ADVERTISEMENT

Strickland to PU

Good for him. Seemed like a lot of hype building around it and didn’t quite understand all of that. He’s keeping it in his family and his mom will be thrilled.

Reactions: EarlTubbs
As much as i hate losing an in-state kid to PU, best wished to him. He mentioned PU is top ten in his desired majors...is he wanting to study engineering I guess? Ag?

Reactions: 76-1
As much as i hate losing an in-state kid to PU, best wished to him. He mentioned PU is top ten in his desired majors...is he wanting to study engineering I guess? Ag?
Civil engineering like his brother. I’m not quite sure why he dragged it out for so long if that was truly the major he had his heart set on?
Felt a bit like a circus toward the end there regardless of where he ended up. You don’t win every one of these recruiting battles, particularly kids that are focused on the academics more than the football. He’ll keep his mom happy. In the end, that’s a big factor.

Civil engineering like his brother. I’m not quite sure why he dragged it out for so long if that was truly the major he had his heart set on?
Felt a bit like a circus toward the end there regardless of where he ended up. You don’t win every one of these recruiting battles, particularly kids that are focused on the academics more than the football. He’ll keep his mom happy. In the end, that’s a big factor.
I don't think Purdue was a real contender 3 months ago, I'm guessing that was part of it?

He's looking at majoring in business or civil engineering.

“I’d say I chose Purdue because they are top ten in every major I am considering,” Strickland said. “Then, football-wise, I built very strong connections with coach (Domenic) Reno, the strength coach, the past five months. We’ve been talking about every day.

“Coach (Mark) Hagen, he’s the only coach in my final three I have been coached up by in a camp. He’s pretty blunt, and I like that. He hasn’t really changed, and that’s a cool factor for me.

“It’s really, at this point, a no-brainer.”

Well, that makes sense. Had he wanted to major in business...that would not make sense. Both PU and Illinois are among the best CE programs in the country. I am sure hagen helped as well. Like I said, IU isn't going to get every top kid and I wish him well.

I don't think Purdue was a real contender 3 months ago, I'm guessing that was part of it?
Huh?

He’s taken multiple unofficial visits to Purdue and went to games there with family. Purdue was actually on his list early.
IU came in later in the process and made up ground. Good pickup for Purdue.

He is targeted to be Karlaftis replacement after he leaves next season.

Huh?

He’s taken multiple unofficial visits to Purdue and went to games there with family. Purdue was actually on his list early.

Idk on the iu front. Always felt they led. I don't think he goes to Purdue without the Staff overhaul and visits being opened up. Just my opinion though.

Huh?

He stated many times that he was going to leave the state. Brohm/Hagen & Co obviously got him to change his mind.

Idk on the iu front. Always felt they led. I don't think he goes to Purdue without the Staff overhaul and visits being opened up. Just my opinion though.
I didn't think IU had a chance up until he took his official visit last month. Always thought Penn State was the destination school and once things soured thought it was going to be tough to overcome Purdue given his connections to the university.

Anyways, good luck to Joe. Hurts to lose out on a talent like Joe, stings even more that it is to Purdue, but just have to think this was a recruit Purdue couldn't afford to miss out on for variety of reasons. This is a head above water win for them.

Cant get them all..
I'm still pretty impressed with the recruiting..
Hopefully he watches another I hung the bucket the next four year's...

Reactions: ESalum86
He stated many times that he was going to leave the state. Brohm/Hagen & Co obviously got him to change his mind.
Wanna bet? Oh..wait...never mind.

He stated that staying in state allows him to see his Brother play basketball and be near home. Civil Engineering is his interest and PU is good at that. Those things make sense and ultimately outweigh the bad football, crappy student life and shitty stadium.

Cant get them all..
I'm still pretty impressed with the recruiting..
Hopefully he watches another I hung the bucket the next four year's...
After this Bucket game will there be two "I"s hung on the chain...the second for the one IU got screwed out of last season??

😂 What? Strickland was a known PU lean since before his Junior season. To pretend that wasn't the case is being disingenuous. They didn't change his mind, they merely didn't fumble the gimme.
From Rivals:

When the recruiting process started to go national for Indianapolis (Ind.) Brebeuf Jesuit defensive end Joe Strickland, he expected his days of playing football in his home-state were over. Those expectations changed in recent months, however, and Strickland announced his intentions to stay at home and play for Purdue on Thursday over finalists Indiana and Stanford.

“At the end of the day I didn’t think I’d end up in Indiana, but Stanford is like 20 hours away. I would never see my little brother play a basketball game,” Strickland said. “It’s more of a family-thing, me looking at it long term. Purdue is a great school and I’m taking an opportunity where I am an hour away from home. I am still in college and can at least see my brother play a basketball game.”

While the proximity to home played in Purdue’s favor, it was not the only factor – or even the most important one – in his decision.
“I’d say I chose Purdue because they are top ten in every major I am considering,” Strickland said. “Then, football-wise, I built very strong connections with coach (Domenic) Reno, the strength coach, the past five months. We’ve been talking about every day.
“Coach (Mark) Hagen, he’s the only coach in my final three I have been coached up by in a camp. He’s pretty blunt, and I like that. He hasn’t really changed, and that’s a cool factor for me.

Another individual who played a role in Strickland’s decision to pick Purdue was current Boilermaker defensive end George Karlaftis, who hosted the Indianapolis four-star on his official visit last month.

“George’s situation is a little different from everybody just because he is a really elite player,” Strickland said. “His day-to-day is probably not the same as everyone’s, but he just explained how he got to where he is. I’d say he is pretty humble and he’s been texting me a lot – every other day at least. They give him the freedom to do his job because he does it well.”
Strickland is the second in-state four-star to commit to Purdue in the 2022 class, and could be looked upon to fill Karlaftis’ shoes at the defensive end position when he arrives in West Lafayette next year.
“Right when I graduate I am on the bottom of the board, even though I am on the top right now recruiting-wise,” Strickland said. “I’ll come in, put my head down and just grind, just like most in-state elite guys do.”

Reactions: Btfu2017
😂 What? Strickland was a known PU lean since before his Junior season. To pretend that wasn't the case is being disingenuous. They didn't change his mind, they merely didn't fumble the gimme.
Agreed. You could tell playing at Purdue has been a dream all along. But he did get some good offers elsewhere from bigger programs that probably held off on his decision making. But thinking Purdue overcame some huge obstacle in landing Strickland is laughable. I do think IU made a huge impression during his OV but still not enough to change the fortune of playing at a school he grew up rooting for.

Agreed. You could tell playing at Purdue has been a dream all along. But he did get some good offers elsewhere from bigger programs that probably held off on his decision making. But thinking Purdue overcame some huge obstacle in landing Strickland is laughable. I do think IU made a huge impression during his OV but still not enough to change the fortune of playing at a school he grew up rooting for.
This is fair.

He had ten or so offers from bigger programs than PU so he obviously wanted to be there. Best wishes to him and his family.

From Rivals:

When the recruiting process started to go national for Indianapolis (Ind.) Brebeuf Jesuit defensive end Joe Strickland, he expected his days of playing football in his home-state were over. Those expectations changed in recent months, however, and Strickland announced his intentions to stay at home and play for Purdue on Thursday over finalists Indiana and Stanford.

“At the end of the day I didn’t think I’d end up in Indiana, but Stanford is like 20 hours away. I would never see my little brother play a basketball game,” Strickland said. “It’s more of a family-thing, me looking at it long term. Purdue is a great school and I’m taking an opportunity where I am an hour away from home. I am still in college and can at least see my brother play a basketball game.”

While the proximity to home played in Purdue’s favor, it was not the only factor – or even the most important one – in his decision.

Another individual who played a role in Strickland’s decision to pick Purdue was current Boilermaker defensive end George Karlaftis, who hosted the Indianapolis four-star on his official visit last month.

“George’s situation is a little different from everybody just because he is a really elite player,” Strickland said. “His day-to-day is probably not the same as everyone’s, but he just explained how he got to where he is. I’d say he is pretty humble and he’s been texting me a lot – every other day at least. They give him the freedom to do his job because he does it well.”
Strickland is the second in-state four-star to commit to Purdue in the 2022 class, and could be looked upon to fill Karlaftis’ shoes at the defensive end position when he arrives in West Lafayette next year.
“Right when I graduate I am on the bottom of the board, even though I am on the top right now recruiting-wise,” Strickland said. “I’ll come in, put my head down and just grind, just like most in-state elite guys do.”
Interesting to me that he never mentions Brohm, not once.

Reactions: muubell
This is fair.

He had ten or so offers from bigger programs than PU so he obviously wanted to be there. Best wishes to him and his family.
Not sure what happened with Penn State in regards to who soured on who, maybe it was mutual, but with Penn State out of the picture all signs pointed towards Purdue. Strickland is a great get for them, they definitely needed to stop the bleeding.

Reactions: jlasson
I'll try to put lipstick on this pig & just point out that it's a net benefit in the long-term that a top in-state recruit went to one of the B1G in-state schools.

I'm tired of so many top tier kids leaving for out of state programs. Again, LONG TERM, Indiana kids seeing other Indiana kids stay in Indiana is a good thing.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Learning how important academics is to this bright young man, there's no doubt the final decision choice came down to Purdue or Stanford. Purdue won that head to head battle by being closer to home/family, his relationship with the coaches, and seeing how Karlaftis will be a first round draft this year.
Civil Engineering to be specific and he had a couple of choices there. IU could not offer that.

I didn't think IU had a chance up until he took his official visit last month. Always thought Penn State was the destination school and once things soured thought it was going to be tough to overcome Purdue given his connections to the university.

Anyways, good luck to Joe. Hurts to lose out on a talent like Joe, stings even more that it is to Purdue, but just have to think this was a recruit Purdue couldn't afford to miss out on for variety of reasons. This is a head above water win for them.
It's a huge win for them. Would have been bad look to lose him. Being able to host visits has really helped Purdue. Hopefully this rivalry can crank it up a notch!

I'm not saying it's a huge obstacle, but the have changed their entire defensive staff and head of recruiting in the past 6ish months.

It's a huge win for them. Would have been bad look to lose him. Being able to host visits has really helped Purdue. Hopefully this rivalry can crank it up a notch!
Getting recruits on campus usually tips the scales in Purdue’s favor. I’ve been coaching another sport for over 15 years and every young person I’ve coached always talks glowingly about their on campus visits to Purdue.

Getting recruits on campus usually tips the scales in Purdue’s favor. I’ve been coaching another sport for over 15 years and every young person I’ve coached always talks glowingly about their on campus visits to Purdue.
😂 😂 Says the PU fan. You obviously haven't been on campus because the smell is atrocious and the ladies are....well.....lacking.

Hmmmm…I’d have guessed it would be just the opposite. Every time I’ve been there, I’m happy as hell to leave.

I bet it does tip the scales....Joking aside, well not really, not sure what infatuation with Purdue's campus or facilities are, must be why Purdue's recruiting classes have been near the bottom just about every year the last 10 years.

I do enjoy Bruno's however.

Isn't that true for campus visits in general, I feel like that's not just a Purdue thing. Idk just my opinion, that some schools make better impressions over zoom, and some schools do not.

Isn't that true for campus visits in general, I feel like that's not just a Purdue thing. Idk just my opinion, that some schools make better impressions over zoom, and some schools do not.
Has a kid ever really come out and said he/she didn't enjoy his visit? As wowing as Purdue must be to some of these recruits, you'd think Purdue as an athletic program would be much better than they are historically? No?

Reactions: BoilerN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT