ADVERTISEMENT

Strength coaches

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
May be time to give them some props. CTA addressed this after the PU game 2 years ago. It was a great decision. Our injuries have been way down. PU injuries way up. We have been so physical the last 2 weeks on the road in the 2nd half. Very evident watching the games. I loved when Stevie Scott smoked that DB going into the endzone. We beat up Maryland QB and slowed down Leake. We beat up Nebraska QB's. Also kudos to Fred Glass for paying them to keep them. Another reason to go to games to keep the entire staff together.

May be time to give them some props. CTA addressed this after the PU game 2 years ago. It was a great decision. Our injuries have been way down. PU injuries way up. We have been so physical the last 2 weeks on the road in the 2nd half. Very evident watching the games. I loved when Stevie Scott smoked that DB going into the endzone. We beat up Maryland QB and slowed down Leake. We beat up Nebraska QB's. Also kudos to Fred Glass for paying them to keep them. Another reason to go to games to keep the entire staff together.

Just curious.. why do you think the Oline is so much more efficient at pass pro as opposed to getting a push on run plays?

Reactions: vesuvius13
It appears to me that instead of running early for 1 or 2 yards a carry that DeBoer likes to make the defense move side to side and wear the down. This was very evident at MSU. Then in the second half we run the ball more. Try to slow the defense down first then run.

Just curious.. why do you think the Oline is so much more efficient at pass pro as opposed to getting a push on run plays?

It appears to me that instead of running early for 1 or 2 yards a carry that DeBoer likes to make the defense move side to side and wear the down. This was very evident at MSU. Then in the second half we run the ball more. Try to slow the defense down first then run.

That's understood, but on the few early run plays, we aren't really getting a decent push. That's not related to the game plan imo.

Maybe we get a better push up front as the game goes on because we gradually wear down the D line? Maybe not,just a thought.

It's maneuver warfare. We're holding them by the nose and kicking them in the a-- with the sideline to sideline swing passes mixed with intermediate to deep vertical shots... Later in the game when we've run them all over the field and made them tired and frustrated, we punch them in the chops...

I Like it...:D:D:D

I have always thought that when you run plays from the spread formation you are setting up a blocking scheme where your line is trying to position themselves to set up to block and create a lane rather than firing off the ball and driving a man off the line of scrimmage and downfield. If you think about it this makes sense from this perspective.
In the spread the running back is taking the hand off at least 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and reading the blocking scheme to find the hole or the side of the line where we have a numbers advantage. It takes several seconds for the back to even get to the line of scrimmage after the ball is snapped. It would be difficult for your linemen to drive block and maintain the block for 3-5 seconds.
In the old power running formation with the Quarterback under Center, the back is taking the ball while moving forward toward the line of scrimmage and is usually running to a pre-determined hole. Drive blocking makes sense here because your back is getting to the line more quickly, and the OL doesn't have to maintain their blocks as long.

It's maneuver warfare. We're holding them by the nose and kicking them in the a-- with the sideline to sideline swing passes mixed with intermediate to deep vertical shots... Later in the game when we've run them all over the field and made them tired and frustrated, we punch them in the chops...

I Like it...:D:D:D
So,I was sorta right lol

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
The style of blocking requires OL to get on blocks and keep contact not drive the DL. In this style the RB has to time up the run not run a fast as he can. The idea on base runs is the defense has to commit to a gap and the RB reads this cutting to the open gap; this is based on the concept that defenses can't cover every gap. Because defenses started filling the extra gap with a safety the RPO was created to punish that choice.
This style of blocking makes it hard to drive block as it is far different than the usual gap or zone blocking.

Football has always been an evolution reacting to ideas from one side or the other.

Last edited:
I believe there is greater respect for Stevie Scott's legs than Peyton Ramsey's arm. Opposing DCs have decided to stop Indiana's run game as a 1st priority and have stacked the box. Deboer takes what the defense gives. Later in the game, after Indiana has been successful with the pass game, the run D softens a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT