ADVERTISEMENT

Still puzzled by Penix today.

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
I hope Penix’s injury is not too bad, and that he can play next week. That said, I am really puzzled by how poor his play was today. You just don’t see top flight QBs have that bad of a game. If he was injured or sick, then CTA should have played Tuttle all along. Very strange.

Reactions: vesuvius13
No offense, but even Tom Brady can occasionally have a bad game. (Didn't Saints smoke them by 30+ on a Monday Night Game a few weeks ago?) I don't think he was cocky b/c of his OSU kudos, I think he was literally just having an off game prior to his injury today. Let's hope it's not bad and that if he is out next week that Tuttle can make the most of his opportunity to show everyone that his Elite 11 ranking was not smoke & mirrors and that he too has a great arm and real talent. (I think he does)

No offense, but even Tom Brady can occasionally have a bad game. (Didn't Saints smoke them by 30+ on a Monday Night Game a few weeks ago?) I don't think he was cocky b/c of his OSU kudos, I think he was literally just having an off game prior to his injury today. Let's hope it's not bad and that if he is out next week that Tuttle can make the most of his opportunity to show everyone that his Elite 11 ranking was not smoke & mirrors and that he too has a great arm and real talent. (I think he does)
Feel awful for Micheal, but I would count on Tuttle being our QB moving forward.

My uninformed speculation is that he was already hurt. Maybe his back... He wasn't stepping up into the pocket, or stepping into his throws. While he does that sometimes, it's not usually over and over. He also wasn't pulling the ball down on the read option, and the unblocked end was stuffing the play.

As a result, we went wildcat and enticed them to take a guy out of the box. It was funny, one time no one went with Penix in motion, so he was open out there, and Scott literally pointed at Penix until a Maryland backer ran out there to cover him. Then we ran, and got a chunk. After that, I figured they'd have to stop covering Penix, since it was obvious we weren't going to throw it to Penix.

Remember against PSU we ran several designed QB draws? We aren't doing any of that anymore, and it's probably because they know he's nicked up. With a balky back, it can come and go--and you can look fine one minute and not the next.

Sam Story just said on Twitter that he looks Forward to watching Penix play in 2021. So it seems he got some intel that Penix is done.

Based on who we played in the first 5 weeks in a row, I think hat he was a little "cumulative" football aches & pains along with maybe something a little worse. I did not see the ankle turn, but the foot drag funny and pop his Achilles area. But I am no Dr. but he did not walk like it just needed icing.

My uninformed speculation is that he was already hurt. Maybe his back... He wasn't stepping up into the pocket, or stepping into his throws. While he does that sometimes, it's not usually over and over. He also wasn't pulling the ball down on the read option, and the unblocked end was stuffing the play.

As a result, we went wildcat and enticed them to take a guy out of the box. It was funny, one time no one went with Penix in motion, so he was open out there, and Scott literally pointed at Penix until a Maryland backer ran out there to cover him. Then we ran, and got a chunk. After that, I figured they'd have to stop covering Penix, since it was obvious we weren't going to throw it to Penix.

Remember against PSU we ran several designed QB draws? We aren't doing any of that anymore, and it's probably because they know he's nicked up. With a balky back, it can come and go--and you can look fine one minute and not the next.
I am not sure I have been watching the same games as you. First Penix has not pulled the ball on the read option at all this year much to my dismay. You are correct the backside defenders have been ruining down the plays for sure. Next we did call quarterback runs against PSU those runs were all scrambles including the the game winning 2 point conversion. Lastly why would a defense pull a guy out of the box with a running back in the backfield!? They would add a guy with there being more of chance to run than to throw. You don’t subtract guys from the box on expected runs you add guys. Anyway I have no explanation for his misfires he did seem to get a little more pressure early on the game. But it got better but he did not. I hope the injury is not serious it just baffles me how a guy that athletic can be so prone to injuries or at least so unlucky.

More of a play calling question here. When DeBoer left, did he take out the page from the Playbook that had "Receiver Screen to the flat"? Seems odd that a play that was so effective in 2019 between Penix and Whop has rarely been used this year. Personnel hasn't changed much. The way MD had 5-6 guys upfront getting pressure, seems this would have been a good, quick out of MP's hand counter to that, yet don't think it was used at all. What am I missing here? Sheridan just not a fan of it? Hard to believe as it worked great last year for MP.

Any injury announcements from IU?
From CTA's comments, I don't think we'll hear anything until tomorrow at best.

I think it's another ACL. He's clearly really hurt with his reaction to a basically non-contact injury (although the MD guy got on him a little awkward as he was going out of bounds). Then he was laid out & had his knees up, so I don't think seems like a reaction to an achilles.

I think it's another ACL. He's clearly really hurt with his reaction to a basically non-contact injury (although the MD guy got on him a little awkward as he was going out of bounds). Then he was laid out & had his knees up, so I don't think seems like a reaction to an achilles.

Let’s hope it’s a sprain.

Watching him limp off the field looked like he was favoring the ankle, which was already wrapped.

One thing that was noticeable to me was that Penix slowed himself down as he approached the sideline and didn't anticipate the Maryland Defender being close enough to make contact. It appeared to me that the Defender caught him with his legs in a very unbalanced position and that the injury occurred when Penix took another step to try to keep his balance and stay upright, not on the initial contact. It appeared that his foot or ankle twisted as he took the additional steps to maintain his footing, From the way he moved after getting up and reacted, I thought it was a foot or ankle problem. Given his history, if they suspected an ACL, I think they would have kept him down and called for the transport Cart rather than allow him to limp all the way across field and then to the Locker Room.

One thing that was noticeable to me was that Penix slowed himself down as he approached the sideline and didn't anticipate the Maryland Defender being close enough to make contact. It appeared to me that the Defender caught him with his legs in a very unbalanced position and that the injury occurred when Penix took another step to try to keep his balance and stay upright, not on the initial contact. It appeared that his foot or ankle twisted as he took the additional steps to maintain his footing, From the way he moved after getting up and reacted, I thought it was a foot or ankle problem. Given his history, if they suspected an ACL, I think they would have kept him down and called for the transport Cart rather than allow him to limp all the way across field and then to the Locker Room.
Nor would they let him with an achilles.

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
More of a play calling question here. When DeBoer left, did he take out the page from the Playbook that had "Receiver Screen to the flat"? Seems odd that a play that was so effective in 2019 between Penix and Whop has rarely been used this year. Personnel hasn't changed much. The way MD had 5-6 guys upfront getting pressure, seems this would have been a good, quick out of MP's hand counter to that, yet don't think it was used at all. What am I missing here? Sheridan just not a fan of it? Hard to believe as it worked great last year for MP.
We slowly seem to be losing the Deboer playbook that was so successful. Our receiver screens were lethal last year as was the tight end delay screen, and hitting the backs out of the backfield. We have seen less of all of them as the season has gone on. A lot more downfield stuff. Various things in the offense seem to be slowly breaking. Parts of the offense just mysteriously break this year. In the beginning of the season we had dropped balls everywhere. Yesterday Penix suddenly can't throw the ball. It's bizarre. It was encouraging to see some success in the running game yesterday, but Maryland is absolutely horrendous against the run, so I am not sure how much we can take from that. We are definitely not the well oiled machine we were last year, nor are we terrible. Everything has just gotten harder on offense.

I hope Penix’s injury is not too bad, and that he can play next week. That said, I am really puzzled by how poor his play was today. You just don’t see top flight QBs have that bad of a game. If he was injured or sick, then CTA should have played Tuttle all along. Very strange.
Penix has some flaws in his fundamentals, particularly that he doesn't stride into the throw and throws off the back foot often, which causes the ball to sail, and he has that low release point throwing the ball off his shoulder like a shot put which causes passes to be blocked and more of a tendency to "aim" the ball rather than throw it, causing inaccurate throws. It's like the Baseball Pitcher with bad fundamentals who has days where he can't get a consistent release point and throw strikes.

Give Maryland credit, whatever they were doing on Defense totally disrupted our passing game. Penix may have anticipated a continuation of the OSU game with the same patterns and plays open, and a 600 yard passing game in the works.

I am not sure I have been watching the same games as you. First Penix has not pulled the ball on the read option at all this year much to my dismay. You are correct the backside defenders have been ruining down the plays for sure. Next we did call quarterback runs against PSU those runs were all scrambles including the the game winning 2 point conversion. Lastly why would a defense pull a guy out of the box with a running back in the backfield!? They would add a guy with there being more of chance to run than to throw. You don’t subtract guys from the box on expected runs you add guys. Anyway I have no explanation for his misfires he did seem to get a little more pressure early on the game. But it got better but he did not. I hope the injury is not serious it just baffles me how a guy that athletic can be so prone to injuries or at least so unlucky.

I recall a couple designed QB draws. One either went for a TD or 2PC against PSU.

I agree MD shouldn't have been taking people out of the box. But they were, which is why those plays were working. MD probably did that because they had no film on it, and thus had no idea whether the back could throw or not.

I like what Penix brings, but man...if the guy is out to another season ending injury, at what point do you just look for his permanent replacement? Heck of a player when he is not injured but he seems to be one of those unlucky guys who can just not stay healthy. That is hard to build around IMO.

I like what Penix brings, but man...if the guy is out to another season ending injury, at what point do you just look for his permanent replacement? Heck of a player when he is not injured but he seems to be one of those unlucky guys who can just not stay healthy. That is hard to build around IMO.
We've gotten 5.5 games out of him this year. Many QB's on many teams have injuries hit. Tua was lost for season at AL. It happens. Why not take whatever we get and enjoy it while we can. Meanwhile, Tuttle could surprise us and we have Lawrence QB coming in at 6'5 who could be a future beast too. And maybe we get Jackson-Davis the next year from Center Grove, also 6'5 beast. IU is hopefully entering a new Golden Era of having depth and higher grade talent. Hence, we can utilize the best we have and also be able to truly live out "next man up" simultaneously.

Tuttle strengths we have seen are a strong arm, quick release, mobility. I also heard he was looking very good last December in practice prior to the Tennessee game. Granted we have mostly seen him in limited situations. He also looked very good in his high school videos FWIW. Anxious to see more next game.

Penix is the real deal, I love him and I hope he's not too badly injured, but if he is, certainly welcome him back with open arms next season if he's got a bad injury now.

But I would just NOT be surprised if Tuttle makes the most of any true starting opportunity ahead as I don't think he's hype, smoke & mirrors, but rather has taken a bit of a "bumpy road" to get himself into a position to play, landing at two places with strong QB's ahead of him. But he "may" actually have better pure mechanics than Penix and a similarly strong arm. I don't know he has the running ability of Ramsey even, but would not be surprised if he has a superior arm and the potential to keep the Air Raid IU passing game rollling.

Penix is the real deal, I love him and I hope he's not too badly injured, but if he is, certainly welcome him back with open arms next season if he's got a bad injury now.

But I would just NOT be surprised if Tuttle makes the most of any true starting opportunity ahead as I don't think he's hype, smoke & mirrors, but rather has taken a bit of a "bumpy road" to get himself into a position to play, landing at two places with strong QB's ahead of him. But he "may" actually have better pure mechanics than Penix and a similarly strong arm. I don't know he has the running ability of Ramsey even, but would not be surprised if he has a superior arm and the potential to keep the Air Raid IU passing game rollling.
I do not know what Tuttle brings either. But whatever it is, a better run game would help.

I like Penix, but he has been wildly inconsistent this year. If you think back through this year's games, he has actually played poorly in more quarters than he has played well.

There is no question that the defense is the strength of this team. Therefore, you can make that argument that we may benefit from a game manager type QB (assuming Tuttle can play that role).

I will say that I was very impressed at the passes Tuttle threw yesterday - tight spirals and right on the money.

We slowly seem to be losing the Deboer playbook that was so successful. Our receiver screens were lethal last year as was the tight end delay screen, and hitting the backs out of the backfield. We have seen less of all of them as the season has gone on. A lot more downfield stuff. Various things in the offense seem to be slowly breaking. Parts of the offense just mysteriously break this year. In the beginning of the season we had dropped balls everywhere. Yesterday Penix suddenly can't throw the ball. It's bizarre. It was encouraging to see some success in the running game yesterday, but Maryland is absolutely horrendous against the run, so I am not sure how much we can take from that. We are definitely not the well oiled machine we were last year, nor are we terrible. Everything has just gotten harder on offense.

I disagree. Sheridan has had plenty of good play calls this season. We actually ran a flea flicker. We run the same jet sweeps. He put in the wildcat yesterday instead of banging his head against the wall.
Our offense has flaws.....but last year’s did too.
Everybody wrings their hands over the offense. We have equalized those concerns by having a defense that has bettered its defensive stats over 2019 (through OSU game) national rankings:

23rd in pass defense
21st in 3rd down conversion defense
7th in interceptions
3rd in red zone defense
18th in run defense
22nd in team sacks made
2nd in turnover margin
18th in total defense

That, my friends, is the reason we are 5-1. Make no mistake.
I’ve been coveting a solid defense for decades. We finally got in a group of coaches who emphasize it. Don’t care who you are, a defense like that keeps you in every ballgame.

Reactions: midwolfe
We've gotten 5.5 games out of him this year. Many QB's on many teams have injuries hit. Tua was lost for season at AL. It happens. Why not take whatever we get and enjoy it while we can. Meanwhile, Tuttle could surprise us and we have Lawrence QB coming in at 6'5 who could be a future beast too. And maybe we get Jackson-Davis the next year from Center Grove, also 6'5 beast. IU is hopefully entering a new Golden Era of having depth and higher grade talent. Hence, we can utilize the best we have and also be able to truly live out "next man up" simultaneously.
The center grove QB is a half brother to TJD. Last name is “Jackson”.

With the pub we've gotten this year.
And the way we throw it around...
Indiana ought to be in the mix for a superior pro style stud Q.B. recruit in the next class or so.

Reactions: indiana ed
With the pub we've gotten this year.
And the way we throw it around...
Indiana ought to be in the mix for a superior pro style stud Q.B. recruit in the next class or so.
Absolutely. The pub this year has been very good for the program. The biggest endorsement comes from the announcers who have heaped praise on Allen, his coaching style and unique LEO philosophy this year. Somewhere, there are recruits watching all of that.

No Davis, just Jackson.

ADVERTISEMENT