ADVERTISEMENT

Strength coaches amaze

The S&C coaches have shown they are changing the players in big way with the numbers that measure the changes. Only 3 players ran 20 mph when they got here and now 38 run 20 mph or faster with 3 at 23 mph.

Reactions: 76-1
All of this data and analysis is intriguing and optimistic....but we need to keep in mind other variables not measured like “awareness” and “instinct.”
Some of the best players to ever play the game were not always the fastest or strongest but they had a God-given ability to have a great “feel” for the game of football. I don’t know how much you can develop that (I suppose some) but teams that have those kids always excel.
I’ve seen guys that had “track speed” that would work well in a 100 meter dash but they couldn’t run routes, couldn’t catch the ball, had no instinct in open spaces, etc.

There is a common line that you hear when analysts say “he has great football speed” because there are guys that may not get from point A to point B in 4.3 seconds but they have other factors that allow them within the game of football to be elusive or to break away from people.

All of that said, I think the work they are doing with the S&C staff is cutting edge and hopefully becomes a factor in closing out games. It certainly can’t hurt.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
All of this data and analysis is intriguing and optimistic....but we need to keep in mind other variables not measured like “awareness” and “instinct.”
Some of the best players to ever play the game were not always the fastest or strongest but they had a God-given ability to have a great “feel” for the game of football. I don’t know how much you can develop that (I suppose some) but teams that have those kids always excel.
I’ve seen guys that had “track speed” that would work well in a 100 meter dash but they couldn’t run routes, couldn’t catch the ball, had no instinct in open spaces, etc.

There is a common line that you hear when analysts say “he has great football speed” because there are guys that may not get from point A to point B in 4.3 seconds but they have other factors that allow them within the game of football to be elusive or to break away from people.

All of that said, I think the work they are doing with the S&C staff is cutting edge and hopefully becomes a factor in closing out games. It certainly can’t hurt.
Gotta wonder if they make that big of a difference if IU will be able to retain their services moving forward as far as $$$$. Hope the admin is ready to pony up if IU football starts gaining success?

Reactions: vesuvius13
It'll be interesting to see what the BTN crew notices when they stop by practice on their tour. I'd think the difference should be obvious.

Gotta wonder if they make that big of a difference if IU will be able to retain their services moving forward as far as $$$$. Hope the admin is ready to pony up if IU football starts gaining success?

Ballou is a former IU player and I believe has stated that this is his dream job. So as long as we match $$$ I think we keep him.

Ballou is a former IU player and I believe has stated that this is his dream job. So as long as we match $$$ I think we keep him.
Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to think that once you get to a certain reasonable point (for some value of reasonable), money becomes less of a factor. Otherwise we're just dealing with mercenaries.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to think that once you get to a certain reasonable point (for some value of reasonable), money becomes less of a factor. Otherwise we're just dealing with mercenaries.

You're old fashioned.;)

The reality is that most will chase the biggest money due to two motives: what they see as best for their family long term and simple competitive pride (as in being on or near the top in terms of remuneration).

It sounds to me like our S&C staff has broken down the human anatomy and studied every single component in terms of strength and speed. And now, they are using those minuscule details to build world-class athletes.
It reminds me of the Doc Counselman story -- how he broke down the swimmer's stroke and found small ways to make big improvements.
It seemed to have worked well for Doc ...

I wish we'd just show up to game 1 being fast and strong instead of feeling the need to tell everyone how fast and strong we are.
They are promoting the team, like every other AD. The coaches aren’t holding PCs. It’s just stuff to talk about. What do you propose we discuss?

They are promoting the team, like every other AD. The coaches aren’t holding PCs. It’s just stuff to talk about. What do you propose we discuss?
I propose we discuss whether or not our WRs can successfully score on an 80-yard TD play if they are missing the left aglet on their right shoelace. And I propose that this be a looooooooooong and highly detailed discussion.

I propose we discuss whether or not our WRs can successfully score on an 80-yard TD play if they are missing the left aglet on their right shoelace. And I propose that this be a looooooooooong and highly detailed discussion.

Welll..., now that you mention it I just read a detailed study contrasting players of equal speed and skill when one player has two properly laced shoes versus one who only has one properly laced shoe (headwind, field temperature and humidity being equal).

Using the equation: Vmax/Adidas -1 x BS squared = Cmplt Ultra BS Squared... The man with the properly laced shoe beats the one missing the left aglet 99.999% of the time given optimum game time conditions... ;)

Anything else you want to discuss :D;)

-All of the above is complete fiction and a very weak attempt at humor...-

Last edited:

Cole Gest video talking about his gains

Looking forward to watching him this fall.

If we can get some sustained blocking up front and downfield for this guy he'll give us a real shot at scoring from anywhere on the field.

It all starts up front. If the Offensive Line is healthy and better as a unit this fall then the whole offense should look better...

Welll..., now that you mention it I just read a detailed study contrasting players of equal speed and skill when one player has two properly laced shoes versus one who only has one properly laced shoe (headwind, field temperature and humidity being equal).

Using the equation: Vmax/Adidas -1 x BS squared = Cmplt Ultra BS Squared... The man with the properly laced shoe beats the one missing the left aglet 99.999% of the time given optimum game time conditions... ;)

Anything else you want to discuss :D;)

-All of the above is complete fiction and a very weak attempt at humor...-
It's not any weaker than mine -- and it made me smile.
Tell me, is the formula the same for Under Armor, just Vmax/Under Armor -1 ... ? And, of course, these days any formula with Nike equals zero -- right?

Gest is now an upper class man ... I expect big things from him ... if he does, why should we not.

Best combo in the B1G next year ... Ellison and Gest. The threat of a running QB is gonna make them harder to scheme. Gonna be fun times come this Fall!!

Gest is now an upper class man ... I expect big things from him ... if he does, why should we not.

Best combo in the B1G next year ... Ellison and Gest. The threat of a running QB is gonna make them harder to scheme. Gonna be fun times come this Fall!!

And when the S's move up in the box, over the top we go... I Like it!!!

I'm hoping Gest has a BIG year..kid has serious speed and he looks physically ready to kick a$$.
Gest does look good and has really improved his good speed into great speed now. I hope the strength gains help him avoid injuries he has been plagued with.

Reactions: echs86 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT