ADVERTISEMENT

Stewart/Brunk/Franklin.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
Stewart and Brunk won’t play this season. Franklin is apparently still hurt.

Brunk had back surgery, so I get that. But it sounds like Archie has made the decision to not play Stewart. He really made the point of saying “I won’t have these guys”. “Injuries”. Blah. Blah. Blah. The dude is trying to set up some built in excuses so he can milk this for one more season. He’ll never see 3.5 M per season ever again.

Reactions: Lucy01 and jsbanks
Stewart and Brunk won’t play this season. Franklin is apparently still hurt.

Brunk had back surgery, so I get that. But it sounds like Archie has made the decision to not play Stewart. He really made the point of saying “I won’t have these guys”. “Injuries”. Blah. Blah. Blah. The dude is trying to set up some built in excuses so he can milk this for one more season. He’ll never see 3.5 M per season ever again.

Once Brunk had surgery it was a long shot that he would be able to play again this year. Stewart was at best 50/50 on seeing the floor this year. I do not have any medical info on Franklin, however if it was a bad or high ankle sprain that is something he just has to deal with the rest of the season until he can rest it for 4-6 weeks.

I think if given the choice of having an excuse or having 3-5 wins more if none of that happened, pretty sure he would take the wins.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
Once Brunk had surgery it was a long shot that he would be able to play again this year. Stewart was at best 50/50 on seeing the floor this year. I do not have any medical info on Franklin, however if it was a bad or high ankle sprain that is something he just has to deal with the rest of the season until he can rest it for 4-6 weeks.

I think if given the choice of having an excuse or having 3-5 wins more if none of that happened, pretty sure he would take the wins.

He would still lose games. Dude needs 10 five star guys to make the top 25. He sucks. Just like his brother.

Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
He would still lose games. Dude needs 10 five star guys to make the top 25. He sucks. Just like his brother.

I don’t want to speak for anyone else but to me it’s not unreasonable to believe we are at least 3 wins better if Brunk is not hurt and Franklin stays playing the way he was prior to his injury. Thats not even taking Parker into account at all because who knows really.

I certainly don’t think we are the same or worse with those guys playing. Just my opinion.

Yea that’s it. He’s purposely not playing talent so he has built in excuses for a poor record. Good one.

In other news, the Jews have started more wildfires again by shooting their space lasers at California.
That's why you have to wear your foil helmet!

I don’t want to speak for anyone else but to me it’s not unreasonable to believe we are at least 3 wins better if Brunk is not hurt and Franklin stays playing the way he was prior to his injury. Thats not even taking Parker into account at all because who knows really.

I certainly don’t think we are the same or worse with those guys playing. Just my opinion.

That’s why you don’t enter a season with only 3 bigs, 2 of which will be on the floor together at any given time.

Roster management has disappointed me. I knew 2 open schollies with a bench full of freshman would be troublesome.

That’s why you don’t enter a season with only 3 bigs, 2 of which will be on the floor together at any given time.

Roster management has disappointed me. I knew 2 open schollies with a bench full of freshman would be troublesome.

100% agree with that. We needed another big either in the last class or a transfer and didn’t get it. One injury impacted us much more than it should have.

Reactions: BHAII and IULouie

Yes, but many teams in the BT have suffered similar or more severe losses--

Purdue--Hunter, knee; Sasha S., COVID
Rutgers--Omaruyi, knee; G. Baker, high ankle sprain; Ron Harper, Jr, sprained ankle; Caleb McConnell, carry-over injury from 2020
OSU--Abel Porter, heart; Jimmy Sotos, shoulder; CJ Walker, hand; I. Diallo, knee; S. Towns, affects of prior injuries; Kyle Young, lower leg
MSU--F. Loyer, shoulder
Minnesota--Gabe Kalseheur, ?; Jarvus Omersa, opted out
Maryland--D. Morsell-face & shoulder
Illinois- Austin Hutcherson, back
Nebraska--A. Arop, knee
Wisconsin--T. Anderson, upper body; Ben Carson, upper body

Reactions: Radio Zero

Archie still thinks he’s in the Atlantic 10. Get a bunch of 6-6 guys Arch!

Rutgers--Omaruyi, knee; G. Baker, high ankle sprain; Ron Harper, Jr, sprained ankle; Caleb McConnell, carry-over injury from 2020
OSU--Abel Porter, heart; Jimmy Sotos, shoulder; CJ Walker, hand; I. Diallo, knee; S. Towns, affects of prior injuries; Kyle Young, lower leg
MSU--F. Loyer, shoulder
Nebraska--A. Arop, knee

Wasn’t arguing that even a little. Others have also struggled with some injuries. Just saying that Brunk (arguably our starting center) and Franklin (our second best player) being out impacted our W/Ls.

If we had another big man or another reliable guard the impact would be felt much less which is on Coach Miller.

Yea that’s it. He’s purposely not playing talent so he has built in excuses for a poor record. Good one.

In other news, the Jews have started more wildfires again by shooting their space lasers at California.
Wrong! That was Bill Gates and his weather controlling machine.

Wasn’t arguing that even a little. Others have also struggled with some injuries. Just saying that Brunk (arguably our starting center) and Franklin (our second best player) being out impacted our W/Ls.

If we had another big man or another reliable guard the impact would be felt much less which is on Coach Miller.

My point is we don't know whether injuries have been a net positive or a net negative for our record. Perhaps there are teams we beat who we wouldn't have beaten but for their injuries. Iowa is a prime example (Frederick). An injury or two is just the cost of doing business.

EDIT--MN is another game we might have lost had they been w/o injuries---Gabe K. and the center, Robbins, at 60% when we played them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
Guys, I've had back surgery. It screws you up for a long time. Granted, I'm no 20 year old, but the pain and recovery is very debilitating. Once your back is back to normal, then there is the matter of getting back in game condition. Let's face it, Brunk was never going to set the world on fire at center in the BIG before his injury. Now he has a long way to return. A high ankle sprain like Franklin has is also very debilitating depending on how severe. Look up what that means and you will realize just how bad that injury can be. I doubt either come back this year.

Last edited:
Guys, I've had back surgery. It screws you up for a long time. Granted, I'm no 20 year old, but the pain and recovery is very debilitating. Once your back is back to normal, then there is the matter of getting back in game condition. Let's face it, Brink was never going to set the world on fire at center in the BIG before his injury. Now he has a long way to return. A high ankle sprain like Franklin has is also very debilitating depending on how severe. Look up what that means and you will realize just how bad that injury can be. I doubt either come back this year.
I had a trainer tell me that some sprains are worse than a bone break from a quickness to come back standpoint.

My point is we don't know whether injuries have been a net positive or a net negative for our record. Perhaps there are teams we beat who we wouldn't have beaten but for their injuries. Iowa is a prime example (Frederick). An injury or two is just the cost of doing business.

EDIT--MN is another game we might have lost had they been w/o injuries---Gabe K. and the center, Robbins, at 60% when we played them.

I am sure 100% that 1 starter out all year and another hurt half a year is a net negative but you have your opinion and your opinion doesn’t bother me.

I had a trainer tell me that some sprains are worse than a bone break from a quickness to come back standpoint.
My doctor told me the same thing after I sprained my ankle in a pickup game. I was on crutches for weeks. My ankle swelled up bigger than my knee, and blood pooled in my foot for months.

It also didn't heal right and I can still make it pop real loud anytime I want. But the opiod samples my doctor gave me were....fun?

It's a long shot Brunk ever plays again. I used to run 5M every day, then had to have similar surgery. Don't feel comfortable trying it yet even 1 year later because I don't want to have to go to the Dr. if I F myself up and risk COVID. Obviously he has more options and resources than I, being a player, but he ain't goin pro, he may hang it up.

Reactions: Beorik

MSU--F. Loyer, shoulder
Nebraska--A. Arop, knee
Not that anyone here really cares but:
I n addition to the above.
Purdue lost Ivy for 5 games due to an ankle injury, Morton, a promising Freshman, had mono at the start of the season and isn't fully recovered yet and our back up center 6'-10" athletic Emmanuel Dowuona , before Eddey's emergence, missed the entire season so far, with complications due to Covid.

Not that anyone here really cares but:
I n addition to the above.
Purdue lost Ivy for 5 games due to an ankle injury, Morton, a promising Freshman, had mono at the start of the season and isn't fully recovered yet and our back up center 6'-10" athletic Emmanuel Dowuona , before Eddey's emergence, missed the entire season so far, with complications due to Covid.
Dowana and Morton were never going to be factors this year.

Dowana and Morton were never going to be factors this year.
What you say is probably true. Painter was able to work around these injuries which is the point of the thread. These were not scrubs that were injured. Dowouna was a highly regarded recruit, but injuries have really limited his ability to contribute. However, you have to look at the long term impact of injuries, and how it affects the construction of the team. In this case Dowouna was expected to be a strong back up or even starter when he first arrived.
  • Ranked as a 4-star center on 247Sports.
  • A four-star center according to ESPN.com, he is ranked No. 87 in the ESPN 100.
  • Ranked as the sixth-best center in America according to 247Sports.
  • Chose Purdue over offers from Tennessee, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Miami (Fla.) and others.
  • Was named one of FanRag Sports Under the Radar Freshmen in the Big Ten.
The same is true for Morton:
  • Was ranked 83rd nationally by ESPN, 88th by Rivals and 94th by 247Sports.
  • Named Pennsylvania’s Gatorade State Player of the Year and Pennsylvania Mr. Basketball.
  • Averaged 23.4 points, 13.0 rebounds and 8.3 assists per game, shooting 56 percent from the field and 81 percent from the free throw line.
  • Finished career with 2,198 points and was a two-time first-team All-State selection. Also had 912 rebounds, 682 assists and 138 blocked shots.
  • Chose Purdue over a slew offers, including Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Virginia, Oregon and others.
I only offer this because we are talking about the impact of injuries on various teams. To dismiss these two players as insignificant is inaccurate. In fact, Matt Painter said he wished he had Morton on the team last year.

Guys, I've had back surgery. It screws you up for a long time. Granted, I'm no 20 year old, but the pain and recovery is very debilitating. Once your back is back to normal, then there is the matter of getting back in game condition. Let's face it, Brunk was never going to set the world on fire at center in the BIG before his injury. Now he has a long way to return. A high ankle sprain like Franklin has is also very debilitating depending on how severe. Look up what that means and you will realize just how bad that injury can be. I doubt either come back this year.

I think back surgeries only have like a 50% success rate. They are notorious for only providing some temporary relief and then the symptoms often return within 2 years.
Never had back surgery but when I was in high school I had a lumbar strain/ tear that put me in bed for 2 weeks before I could even get up and walk. It was excruciating. Every movement felt like someone was sticking you with an ice pick.

I must have had a bunch of inflammation with it because I started running a fever and they tested me for RA, even though I told them I heard it pop during a tackling drill in football.

30 years later and the the thing feels stiff like scar tissue settled in. Back injuries are notoriously hard to treat.

Reactions: mathboy
What you say is probably true. Painter was able to work around these injuries which is the point of the thread. These were not scrubs that were injured. Dowouna was a highly regarded recruit, but injuries have really limited his ability to contribute. However, you have to look at the long term impact of injuries, and how it affects the construction of the team. In this case Dowouna was expected to be a strong back up or even starter when he first arrived.
  • Ranked as a 4-star center on 247Sports.
  • A four-star center according to ESPN.com, he is ranked No. 87 in the ESPN 100.
  • Ranked as the sixth-best center in America according to 247Sports.
  • Chose Purdue over offers from Tennessee, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Miami (Fla.) and others.
  • Was named one of FanRag Sports Under the Radar Freshmen in the Big Ten.
The same is true for Morton:
  • Was ranked 83rd nationally by ESPN, 88th by Rivals and 94th by 247Sports.
  • Named Pennsylvania’s Gatorade State Player of the Year and Pennsylvania Mr. Basketball.
  • Averaged 23.4 points, 13.0 rebounds and 8.3 assists per game, shooting 56 percent from the field and 81 percent from the free throw line.
  • Finished career with 2,198 points and was a two-time first-team All-State selection. Also had 912 rebounds, 682 assists and 138 blocked shots.
  • Chose Purdue over a slew offers, including Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Virginia, Oregon and others.
I only offer this because we are talking about the impact of injuries on various teams. To dismiss these two players as insignificant is inaccurate. In fact, Matt Painter said he wished he had Morton on the team last year.
Oh hey , Mr. Doyle.

Dowana and Morton ARE scrubs. Dowana is in his 3rd year at Purdue and has never played a meaningful minute. Morton plays exactly how he did on the AAU circuit. He put up big numbers against inferior competition in high school. When he played AAU against actual talent, he crumbled as he has done in his first year at Purdue. I don’t expect that to change in the future. He would have to jump 2 or 3 players to get any sort of meaningful playing time. But hey, at least he can pass 😉.

I think back surgeries only have like a 50% success rate. They are notorious for only providing some temporary relief and then the symptoms often return within 2 years.
Never had back surgery but when I was in high school I had a lumbar strain/ tear that put me in bed for 2 weeks before I could even get up and walk. It was excruciating. Every movement felt like someone was sticking you with an ice pick.

I must have had a bunch of inflammation with it because I started running a fever and they tested me for RA, even though I told them I heard it pop during a tackling drill in football.

30 years later and the the thing feels stiff like scar tissue settled in. Back injuries are notoriously hard to treat.
That is true. Mine relieved the constant pain, but physically I'm a shell of myself an entire year later and scared to try much yet to get back to normal. Things like taking out the trash hurt, brushing your teeth or hair hurt or showering for a while. Changing my cats litter pans still is intimidating, it's a long recovery

Last edited:
Let’s call this what it is: a failed coaching experiment.

Next coach up.

I would actually be more engaged with a new coach next year and 9 wins or so than watching Archie mail it in and do the same thing.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
ADVERTISEMENT