ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens is out- on to Chris Beard (I hope)

Chris Beard isn't an unknown. This Stevens or bust mentality that people have is ridiculous. He was always going to be a longshot, just because you can't hire Brad Stevens doesn't mean you hold onto a bad coach.

There are many coaches out there that can outdo what Archie did.
As disappointed as I am about the Stevens ship sailing, I am still thrilled with Scott Dolson for sacking up and proving he isn’t afraid to swing for the fences. The private donor contributions to cover Archie’s buyout and transition costs are still worth it to me. Holding on to Archie for another season would have been nearly criminal.

Cheany, Smart, and Baily have no history of coaching success. Why would anyone hire them to lead a high level D1 program? No one has ever adequately explained how being an "IU Guy" makes up for not actually being a viable coach. Who else would hire them? I mean, besides nobody.

For me there is something to be said for someone that wants the program to succeed because it’s in your heart.

And as we have seen with every hire since Coach Knight..... the chance of sustained success from the flavor of the month isn’t super high either.

Reactions: 76-1
None of these top targets have interest in IU. Why would Beard, Drew, or Bennett trade what they’ve built to take this job. This is the same situation that’s landed us Sampson, Crean, and Miller over the years. Maybe we’ll end up with Oral Roberts coach.

Damn that's disappointing. Why in God's name would he want to stay at a job he likely won't have in a year?

He must not want anything to do with the IU gig.

my impression from his comments which were overtly geared towards his love of Boston is that he knows he’s on thin ice with the Celtics, and is playing to the crowd in hopes that he can get an extra year or 2 there. By extension I think that means he wants to stay in the NBA long term, but wants to stick around in Boston as long as he can before moving to another job.

NBA guys know they generally only have a modest shelf life at any given team. and would be silly to overly invested in their location.

I know fife doesn’t have head coaching experience except IPFW I believe. Indians guy and knows what it takes. Definitely a risk but wouldn’t cost too much. Belein is just too old, beard is ok, not sure where you go. Oh the insanity

None of these top targets have interest in IU. Why would Beard, Drew, or Bennett trade what they’ve built to take this job. This is the same situation that’s landed us Sampson, Crean, and Miller over the years. Maybe we’ll end up with Oral Roberts coach.

I agree on Bennett. No way he leaves Virginia. I think we could possibly pull in Beard, though I'm not necessarily confident. But I could see it. Drew, well he's from Indiana, so perhaps, but I don't think we'd go for Drew.

Chris Beard isn't an unknown. This Stevens or bust mentality that people have is ridiculous. He was always going to be a longshot, just because you can't hire Brad Stevens doesn't mean you hold onto a bad coach.

There are many coaches out there that can outdo what Archie did.

He is not an unknown. But in my opinion he certainly isn’t a sure thing as far as sustained success goes.

I was happy to have someone pay out Millions for someone who was close to a sure thing. I wouldn’t bet money that Coach Beard is coming and if he does I don’t think it’s guaranteed that he does significantly better than Coach Crean or Coach Miller.”

Sounds like he and his wife played us for a 2 month period in order to get a pay raise from Boston. Never had any intent of coming. Dolson has to be the dumbest person alive. He should've had something in writing long ago before it got this far.

He is not an unknown. But in my opinion he certainly isn’t a sure thing as far as sustained success goes.

I was happy to have someone pay out Millions for someone who was close to a sure thing. I wouldn’t bet money that Coach Beard is coming and if he does I don’t think it’s guaranteed that he does significantly better than Coach Crean or Coach Miller.”
Agreed. Is Beard a good coach? Yes. Does that mean he’s a surefire bet to return IU to “blue blood” status? No. To me, anyone outside of Brad Stevens will be somewhat of a risk.

Reactions: Beorik

I literally disagree with all of this but agree to disagree. Hopefully he comes to Indiana so we can find out.

I certainly didn't want IU to pay a $10 million buyout just to roll JB's old bones out there next season.

Sounds like he and his wife played us for a 2 month period in order to get a pay raise from Boston. Never had any intent of coming. Dolson has to be the dumbest person alive. He should've had something in writing long ago before it got this far.
None of us will ever know exactly what information Scott Dolson provided to the two unknown donors that made them feel comfortable enough to commit to covering Miller’s buyout and the coaching transition costs. All I know is we should be thrilled to have an athletic director who is committed to swinging for the fences and winning at the highest level. If Dolson lacked courage, he would have made the weak decision to hold on to Archie for another season.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I literally disagree with all of this but agree to disagree. Hopefully he comes to Indiana and we can find out.

I certainly didn't want IU to pay a %10 million buyout just to roll JB's old bones out there next season.

Believe me I want to be wrong. Whoever is named coach I will root my booty off for them. Just thought Coach Stevens was our only realistic bet at a sure turnaround. I think all others are 50/50.

I am praying we choose the right one!!!

None of us will ever know exactly what information Scott Dolson provided to the two unknown donors that made them feel comfortable enough to commit to covering Miller’s buyout and the coaching transition costs. All I know is we should be thrilled to have an athletic director who is committed to swinging for the fences and winning at the highest level. If Dolson lacked courage, he would have made the weak decision to hold on to Archie for another season.

I will reserve judgment until he hires someone.

Courage is fine. A plan is better.

Gotta go get Pitino.
I've asked this question before, but haven't gotten an answer. When Pitino is suggested the overwhelming majority of people hate the idea. Why suggest someone that most of the fan base totally dislikes as a coaching option?

I will reserve judgment until he hires someone.

Courage is fine. A plan is better.
I understand what you’re saying. What I’m wondering is whether Dolson told the donors he had Stevens locked up or it was simply a possibility.

I've asked this question before, but haven't gotten an answer. When Pitino is suggested the overwhelming majority of people hate the idea. Why suggest someone that most of the fan base totally dislikes as a coaching option?

And who is this fan base anyway? Internet posters? Lol. If IU hires Pitino the buzz would be overwhelming.

Who cares what the “fan base” wants? Pitino would win big and fast. The “fanbase” would love that and triple in size. That’s what matters.

Reactions: Upset Alert
Who cares what the “fan base” wants? Pitino would win big and fast. The “fanbase” would love that and triple in size. That’s what matters.
Would Dolson and the university be willing to bring in Pitino despite the hooker scandal at Louisville? Personally, it doesn’t bother me. I’m wondering if the university would be willing to look past it.

Would Dolson and the university be willing to bring in Pitino despite the hooker scandal at Louisville? Personally, it doesn’t bother me. I’m wondering if the university would be willing to look past it.

He needs a name badly. Beilein isn't it. So yeah bring on the hookers.

Reactions: BayernFan
It should. It would show that indiana is serious about winning at a high level. The fans would love the hire bc of that. Enough is enough. Titties and titles. What is wrong with that?!

Yes, having to physically remove banners is something I really want to experience, not that he would win any.

I’d think the university would care. Besides, as I’ve linked more than once, he’s not cleared of NCAA allegations at UofL, so why would IU even consider him. I’m pretty sure they aren’t.

I’d think the university would care. Besides, as I’ve linked more than once, he’s not cleared of NCAA allegations at UofL, so why would IU even consider him. I’m pretty sure they aren’t.

From what I have read in other forums I don’t think IU is even considering him or Drew.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
From what I have read in other forums I don’t think IU is even considering him or Drew.
They aren't. It's just a small minority that have the fixation on Slick Rick and the rest hate the idea. Drew hasn't gained any traction either. Not as sure why on him.

As disappointed as I am about the Stevens ship sailing, I am still thrilled with Scott Dolson for sacking up and proving he isn’t afraid to swing for the fences. The private donor contributions to cover Archie’s buyout and transition costs are still worth it to me. Holding on to Archie for another season would have been nearly criminal.
Thank you for some sanity. This lets back up the truck for a history of usually 19-12, is beyond me. Beard is no more than an AM 2.0 that we'll pay double. I wish people would drop this RMK jedi knowledge he's supposed to possess, his resume doesn't speak to that. Shit, if we're playing the association game, just hire Pat for half a M, results may be better just on recruiting. Beard doesn't recruit talent, that's a real problem. This isn't a football school where you just make the tourney and "oh we've got a pretty OK bball team". No, he'd need to be on an entirely different level of commitment, bu I'm not sure he can ... why, because he's never had to try, much like Miller

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Thank you for some sanity. This lets back up the truck for a history of usually 19-12, is beyond me. Beard is no more than an AM 2.0 that we'll pay double. I wish people would drop this RMK jedi knowledge he's supposed to possess, his resume doesn't speak to that. Shit, if we're playing the association game, just hire Pat for half a M, results may be better just on recruiting. Beard doesn't recruit talent, that's a real problem. This isn't a football school where you just make the tourney and "oh we've got a pretty OK bball team". No, he'd need to be on an entirely different level of commitment, bu I'm not sure he can ... why, because he's never had to try, much like Miller
What IU needs is a coach who isn’t afraid of the bright lights of a job such as this one. He needs to be an excellent developer of talent who will identify and recruit high school players whose skill sets he knows he will contribute to the formation of a winning program. He needs to understand and recognize the history and tradition of IU while being bold enough to bring new ideas to the table.

Yeah this isn't even worth arguing with.

I agree on Bennett. No way he leaves Virginia. I think we could possibly pull in Beard, though I'm not necessarily confident. But I could see it. Drew, well he's from Indiana, so perhaps, but I don't think we'd go for Drew.
At this point, I'd be really happy with Fife AND and an extremely strong suite of assistants, Lewes, Hulls, Cheney, Bailey etc. I do not like Beard as a coach here, just feels like deja vu

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
At this point, I'd be really happy with Fife AND and an extremely strong suite of assistants, Lewes, Hulls, Cheney, Bailey etc. I do not like Beard as a coach here, just feels like deja vu

Ha ha. Good one.

Why is that so many people’s first response? I don’t think anyone should have spent $10 million for an unknown. That doesn’t mean I don’t want a winner. I would’ve paid double that by out if landing Coach Stevens or someone of equal value was a sure thing. But I wouldn’t pay that kind of money if we run a 50-50 chance of being in the same or worse situation in another four or five years. It’s called trying to be smart about it.
No one spent $10 million.

I'm not joking, really feel like Beard is a bad idea. If we're gambling now, let's take better odds than that

I love the guys you mentioned, but we can't have a staff of only ex players.

ADVERTISEMENT