ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen A Smith is going to be a little richer & the highest paid ESPN talent

What. He makes more than Dakich. No wonder they are struggling. I'd be curious to know who really listens to what he has to say.

Just hope they keep him away from college basketball and the college football game day show. Saturday mornings are the best during college football season.

That guy is awful. I can’t stand listening to him. But, I only turn to ESPN for the games. They have become too political.
me neither...but you may not be his, or ESPN’s, target audience.

I aslo feel like ESPN spends too large amount of time on the NBA...

Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, Colin Cowherd, Woody Paige, Jason Whitlock, Shannon Sharpe and on and on and on. Sports talk has deteriorated into contentious debate and "hot takes" that caters to the lowest common denominator as it tries to rile both sides of any issue by any means necessary...in 60 seconds or less.

They all suck

You'd have to pay me to listen to him. The fact he's even being considered for a $10 million/year contract is a joke.

I struggle to listen to SAS, he always comes off as an angry man.
SAS is Frowny, Urban, Angry, and Untouchable.
ESPN is all about political correctness, and promoting the liberal agenda into the sports world. ESPN has made the mistake of mixing politics and sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: southerIN6
me neither...but you may not be his, or ESPN’s, target audience.

I aslo feel like ESPN spends too large amount of time on the NBA...
NBA is a primarily urban sport.
Rural Indiana does not fit into ESPN's basketball demographic target audience.
But they can't ignore Indiana does not exist, but we are the country bumpkins to Spike Lee and Steven A. Smith's ESPN East Coast/NYC home market.

Doesn't he have a 4 hour type talk radio show in New England area? That is ESPN's bread and butter location.

That guy is awful. I can’t stand listening to him. But, I only turn to ESPN for the games. They have become too political.
SAS is angry and awful.
I guess that is his appeal.
I persionally find many of SAS opinions are far away from mine.
He is a shock jock, the Howard Stern of ESPN.

Reactions: trailrunner
Good for him, but ESPN has really been damaged over the years. I have only watched sporting events (mostly with the TV muted) and draft coverage in the past few years. I'm surprised they don't add to their nutjob lineup and hire Bill Walton.
I find Bill Walton entertaining and funny. Much like Charles Barkley. SAS is neither.

ESPN Home Base is New England and NYC.
UCONN is the ESPN home team.
Yep. The Exclusive (red)Sox and Patriots Network.

As for the politics or how much S.A. Smith is paid, I'm sure ESPN has done enough research to know the market value. I watch college football and basketball as well as the occasional MLB game on the ESPN networks but never tune in to the sports talk shows or any coverage of the NBA or NFL. But I'm fully aware a lot of people do. If SAS can get 10 million from them, more power to him.

I find the idea that there is some liberal agenda on a sports network that has any influence on American society kind of laughable. Most people in America avoid political content on TV that differs from their own views - on both sides. That's a big part of our problem in this hyper-partisan country. Too many citizens looking for an echo chamber instead of listening to diverse viewpoints and making their own decisions. When we become so lazy that we allow talking heads to dictate our reality to us, we are deserving of the problems that mindset spawns.

I do find it incredibly disturbing, however, that anyone would support an elected official who views a free press as the enemy of the people. Nothing can be more of a threat to democracy than that mindset.

“Too many looking for an echochamber instead of diverse viewpoints....”

well that sounds like the Archie Apologists Club on this very own forum!!!

Reactions: ufo33
I could care less about ESPN. I will only watch it if a college bbal game is on I want to watch. Other then that I will not watch as I do not need a political lecture and a speech on PC culture when I am watching my sports.
You talking about Doris Burke? I have no problem at all how she calls games. In fact she knows a lot about basketball from what it appears.

Reactions: tbleadoff
High Noon and Highly Questionable are my favorite TV hour other than live games.

They are more humorous than informative or argumentative.
I didnt care for Bomani Jones a while back...but I laugh quite a bit at him now.

“Too many looking for an echochamber instead of diverse viewpoints....”

well that sounds like the Archie Apologists Club on this very own forum!!!
I think you missed the point. Wouldn't you say there are diverse viewpoints here ? If the mods banned everyone who wanted Archie fired (or everyone who didn't) it would be the very definition of an echo chamber. I appreciate that people here are free to disagree and argue their point with those on the other side - even if I happen to think they are wrong.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
I'd also like to props to ESPN baseball. Jessica Mendoza is the best and alone makes watching baseball games fun. She even makes Arod fun from his polarizing days as player. Quiet frankly, he is pretty good as an analyst himself.

Reactions: ufo33
Yep. The Exclusive (red)Sox and Patriots Network.

As for the politics or how much S.A. Smith is paid, I'm sure ESPN has done enough research to know the market value. I watch college football and basketball as well as the occasional MLB game on the ESPN networks but never tune in to the sports talk shows or any coverage of the NBA or NFL. But I'm fully aware a lot of people do. If SAS can get 10 million from them, more power to him.

I find the idea that there is some liberal agenda on a sports network that has any influence on American society kind of laughable. Most people in America avoid political content on TV that differs from their own views - on both sides. That's a big part of our problem in this hyper-partisan country. Too many citizens looking for an echo chamber instead of listening to diverse viewpoints and making their own decisions. When we become so lazy that we allow talking heads to dictate our reality to us, we are deserving of the problems that mindset spawns.

I do find it incredibly disturbing, however, that anyone would support an elected official who views a free press as the enemy of the people. Nothing can be more of a threat to democracy than that mindset.
When the "free press" tries to spin politcally motivated lies as the absolute truth, and then it is later proven absolutely false, then the press deliberately attempting to deceivingly control public opinion through lies and partial quotes taken out of context. And that is the enemy of a free people, when your news is basically a mouthpiece with a propaganda agenda for one particular party, like Pravda in the Soviet Union. A free press should not be tied to promoting the agenda of one political party, then it is a controlled press, and not a free press. I agree that a free press is not an enemy of a free people. But a controlled press is. If the shoe was on the other foot, would everyone feel the same way? The press needs to report the news without injecting political opinion or agenda. Then it is a free press. We do not have a free press.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paterfamilias
I'd also like to props to ESPN baseball. Jessica Mendoza is the best and alone makes watching baseball games fun. She even makes Arod fun from his polarizing days as player. Quiet frankly, he is pretty good as an analyst himself.
ARod is a very good TV baseball analyst. In fact he may be the best. ARod and Harrold Reynolds (no longer at ESPN).

Last edited:
When the "free press" tries to spin politcally motivated lies as the absolute truth, then it is later proven absolutely false, then they are deliberately attempting to control public opinion. And that is the enemy of a free people, when your news is basically a mouthpiece for one particular party, like Pravda in the Soviet Union. A free press should not be tied to promoting agenda of one political party, then it is a controlled press, and not a free press. I agree that a free press is not an enemy of a free people. But a controllled press is. If the shoe was on the other foot, and Obama was president with a majority controlled conservative press telling lies about him, would everyone feel the same way? The press needs to report the news without injecting political opinion or agenda. Then it is a free press. We do not have a free press.

take it to the cooler.

When the "free press" tries to spin politcally motivated lies as the absolute truth, then it is later proven absolutely false, then they are deliberately attempting to control public opinion through lies. And that is the enemy of a free people, when your news is basically a mouthpiece for one particular party, like Pravda in the Soviet Union. A free press should not be tied to promoting the agenda of one political party, then it is a controlled press, and not a free press. I agree that a free press is not an enemy of a free people. But a controllled press is. If the shoe was on the other foot, and Obama was president with a majority controlled conservative press telling lies about him, would everyone feel the same way? The press needs to report the news without injecting political opinion or agenda. Then it is a free press. We do not have a free press.
That's kind of how I feel about Fox News as well so we kind of agree there.;). But I'm glad there are other networks and newspapers to add balance.

I could care less about ESPN. I will only watch it if a college bbal game is on I want to watch. Other then that I will not watch as I do not need a political lecture and a speech on PC culture when I am watching my sports.
how much less could you care? Half? A third less?

Anytime SAS comes on, another channel is selected. Same with Bayless. Probably dislike him the most, going back to that awful show Cold Pizza. I just watch ESPN and FS1 for the games. Anything else is just noise that I don't need waste time on. Who cares how many imaginary points Reali gives Cowlishaw or what Kornheiser has to say about anything sports related?

Reactions: Rakkasan29
That's kind of how I feel about Fox News as well so we kind of agree there.;). But I'm glad there are other networks and newspapers to add balance.
Yes. But why aren't any neutral, just report the facts.

Yes, if there were netral news it would be great. I agree with you. We Both want what is best for America with a different economic model to get there. Peace.

I cant turn the tv fast enough when he comes on...I have to believe a large portion of America feels the same.
Its like they just keep him on air to irritate everyone...theres no way more than 10% of the viewing audience can stand that guy.

Reactions: cryano and ufo33
ESPN Home Base is New England and NYC.
UCONN is the ESPN home team.

i think ESPN will be affiliated with the new ACC network next year. i think i saw it will actually be called ESPN/ACC network. anyone else see that?

I cant turn the tv fast enough when he comes on...I have to believe a large portion of America feels the same.
Its like they just keep him on air to irritate everyone...theres no way more than 10% of the viewing audience can stand that guy.

I can't stand him either, but it's ridiculous to think that ESPN would pay that much money to someone who nobody watches. That's not how it works.

Doris Burke is probably the best female basketball announcer.
tenor.gif

What a monotonous bore...DBurke ruins a game for me.
Whoever the lady announcer that did Ja Morant’s triple double in the tourney - she made that performance almost unwatchable...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT