ADVERTISEMENT

Strategy positions

Jssanto

All-Big Ten
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
I have said this before, I never played nor coached. Just a diehard fan.
It seems many teams play 3 guards and 2 bigs. Do they not play the “traditional” C, PF, SF, shooting guard, point guard because the game has changed? 3 point shot now?
Or are there just more guards available than bigs?
This seems even more predominant in the ladies game.

I have said this before, I never played nor coached. Just a diehard fan.
It seems many teams play 3 guards and 2 bigs. Do they not play the “traditional” C, PF, SF, shooting guard, point guard because the game has changed? 3 point shot now?
Or are there just more guards available than bigs?
This seems even more predominant in the ladies game.
Key to game now is spacing. Spread the floor, penetrate and either kick for the open 3 or drop for the open dunk.

Another aspect of this is that you see fewer and fewer players coming out of high school who have the skill set or background to be a traditional back to the basket low post player. Fewer teams run that type of offense.

To me, it is something like we see in football. Everyone wants to run some variation of the spread because people have had success with it. Now that many teams are recruiting lighter faster linebackers to defend the spread, somebody is going to go back to the two back I Formation Offense that pounds the ball, especially if the 49ers win the Super Bowl running the ball like they did Sunday.

Eventually, some Coach will look at the rosters he plays against and see no players are taller than 6'9"" and everyone weighs less than 230. He will find two 7'0" 270 pounders he can put on the floor at the same time with a good point guard and a good passing off guard, and run a double low post Offense forcing the lighter players to defend the bigger heavier players and either wear them down or get them into foul trouble.

Another aspect of this is that you see fewer and fewer players coming out of high school who have the skill set or background to be a traditional back to the basket low post player. Fewer teams run that type of offense.

To me, it is something like we see in football. Everyone wants to run some variation of the spread because people have had success with it. Now that many teams are recruiting lighter faster linebackers to defend the spread, somebody is going to go back to the two back I Formation Offense that pounds the ball, especially if the 49ers win the Super Bowl running the ball like they did Sunday.

Eventually, some Coach will look at the rosters he plays against and see no players are taller than 6'9"" and everyone weighs less than 230. He will find two 7'0" 270 pounders he can put on the floor at the same time with a good point guard and a good passing off guard, and run a double low post Offense forcing the lighter players to defend the bigger heavier players and either wear them down or get them into foul trouble.
lol ... yea sure ..

ADVERTISEMENT