ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Carr (RB) transferred to IU

IU_Hickory

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2017
He would be a very good RB for IU; Coach McCollough has knowledge of what like of person he is. We will just have to see if he comes to IU and become more depth with that room. I would like to see Ellis as a slot receiver and give IU more depth there and more ways to get him the ball.

Not sure how plugged in the folks at WeAreSC are, but they seem to have an inkling he's going to end up at IU. In the following video, one guy first strongly hints that IU will be Carr's landing spot (just before the 2-minute mark) and then pretty much comes out and declares IU will be where he goes (just after the 7-minute mark).

Great. Does anyone know if CTA is interested?

One would surmise this is the perfect type of player CTA would like to acquire as we get to this point in the year. He's immediately eligible in a position of depth that is needed and only has one year left. So coach can maintain his recruiting approach for 2022 while also upgrading the RB room with a 5 star.

One would surmise this is the perfect type of player CTA would like to acquire as we get to this point in the year. He's immediately eligible in a position of depth that is needed and only has one year left. So coach can maintain his recruiting approach for 2022 while also upgrading the RB room with a 5 star.
And Run DMC know the guy so cultural fit question can be easily answered

He was apparently leaving because he got passed on the depth chart. Was he not as good as his ranking or just didn't fit the Air Raid offense?

Think he would be the starter here?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Having quality roster additions is obviously a great situation. I just want to ensure we have enough scholarships available to address any critical needs. I don’t know where RB’s rank on the list of priorities.

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
Not that it's a dealbreaker, but if he comes and ends up getting drafted, we probably lose Sampson James along the way.

He would only be here for a year. For Carr to have an effect on James, he would have to leave this offseason, unless it's leaving just because of being pissed off over the fact that we recruited over him.

Of course, James could still start over Carr even if he comes.

Last edited:
Having quality roster additions is obviously a great situation. I just want to ensure we have enough scholarships available to address any critical needs. I don’t know where RB’s rank on the list of priorities.

I believe we have 2-4 scholarships available for this year coming up.

This is literally a no lose situation scholarship wise. He wouldn't take up anything past this year. If he fits the LEO culture and can help the team, bring him in for depth.

He was apparently leaving because he got passed on the depth chart. Was he not as good as his ranking or just didn't fit the Air Raid offense?

Think he would be the starter here?
Some USC fans in the Reddit thread about him entering the portal mentioned the Air Raid not being a good fit for his skill set. So the system might have been a factor.

We only have 2 players who have any experience, Sampson James and Tim Baldwin Jr.

Baldwin has played in 3 games. He did well in those 3 games but still only has 3 games under his belt. Sampson James had a great rushing game vs. Purdue to wrap up the 2019 seasons and has shown some spurts but hasn't had a full slate yet. The RB room is in need of someone JUST like this.

So I would put RB as probably one of the highest positions of need from an experience standpoint. The young guys could have what we need but we know what to expect with this kid. We should also expect at least one injury and more than likely 2 at some point which means adding a guy like this could be the difference maker as we grind through a 14 game season. ;) I said what I said.....

We only have 2 players who have any experience, Sampson James and Tim Baldwin Jr.

Baldwin has played in 3 games. He did well in those 3 games but still only has 3 games under his belt. Sampson James had a great rushing game vs. Purdue to wrap up the 2019 seasons and has shown some spurts but hasn't had a full slate yet. The RB room is in need of someone JUST like this.

So I would put RB as probably one of the highest positions of need from an experience standpoint. The young guys could have what we need but we know what to expect with this kid. We should also expect at least one injury and more than likely 2 at some point which means adding a guy like this could be the difference maker as we grind through a 14 game season. ;) I said what I said.....

So when you say "I said what I said"...you really meant...

3sdxv6.jpg

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
His HS film is off the hook .... it would be fun to see him get carries at IU with a balanced run/pass game. He’s a threat every time he touches the ball.
The USC guys flat out state he was ill used and that the USC run game the last few years has been poor. I love his wiggle and straight line speed.

Sampson James, I dont believe, will ever prove to be a stud. Flashes yes. But won’t do it to the level we need. I do hope I’m wrong.

Seems like you are right. I've wondered why he hasn't been used more the last couple of years, but there seems to be something holding him back.

Seems like you are right. I've wondered why he hasn't been used more the last couple of years, but there seems to be something holding him back.
We will find out how good he is with Scott gone and Coach McCollough now the RB coach. If Sampson can do it this is the season to show especially with a couple of RBs looking really good in Spring ball.

I agree with you about coach Hart and Scott was his favorite. Now all RBs will get their shot from coach McCollough to show they should see the field. He gives the RBs a chance to prove what they can do.
I think Scott was the favorite to play because he had proved he could make the plays needed, jmho. He was a decent runner, could catch a ball out of the backfield plus hold his own in protection. I feel it was the overall package that made him a favorite over James. Not saying James is a slouch, just not as good in the other categories, yet. Scott was decent at blocking, (in particular) and I don't think it was a secret that we needed to protect Mr Penix from the blitz.
I hope S.James has a monster year and career going forward.
Go Hoosiers!

This guy is a 5-star stud. Sampson James was a 4-star stud. Baldwin was a 3-star with obvious talent. All that said, I’m still hoping to see our PWO play. Lot of talent for Coach Mc to utilize. This is gonna be fun.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT