ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens is out- on to Chris Beard (I hope)

Time to move on from Stevens in future coaching searches as well, he clearly doesn't want the job. Beard is a must now.

Reactions: Knightfan2
Agree with SIhoosier26 - "Time to move on from Stevens in future coaching searches as well, he clearly doesn't want the job." What do we say about players who don't want to be at IU?!? It's going to be hard to watch when the Celtics can him, but he should easily find another NBA spot.

On the bright side I was getting ready to re-up my Varsity Club position (for tickets I can't use anyway) and I'll have a lot more disposable income. A LOT of player alumni have been pushing for an IU connection and IU player connection for coach and that scares me. I like and respect all of them but I don't see anyone pushing us to the top and would not look forward to firing one of our own 4-5 years down the road.

Reactions: IUgradman
This is why I was unconvinced the buyout was worth it. In my opinion Coach Stevens was the only one who’s name recognition and local/national celebrity instantly changed the recruiting landscape in our favor.

I think anyone else is going to need to come in and build it up over time. I think it could have waited a year and saved a ton of money.

Obviously I hope I am wrong and no matter who the coach is, I will be yelling “go IU”.

I personally kinda hope its an IU guy now. If we are gonna take a chance lets take a chance on Cheaney or Smart. Hell go get Damon Bailey and see what he can do over 4 years. It will at least have me invested in both the team and coach succeeding.

This is why I was unconvinced the buyout was worth it. In my opinion Coach Stevens was the only one who’s name recognition and local/national celebrity instantly changed the recruiting landscape in our favor.

I think anyone else is going to need to come in and build it up over time. I think it could have waited a year and saved a ton of money.

Obviously I hope I am wrong and no matter who the coach is, I will be yelling “go IU”.

I personally kinda hope its an IU guy now. If we are gonna take a chance lets take a chance on Cheaney or Smart. Hell go get Damon Bailey and see what he can do over 4 years. It will at least have me invested in both the team and coach succeeding.
I’d like to go after Beard and Bennet next. If there is an IU guy to be considered, in my opinion - the best combination of personality and X/O s would be Smart. Lots of risk with any of the IU guys.

So you would've preferred to suck for 4 years rather than maybe suck for 3 years while another coach builds it up?

Newsflash Archie wasn't building anything, the program is in the toilet and next year would've been even worse than this one. Archie had to go.

Reactions: hoosier48
I’d like to go after Beard and Bennet next. If there is an IU guy to be considered, in my opinion - the best combination of personality and X/O s would be Smart. Lots of risk with any of the IU guys.

I don’t disagree and I wouldn’t hate either of those hires at all. I just think none of the remaining candidates would lead to a quick turn around and all have risks.

Damn that's disappointing. Why in God's name would he want to stay at a job he likely won't have in a year?

He must not want anything to do with the IU gig.

So you would've preferred to suck for 4 years rather than maybe suck for 3 years while another coach builds it up?

Newsflash Archie wasn't building anything, the program is in the toilet and next year would've been even worse than this one. Archie had to go.

Yes I would agree to be mediocre to bad 1 additional year to save that amount of money and run the risk of still being mediocre to bad at the end of the next coaches tenure.

Yes I would agree to be mediocre to bad 1 additional year to save that amount of money and run the risk of still being mediocre to bad at the end of the next coaches tenure.
IU didn’t lose any money some rich dude did

Then you don't care about having a winning program. First of all it's not you or my money, second the unknown is always better than a guaranteed loser. You never know what can happen or how certain coaches are going to do.

Appears to be credible info coming that Stevens said no to IU again. Let’s go get Chris Beard. PS- I hope Brad gets the Celtics rolling because he won’t last much longer being an 8-9 seed
No, Beard is the flavor of the month. Drew, Matta, Belein, or even Fife.

Reactions: BayernFan

Yeah, let’s hire the assistant coach of a 15-13 team, a guy with a bad back who hasn’t coached in four years, or a 68 year old with heart problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCoctostan
The most difficult part about selecting any of these guys is none are guaranteed to win big. Stevens was really the only candidate who fit that qualification. I’ll support whoever Dolson hires 110%. I won’t have the same confidence in him that I would have had in Stevens, but will always hope for the best. This fan base has been burned countless times over the last 20 years. It’s not always easy to keep the faith.

Reactions: Beorik
Then you don't care about having a winning program. First of all it's not you or my money, second the unknown is always better than a guaranteed loser. You never know what can happen or how certain coaches are going to do.

Why is that so many people’s first response? I don’t think anyone should have spent $10 million for an unknown. That doesn’t mean I don’t want a winner. I would’ve paid double that by out if landing Coach Stevens or someone of equal value was a sure thing. But I wouldn’t pay that kind of money if we run a 50-50 chance of being in the same or worse situation in another four or five years. It’s called trying to be smart about it.

Cheany, Smart, and Baily have no history of coaching success. Why would anyone hire them to lead a high level D1 program? No one has ever adequately explained how being an "IU Guy" makes up for not actually being a viable coach. Who else would hire them? I mean, besides nobody.

If they hire Drew it will be an epic fail. Drew shouldn’t be considered by IU or our fan base. Jesus you all forget he threatened Hanner, went after mark adams, AHOPE, Indiana Elite and our Alumni Association. I bet they didn’t forget that! Indiana high school and AAU coaches hate him. Good luck recruiting the state after that.

Why is that so many people’s first response? I don’t think anyone should have spent $10 million for an unknown. That doesn’t mean I don’t want a winner. I would’ve paid double that by out if landing Coach Stevens or someone of equal value was a sure thing. But I wouldn’t pay that kind of money if we run a 50-50 chance of being in the same or worse situation in another four or five years. It’s called trying to be smart about it.
Chris Beard isn't an unknown. This Stevens or bust mentality that people have is ridiculous. He was always going to be a longshot, just because you can't hire Brad Stevens doesn't mean you hold onto a bad coach.

There are many coaches out there that can outdo what Archie did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT