ADVERTISEMENT

Stop Hey What's That Sound?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Was basically the working title of For What It's Worth until Stills made an offhand comment mentioning it to Ahmet Ertegun, before playing it for him and blowing him away...

That's just one of the many fascinating facts I learned after watching this extremely interesting day-old video, from a guy whose channel I had never heard of called the Professor of Rock. I must say I'm jealous that some punk kid gets to not only personally interview both Richie and Steven, but check out what he gets to sit on while talking to Steven...

It just seems so damn unfair- here is some kid that wasn't even born yet when FWIW was recorded, getting to interview one of my earliest musical heroes (Stills), as well as talk to one of the founders of a band I provided a great deal of financial support to over the years (I think I bought at least 11 Poco albums).I also helped to finance all of CSNY together, as solos, duets and a trio as I've seen them all multiple times and bought most of their albums. On Poco, I only managed to see them once live, outside of St Louis of all freaking places.

That was also the summer of my extended Senior year at IU where as part of a Poly Sci class on police/community relations a bunch of us spent the entire summer living in St Louis and riding around with cops thruout the metro area observing and doing daily reports on what we saw each shift.

There were 4 of us who drove to Colorado one 3 day weekend we had off, and I was able to complete a pilgrimage to a destination I had dreamed of visiting ever since I heard the first Manassas album as a junior in high school. One night of shivering in what felt like sub-freezing temps on a late June night in the Rockies cured me of my romanticized desire to live in the Mountains. In much the same way that my 3-day visit to Bonnaroo in 2009 cured me of any future notions of roughing it or even sleeping in a tent...

At any rate, I thought this was really good and I'll likely explore his channel further...Thought some might enjoy...

Btw, FWIW is probably not among my favorite Stills' songs, not even the best protest song he wrote as a member of Springfield...I actually enjoy Four Days Gone more...A live version from a '74 Chicago show when he was between Manassas and various CSN&Y reunions...I just wish he could still sing like this...

Last edited:
Was basically the working title of For What It's Worth until Stills made an offhand comment mentioning it to Ahmet Ertegun, before playing it for him and blowing him away...

That's just one of the many fascinating facts I learned after watching this extremely interesting day-old video, from a guy whose channel I had never heard of called the Professor of Rock. I must say I'm jealous that some punk kid gets to not only personally interview both Richie and Steven, but check out what he gets to sit on while talking to Steven...

It just seems so damn unfair- here is some kid that wasn't even born yet when FWIW was recorded, getting to interview one of my earliest musical heroes (Stills), as well as talk to one of the founders of a band I provided a great deal of financial support to over the years (I think I bought at least 11 Poco albums).I also helped to finance all of CSNY together, as solos, duets and a trio as I've seen them all multiple times and bought most of their albums. On Poco, I only managed to see them once live, outside of St Louis of all freaking places.

That was also the summer of my extended Senior year at IU where as part of a Poly Sci class on police/community relations a bunch of us spent the entire summer living in St Louis and riding around with cops thruout the metro area observing and doing daily reports on what we saw each shift.

There were 4 of us who drove to Colorado one 3 day weekend we had off, and I was able to complete a pilgrimage to a destination I had dreamed of visiting ever since I heard the first Manassas album as a junior in high school. One night of shivering in what felt like sub-freezing temps on a late June night in the Rockies cured me of my romanticized desire to live in the Mountains. In much the same way that my 3-day visit to Bonnaroo in 2009 cured me of any future notions of roughing it or even sleeping in a tent...

At any rate, I thought this was really good and I'll likely explore his channel further...Thought some might enjoy...

Btw, FWIW is probably not among my favorite Stills' songs, not even the best protest song he wrote as a member of Springfield...I actually enjoy Four Days Gone more...A live version from a '74 Chicago show when he was between Manassas and various CSN&Y reunions...I just wish he could still sing like this...

Hopefully, this doesn't seem excessive, but after all, it is the 50th anniversary of Deja Vu. And 4 Way Street was the album that basically chronicled live performances of the Deja Vu tour...

Of course, I was still a couple of years away from attending my first actual live R&R show, but I think 4 Way Street was actually the first live album I ever listened to. And while in retrospect it has some minor flaws, it was actually pretty representative of 4 superstars who formed a supergroup and toured while each night performing a mix of their own individual songs and the music they made together. I thought it was awesome as a junior high kid, and it's still just as relevant so many years later...

This performance is Stills combining parts of FWIW with a song he wrote for the CSN album- 49 Bye Byes into what was at the time a rousing anti-Vietnam, anti-Nixon,anti-hate protest anthem. Some of the words are a bit dated now, but I guarantee you it got my 15 yr old soul stirred up at the time. I think Neil's intro of Stephen where he says...

"Right now, thank you, right now I’d like to bring on a friend of mine; he’s been a good friend of mine for probably longer than I’d known anybody that I can think of.
He’s been a good friend over the years, we’ve had our ups and downs but we’re still playing together: Stephen Stills." followed by a member of the crowd yelling "Go get 'em, Stephen"...

is still indelibly stamped in my memory after all these years...

Btw combining bits of one or more songs is a technique Stephen has used at various points in his songwriting career. Springsteen has done that repeatedly as well, and they're both in the songwriting Hall of Fame...

Probably the Stills example that leaps out at me the most is combining some of the lyrics from Springfield's awesome "Questions" (which Neil did not play on-see album cover)

into what eventually became CSN&Y's classic "Carry On"...Which is of course from Deja Vu...:)

ADVERTISEMENT