ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens is out- on to Chris Beard (I hope)

Believe me I want to be wrong. Whoever is named coach I will root my booty off for them. Just thought Coach Stevens was our only realistic bet at a sure turnaround. I think all others are 50/50.

I am praying we choose the right one!!!
There's another one, even better, but we won't do it all holier than thou

As disappointed as I am about the Stevens ship sailing, I am still thrilled with Scott Dolson for sacking up and proving he isn’t afraid to swing for the fences. The private donor contributions to cover Archie’s buyout and transition costs are still worth it to me. Holding on to Archie for another season would have been nearly criminal.
Stevens was, at best, the longest of shots. Always good to ask, but we really didn’t have a chance here.

I love the guys you mentioned, but we can't have a staff of only ex players.
Where are we headed? It's down to like Matta, Belein, Pearl, Musselman and new blood, or just new blood and more of it. All those guys should be considered for top asst. hires. I'm just happy AM is gone and our hands aren't tied. Fife, I would be OK with. Let's face it, we're sucking next year regardless, if there's a time to experiment on a cheap contract, the time is now and MSU's season is over ... just sayin

How about Marco Killingsworth?
Well, if 18-10 is what is expected, I doubt we could do worse than him with zero coaching experience for like 10% of Beard. Beard is OK, not proven. Call us with the buyout etc. when you can manage to win the B12 and expect 25 wins a year. The idea of buying out and paying someone for a Mike Davis like resume is abso****inlutely absurd

Where are we headed? It's down to like Matta, Belein, Pearl, Musselman and new blood, or just new blood and more of it. All those guys should be considered for top asst. hires. I'm just happy AM is gone and our hands aren't tied. Fife, I would be OK with. Let's face it, we're sucking next year regardless, if there's a time to experiment on a cheap contract, the time is now and MSU's season is over ... just sayin

I hear you, I don't know where it's headed. I would be OK w Matta, Musselman and maybe Oats. Belien would be fine but he seems like a stop gap measure.

I don't know about Beard.

Fife will be a good HC...just not sure if it's now. Or if he wants to leave the state of Michigan.

Well, if 18-10 is what is expected, I doubt we could do worse than him with zero coaching experience for like 10% of Beard. Beard is OK, not proven. Call us with the buyout etc. when you can manage to win the B12 and expect 25 wins a year. The idea of buying out and paying someone for a Mike Davis like resume is abso****inlutely absurd

You just suggested a staff of Fife, Cheaney, Hulls, Lewis, and Bailey...and call Beard absurd? I don’t even know what to say without questioning your sobriety or mental health.

I’d like to go after Beard and Bennet next. If there is an IU guy to be considered, in my opinion - the best combination of personality and X/O s would be Smart. Lots of risk with any of the IU guys.
Beard is not an IU guy. What I like is how every fan on here wants this guy or that guy but the guys who are past IU players want Chaney or Smart or someone from Indiana or who played at Indiana and knows the culture.

Yeah, let’s hire the assistant coach of a 15-13 team, a guy who with a bad back who hasn’t coached in four years, or a 68 year old with heart problems.
I’m sorry are you going off of one year. If that’s the case there is a lot of coaches that should be hired or not. Let’s look at the body of work over his career at MSU and not one bad year. I like how idiots that never played basketball for IU know what it takes to be a great coach at IU.

Damn that's disappointing. Why in God's name would he want to stay at a job he likely won't have in a year?

He must not want anything to do with the IU gig.
Maybe he's holding out for the Dook job after K retires.

Maybe he's holding out for the Dook job after K retires.
I think he’s afraid to take a P5 job. He has a great image as a Super Savant coach and won’t want to jeopardise it. My guess is he will stay in the NBA and eventually go to a front office. And make millions coaching and networking until then. He parlayed his two Butler runs into a very nice career.

Reactions: 76-1
Mike Davis couldn't hold Beard's whistle. Dope.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
IMO we didn’t just fire Archie Miller for $10 million on a buyout to hire Dane F***ing Fife. What is wrong with some you all. Seems like everybody is so eager to get a coach that will put them in a comfort bubble. Average team, tourney appearances as a 6-10 seed every year seems like the standard mentality for some on this tread. We need to go after a serious winner. Someone who can actually bring championships to the program. Start thinking outside the box. If we are down to Beilin, Matta, and Fife being acceptable hires we are cooked for now and for forever.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Cheany, Smart, and Baily have no history of coaching success. Why would anyone hire them to lead a high level D1 program? No one has ever adequately explained how being an "IU Guy" makes up for not actually being a viable coach. Who else would hire them? I mean, besides nobody.
Oh, didn’t you hear?

The IU guy brings with him some magical Bob Knight fairy dust to sprinkle on the program and....poof! Overnight we become a top 5 team.

bd0db5e451ef4d6e7767a0125923b2d2.jpg

Sounds like he and his wife played us for a 2 month period in order to get a pay raise from Boston. Never had any intent of coming. Dolson has to be the dumbest person alive. He should've had something in writing long ago before it got this far.

Did Stevens get a mid season pay raise?

8 years in BOS w nothing to show for it = pink slip soon. Have fun in Orlando or Cleveland., Stevens.

Did you really think he was going to quit mid season on the Celtics who are playing for the playoffs?

Really?

Will the IU fan base be pissed off with Beard if he doesn't resign tomorrow and take the job?

Why do we expect Stevens to do that?

For me that's the most befuddling thing about this. It seems the IU fan base really believed Stevens was going to quit on his team mid-season.

It doesn't work that way.

Did you really think he was going to quit mid season on the Celtics who are playing for the playoffs?

Really?

Will the IU fan base be pissed off with Beard if he doesn't resign tomorrow and take the job?

Why do we expect Stevens to do that?

For me that's the most befuddling thing about this. It seems the IU fan base really believed Stevens was going to quit on his team mid-season.

It doesn't work that way.
He had to be pressed to get to that answer and he gave an awnser that is easily deflected. I am not at this time.

Except he can't say that.

Then again, when asked about the position, instead of coming out with a 'listen, I'm not interested. End of story' like he's done many times before when other jobs have called....he waxes poetically about what Indiana means to him.

If you actually followed him through the years you would be able to recognize that it's a switch in tone.

Is it enough to bet the farm, not even close, but it is a change in tone.

So much that if you were my hired AD and you came to me and said 'well Stevens said no to some morning radio donkeys so he's out' I would give you a set of steak knives and fire you on the spot.

Lol on your 'I never said I'd walk away'. That's just you trying to hedge because you're not going to make any speculation that you could be pinned down out of some social fear of a silly message board.

So who are the guys you are going after if you were the AD?

He had to be pressed to get to that answer and he gave an awnser that is easily deflected. I am not at this time.

Except he can't say that.

Then again, when asked about the position, instead of coming out with a 'listen, I'm not interested. End of story' like he's done many times before when other jobs have called....he waxes poetically about what Indiana means to him.

If you actually followed him through the years you would be able to recognize that it's a switch in tone.

Is it enough to bet the farm, not even close, but it is a change in tone.

So much that if you were my hired AD and you came to me and said 'well Stevens said no to some morning radio donkeys so he's out' I would give you a set of steak knives and fire you on the spot.

Lol on your 'I never said I'd walk away'. That's just you trying to hedge because you're not going to make any speculation that you could be pinned down out of some social fear of a silly message board.

So who are the guys you are going after if you were the AD?

Well today was more of the emphatic no but I still think he could be in play.

They had to get the rumors to die because it's effecting the Celtics locker room. They've lost 3 in a row, badly with the last two to inferior teams.

Bos was favored by 7 tonight.

As I said from the beginning, if we're seriously going after Stevens we'd have to be patient as he won't be available until his season is over.

That's what I don't get with the fan base. People who thought he was going to quit on his team mid season were being presumptuous.

So I'll ask again, who is your guy? You still haven't told us who if we had a competent AD they'd get "X".

You have a guy right?

Well today was more of the emphatic no but I still think he could be in play.

They had to get the rumors to die because it's effecting the Celtics locker room. They've lost 3 in a row, badly with the last two to inferior teams.

Bos was favored by 7 tonight.

As I said from the beginning, if we're seriously going after Stevens we'd have to be patient as he won't be available until his season is over.

That's what I don't get with the fan base. People who thought he was going to quit on his team mid season were being presumptuous.

So I'll ask again, who is your guy? You still haven't told us who if we had a competent AD they'd get "X".

You have a guy right?
He said no. Twice. Emphatically. Unequivocally.

Reactions: CC Mac
I kept wrestling with the idea that no alum would give up $10M without having a very good idea who might be coming in. Then I realized it's two separate business cases, related but not directly connected: (1) Is the current coach worth keeping, at least another year? and (2) who will be the replacement coach? It's possible that whoever funded the first case was not as influential about finding the new coach. So I'm at least at peace with the decision about the first case, but still concerned about finding the replacement.

I think Thad or John B. would have already been named, but if we still don't have a coach by the end of the tourney then things get really strange. I'm not so sure a different professional coach is not in the running.

I don't think it's a slam on IU, I think he LOVES the NBA (and possibly hates recruiting etc).
[/QUOTE

Reminds me of the guy who went to the urologist for his annual colorectal exam. The doc said "you know the drill, drop trou and bend over. So the guy did just that, knowing full well that the doctor was putting on the gloves and lubing up. Suddenly, the guy says "Ouch"...damm, Doc....feels like you are using two fingers! Doc says, yes I am. Guy says why? Doc says...I'm getting an immediate second opinion."

Stevens' wife is also his agent....he got an immediate second opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT