting change," said IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Dolson. "This new student section promises to create an electric atmosphere on gamedays, particularly when visiting teams have the ball on that end of the field. In addition, by relocating our students to the north end, they'll be the first to welcome our team onto the field moments before kickoff."

IU Release on New Student Section

IU statement on this issue is below -- confirms what this thread has already figured out.

"The entire IU football student section is being moved to the north end of the stadium between sections 13 and 24. This change will enable all IU students to sit together, and this contiguous student section will also enable more IU students to be seated closer to the Memorial Stadium field."

"The level of support that we have received from IU students in recent years has been tremendous, which is why we are able to make this exciting change," said IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Dolson. "This new student section promises to create an electric atmosphere on gamedays, particularly when visiting teams have the ball on that end of the field. In addition, by relocating our students to the north end, they'll be the first to welcome our team onto the field moments before kickoff."

IU Release on New Student Section
Yes, this isn't the huge issue it looked to be at first, nonetheless, these Dolson quotes are BS. PR at its finest.

Seems pretty obvious this will lead to more "premium" 30 ish yard line to 30 yard line seats being available to season ticket holders and general public. Those seats should command more money and more interest.

The students can take "ownership" of the North End Zone, potentially give it some sort of name, its more of a natural dedicated space, the staff can use that endzone strategically when deciding on coin flips and stuff.

Makes sense to me. Yet another "makes sense" move by the program since Cig was hired.

**and I agree on the NEZ design...it was one of the only gripes I had about it was the seats were too high, and the curved design seemingly unecessarilly pushed the face of the NEZ too far away from the endzone. I'm sure part of that was because of how high it was, that the sight lines would have been bad if you pushed the edge all the way up closer to the endzone. Overall, I love the design, just wish they had that facade a couple feet shorter, and it close to end zone.

Seems pretty obvious this will lead to more "premium" 30 ish yard line to 30 yard line seats being available to season ticket holders and general public. Those seats should command more money and more interest.

The students can take "ownership" of the North End Zone, potentially give it some sort of name, its more of a natural dedicated space, the staff can use that endzone strategically when deciding on coin flips and stuff.

Makes sense to me. Yet another "makes sense" move by the program since Cig was hired.

**and I agree on the NEZ design...it was one of the only gripes I had about it was the seats were too high, and the curved design seemingly unecessarilly pushed the face of the NEZ too far away from the endzone. I'm sure part of that was because of how high it was, that the sight lines would have been bad if you pushed the edge all the way up closer to the endzone. Overall, I love the design, just wish they had that facade a couple feet shorter, and it close to end zone.
No, it really won't. THe primary student section is staying right where it was. When the students filled that area, the extra students were moved down to the southeast corner and up higher (I don't think their seats went down to the front row). All this is doing is moving that overflow student section to the NE side to be contiguous with the main student section. No seats between the 30s are impacted.

Could be.

One disadvantage of all the students in the north endzone is those seats are set pretty far back from the field (~15 yards from field to seats) — probably my only gripe with the north endzone design. Could reduce the noise/atmosphere impact from the kids if they’re all in the north end.

At JMU the students are in the endzone and also along half of one sideline. Maybe the new staff wants to wrap students around more of the field. We’ll see.
As a recent alum, in my humble opinion this should help with noise/home field advantage.

You're right those seats are further back from the field than the overflow seats the students used to have near the south end zone, however I sat in the overflow section for two of my 15+ games attended from 2021-2023 and there was very little atmosphere in that section that would differentiate it from general seating anyway.

Many students go more for the atmosphere than the game itself so vantage point to the field is not as important to them. Wrapping it around to make one united student section (with the band right in the heart of it) should make the students themselves more engaged and when the game is at the north end our guys should have a much clearer home field advantage than they've had in the past.

As a recent alum, in my humble opinion this should help with noise/home field advantage.

You're right those seats are further back from the field than the overflow seats the students used to have near the south end zone, however I sat in the overflow section for two of my 15+ games attended from 2021-2023 and there was very little atmosphere in that section that would differentiate it from general seating anyway.

Many students go more for the atmosphere than the game itself so vantage point to the field is not as important to them. Wrapping it around to make one united student section (with the band right in the heart of it) should make the students themselves more engaged and when the game is at the north end our guys should have a much clearer home field advantage than they've had in the past.
Agree. I like this move. I didn’t express it very well — my concern was if the students were only in the north endzone and lost some of their current sideline seats. Not surprisingly this didn’t happen. Glad you like the change.

Agreed, Cignetti will be sure to make their location opportunities to gain an advantage. He's astute beyond my hopes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT