ADVERTISEMENT

Strange sequence of events

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
The day after my mom's funeral, my daughter learned her boyfriend was getting her a puppy for Christmas. They would drive to Indy to meet the breeder. My wife and daughter were slightly annoyed as they were expecting an engagement ring.

The next day, her boyfriend called to ask if we could meet for lunch. Over a beer and a stromboli, he asked for my daughter's hand and explained how the puppy figured into the plan. They all met at Holcomb Garden where the breeder was waiting and took video and pictures of the proposal.

My wife and I had a time of sorrow turn to a time of great joy with a new puppy and a terrific young man that will be joining the family. He pulled off the perfect proposal and picked out the most perfect person to spend his life with. Our new grandpuppy is pretty awesome as well. Mom would approve of everything that happened in the past 2 weeks.

The day after my mom's funeral, my daughter learned her boyfriend was getting her a puppy for Christmas. They would drive to Indy to meet the breeder. My wife and daughter were slightly annoyed as they were expecting an engagement ring.

The next day, her boyfriend called to ask if we could meet for lunch. Over a beer and a stromboli, he asked for my daughter's hand and explained how the puppy figured into the plan. They all met at Holcomb Garden where the breeder was waiting and took video and pictures of the proposal.

My wife and I had a time of sorrow turn to a time of great joy with a new puppy and a terrific young man that will be joining the family. He pulled off the perfect proposal and picked out the most perfect person to spend his life with. Our new grandpuppy is pretty awesome as well. Mom would approve of everything that happened in the past 2 weeks.
Stromboli and beer - very good news indeed!

Going to a breeder is immoral and shameful. He should have adopted a shelter puppy.

Going to a breeder is immoral and shameful. He should have adopted a shelter puppy.
While I don't disagree with getting a shelter dog (our last 2 dogs have been rescues)...to bang on someone for NOT getting one bugs me. When you go to shelters, roughly 90+% of the dogs there are mixes (Mutts) of some sort...which normally means they were "mistakes" to begin with. It's rare that someone that takes the time to research and go to a GOOD breeder ever leaves their dog at a shelter. These people are (usually) making an informed decision and in this case are getting a dog that....doesn't shed.

The people the piss me off are the ones that have their dogs running around with their nuts still showing or the girls haven't been spayed. I wish more people would take your stance with those azz wipes and go bang on them....they're the root of this problem with animal over population.

Now, where's the two piece pic?!?

Reactions: Pryght
While I don't disagree with getting a shelter dog (our last 2 dogs have been rescues)...to bang on someone for NOT getting one bugs me. When you go to shelters, roughly 90+% of the dogs there are mixes (Mutts) of some sort...which normally means they were "mistakes" to begin with. It's rare that someone that takes the time to research and go to a GOOD breeder ever leaves their dog at a shelter. These people are (usually) making an informed decision and in this case are getting a dog that....doesn't shed.

The people the piss me off are the ones that have their dogs running around with their nuts still showing or the girls haven't been spayed. I wish more people would take your stance with those azz wipes and go bang on them....they're the root of this problem with animal over population.

Mutts are healthier and smarter and friendlier than purebreds. There's no reason to go to a breeder - even a good one - when there are so many shelter dogs in need of a home.

Reactions: jet812 and cryano
Mutts are healthier and smarter and friendlier than purebreds. There's no reason to go to a breeder - even a good one - when there are so many shelter dogs in need of a home.
And come spayed/neutered for around $70...
At the end of the day, a dog is a pet dog...except for pit bulls, which are pure bred damage of mass destruction attack dogs.

My condolences regarding your mother, iubud. It is never easy even when you anticipate it. Congratulations on becoming a father-in-law.

Reactions: largemouth

I always heard that a lot “pure breds” dogs are basically inbred at this point with various potential problems that go along with that.

I always heard that a lot “pure breds” dogs are basically inbred at this point with various potential problems that go along with that.
They have huge problems. All of them have immune problems. Small snouts can't breathe. Many of them have bad bones, especially in the hips. A lot of them are bred for different climates, so they are miserable their entire lives. Too much fur for warm weather, that kind of thing. It's a sick industry.

They have huge problems. All of them have immune problems. Small snouts can't breathe. Many of them have bad bones, especially in the hips. A lot of them are bred for different climates, so they are miserable their entire lives. Too much fur for warm weather, that kind of thing. It's a sick industry.
Thats why I prefer horse racing...

jk

Too much to read all this. But did I understand your daughter is wanting to meet a breeder? Why didn't you just say so? First!

JK, wanted to put a little AOTF spin on this. Congrats, my day is coming!

We're on our third purebred Airedale. Bought the first because of a bunch of traits; good with kids, smart, low shedding,...
No hip, bones or skin issues.
I grew up with mutts and I wouldn't trade any of our Airedales for all the dogs we had when I was a kid.

For most people and families, I completely agree with you, go to a shelter. However if a family, with very small children, wants a large breed dog, I think it may be a little safer going through a responsible breeder (much different from the HIGHLY IRRESPONSIBLE "breeder" the original poster's son-in-law used). The family does not know the shelter dog's history, specifically whether or not it has been properly socialized. Given the presence of small children, I would feel much more comfortable if I purchased a puppy from a reputable breeder that has a long history of producing dogs with good temperaments (and I played a large role in socializing the dog). Most reputable breeders of working dogs breed for both intelligence and temperament, creating products that are stable and predictable. For example: http://www.kulladogs.com/puppies.html.

As for your comment regarding canine intelligence, I agree that the average mutt would probably be smarter than the average purebred dog (of course it depends on the mutt's pedigree). Though there is only anecdotal evidence on both sides, I would guess that those with the highest canine intelligence are more likely going to be purebred.

Last edited:
And come spayed/neutered for around $70...
At the end of the day, a dog is a pet dog...except for pit bulls, which are pure bred damage of mass destruction attack dogs.
Horseshit!! Nothing but a hater.

Do a little research on the facts before you voice your opinion.

Last edited:
I've had mixed breeds and pure bred dogs. All have been equally great dogs. I specifically wanted a Siberian Husky 13+ years ago. I grew up with Huskies. Our first came from a family living near the Governor's mansion in Indy. They are an energetic breed that requires room to run. Mine lives 100% of the time outdoors and hates being brought into the garage or the house when it is bitterly cold. She stands at the door and whines until we let her out. Some can't handle that much energy and sometimes mischief. I prefer that to a dog that lays around all day. So a Husky or part Husky is perfect for me.

The first dog my wife and I got was a shelter dog. It was part Husky so I was happy. My wife gets to pick our next dog. It will not be a Husky. She wants a small indoor dog. After seeing my daughter's puppy, it will likely be a Golden Doodle unless a Pomsky shows up at a shelter. Unlikely someone will surrender an expensive dog, but I will keep looking.

IMO, all dogs are "indoor dogs." Dogs are pack animals, and like it or not, we are their pack.

I've had mixed breeds and pure bred dogs. All have been equally great dogs. I specifically wanted a Siberian Husky 13+ years ago. I grew up with Huskies. Our first came from a family living near the Governor's mansion in Indy. They are an energetic breed that requires room to run. Mine lives 100% of the time outdoors and hates being brought into the garage or the house when it is bitterly cold. She stands at the door and whines until we let her out. Some can't handle that much energy and sometimes mischief. I prefer that to a dog that lays around all day. So a Husky or part Husky is perfect for me.

The first dog my wife and I got was a shelter dog. It was part Husky so I was happy. My wife gets to pick our next dog. It will not be a Husky. She wants a small indoor dog. After seeing my daughter's puppy, it will likely be a Golden Doodle unless a Pomsky shows up at a shelter. Unlikely someone will surrender an expensive dog, but I will keep looking.

Goofy. Not all breeders are insensitive, greedy monsters. Our miniature poodle came from a solid breeder out of Thorntown. We inspected the facility and wouldn't have done business with them if they weren't reputable.

That aside, not everyone is willing to settle for a mutt or a 18 year old daschund with three legs.

McHoop

IMO, all dogs are "indoor dogs." Dogs are pack animals, and like it or not, we are their pack.
My dog was bred to survive in -30 degree temperatures. She pants and is nervous anytime I bring her into the house or the garage. She immediately whines and scratches at the door to go outside. She will curl up in a ball and sleep on top of the snow rather than go sleep in her warm house. Often during a melt, she finds an area that has snow and chooses to sit there instead of a warm dry area. At 10 degrees last night, my 13+ year old dog was running and jumping around me like a puppy while I was trying to catch her for our walk. She loves this weather and always has. She will dig a nice hole in the shade and sleep on hot summer days like dogs and her cousins the wolf and fox have done for thousands of years. She has the neighborhood dogs we visit on our walks and the neighbor's dog and us for her pack

Some breeds should live indoors. My Husky doesn't need to or want to.

My dog was bred to survive in -30 degree temperatures. She pants and is nervous anytime I bring her into the house or the garage. She immediately whines and scratches at the door to go outside. She will curl up in a ball and sleep on top of the snow rather than go sleep in her warm house. Often during a melt, she finds an area that has snow and chooses to sit there instead of a warm dry area. At 10 degrees last night, my 13+ year old dog was running and jumping around me like a puppy while I was trying to catch her for our walk. She loves this weather and always has. She will dig a nice hole in the shade and sleep on hot summer days like dogs and her cousins the wolf and fox have done for thousands of years. She has the neighborhood dogs we visit on our walks and the neighbor's dog and us for her pack

Does she also walk the course when playing golf, pee on the leg of anyone who improperly rakes a bunker and use a pushmower to cut your grass? Has she ever written a book on golf per chance? I'm starting to connect some dots!

Does she also walk the course when playing golf, pee on the leg of anyone who improperly rakes a bunker and use a pushmower to cut your grass? Has she ever written a book on golf per chance? I'm starting to connect some dots!
No, I am not McNutt and neither is she. If I over explain stuff on here, it is because there are a few that like to make up shit or fill in gaps that aren't accurate. I finally got tired of those assholes and you all have to pay the price!

It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be...

Dogs are pack animals who have psychological needs.

At 10 degrees last night, my 13+ year old dog was running and jumping around me like a puppy while I was trying to catch her for our walk.

Last edited:
It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be... You focus too much on your dog's biological needs without considering her psychological needs.

At the very least, I would hope you would apply your rationalization to your husky during the summer time, bringing her indoors when it's hot and humid to enjoy the pleasures of air conditioning?

No, because she is anxious inside the house, right? Your dog's anxiety is due to her being conditioned to live outside, just as I imagine that through your childhood huskies, you were conditioned to believe that huskies are outdoor dogs.

Outdoor dogs, who spend 23+ hours a day alone, are not very different from the sad existences of shelter dogs. Of course you won't accept this, as I'm sure that you consider yourself to be a good dog owner.

The highlight of your dog's day is going for a walk...dwell on that for a bit and do better next time.
My wife and I both work from home. We both play with the dog all day long. When I leave my office for a break, I go outside to see her. In the winter, I take her on walks during lunch before it gets dark. She usually naps after that on our pool cover. She loves riding in the back of my SUV and I take her with me whenever it is an errand that she won't be left in the car for more than a minute.

I suggest you stop commenting since you know nothing about me, my dog, or our family. A dog that will soon turn 14 that is playful, runs effortlessly, is active and at her ideal weight is doing very well. She handles hot weather just fine as gets brushed to remove her undercoat. I used to put fans outside for her, but found she didn't like them. She moved to a new spot to avoid them. She digs a nice cool hole under a tree and loves it. Living in an apartment or a place with a tiny yard would require a different choice for a dog. Luckily, I don't have to live that way and spend a lot of time outdoors with my friend.

Feel free to rescue wolves, foxes, and coyotes if you want. I doubt they would be happy inside your house, but you never know.

Last edited:

Good for you and fam!

ADVERTISEMENT