ADVERTISEMENT

Status of Fresno St. job/program?

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
First, I mean no disrespect DeBoer (who did a superb job this year) or Inge (who seems to be a great guy & strong recruiter).

But based on the last two seasons as Special Teams Coordinator for IU, can anyone think of a P5 school who would have viewed that body of work for a promotion to be their DC??

Clearly he and DeBoer likely hit it off this year and built a good trust/friendship. DeBoer gets to pick his staff and Inge gets an opportunity to be a DC. Good for both.

I feel like Allen gets to avoid a possible tough assessment, demotion, or firing with Inge, and now gets to go find two new coaches who can hopefully help take IU to next level by capitalizing on a strong returning offense (OC) and definitely by improving on the last two years of special teams play, that some might suggest contributed to up to 4-5 tough losses (including Gator Bowl!)

Bottom line: life has a funny way of working out and this FS hire of Inge is what I’d like to call a win/win for all, including IU.

I think Inge's strengths are recruiting and relationships with players. We are heavy in those types on our staff. DeBoer is also bringing in another former DC to his staff. DeBoer let 3 or 4 assistants go already at Fresno.

First, I mean no disrespect DeBoer (who did a superb job this year) or Inge (who seems to be a great guy & strong recruiter).

But based on the last two seasons as Special Teams Coordinator for IU, can anyone think of a P5 school who would have viewed that body of work for a promotion to be their DC??

Clearly he and DeBoer likely hit it off this year and built a good trust/friendship. DeBoer gets to pick his staff and Inge gets an opportunity to be a DC. Good for both.

I feel like Allen gets to avoid a possible tough assessment, demotion, or firing with Inge, and now gets to go find two new coaches who can hopefully help take IU to next level by capitalizing on a strong returning offense (OC) and definitely by improving on the last two years of special teams play, that some might suggest contributed to up to 4-5 tough losses (including Gator Bowl!)

Bottom line: life has a funny way of working out and this FS hire of Inge is what I’d like to call a win/win for all, including IU.

As an IU fan, there is excitement about hopefully filling the two new spots on coaching staff now. Every time one door shuts, another can now open.

While I don’t fully get this hire, I’m excited for the new opportunity for BOTH sides.

Inge's career path was stuck at IU. He had nowhere to go . . . he'd been passed over for the DC role and wasn't qualified for the OC role . . . so he could either tread water as the coordinator for special teams - with a couple of sorry recent performances in the rear view mirror on that - and continue as a recruiting go-to for IU, or jump at the next chance to leave with dignity.

If you're hungry for new opportunities there wasn't much for Inge at IU. Long term, he did the right thing for himself, and for IU. How it works out for DeBoer and Fresno State is yet to be seen.

Interestingly, Inge had a long stay in Bloomington. I'm sure he will look back fondly on much of his time in town. And let's be honest, Inge made more money during his IU ride than most of us make in a lifetime.

Interestingly, Inge had a long stay in Bloomington. I'm sure he will look back fondly on much of his time in town. And let's be honest, Inge made more money during his IU ride than most of us make in a lifetime.

Were all salaries posted? I assumed he was in the $250 - $300K range?

Reactions: vesuvius13
That's a lot for a ST coach. I don't mean to demean the position, but it just seems like a lot. You don't necessarily notice STs until something catastrophic happens, which it did.

I'd like to see Allen take some of that salary and add it to the OC pot and get a really good one.

My two favorites for OC and ST currently make $150,000 and $87,850 respectively..., soooo..., I'm thinking we can probably get them for about triple what they're making and still have plenty to keep the rest of the staff happy with a few tweaks to their bottom lines...

My two favorites for OC and ST currently make $150,000 and $87,850 respectively..., soooo..., I'm thinking we can probably get them for about triple what they're making and still have plenty to keep the rest of the staff happy with a few tweaks to their bottom lines...
Who are your 2 favorites?

Who are your 2 favorites?

Keen (E MI) & Discher (Toledo)

Favorites may be a bit of an overstatement.

Based on the criteria that Tom Allen stated prior to the Bowl (*(he doesn't want to change Offensive systems again)*) Aaron Keen "seems" (to me) to be the best "fit" as the next OC...

Discher I know zip about other than his official bio... Could be completely wrong about him...

Keen (E MI) & Discher (Toledo)

Favorites may be a bit of an overstatement.

Based on the criteria that Tom Allen stated prior to the Bowl (*(he doesn't want to change Offensive systems again)*) Aaron Keen "seems" (to me) to be the best "fit" as the next OC...

Discher I know zip about other than his official bio... Could be completely wrong about him...
Agree on Keen. He seems like the obvious choice, as you noted, based on Allen's criteria.

I would think any MAC coach who is good at Special Teams would welcome a change for a $150,000 - $200,000 job at a P5 team.

I expect more shoes to drop - not based on anything but a feeling.

Agree on Keen. He seems like the obvious choice, as you noted, based on Allen's criteria.

I would think any MAC coach who is good at Special Teams would welcome a change for a $150,000 - $200,000 job at a P5 team.

I expect more shoes to drop - not based on anything but a feeling.

I'm thinking you're probably right (and that's just a hunch (no inside info..., not even anyone's third cousins friends mother);)...

I agree seems like IU could make some staff changes.

what if you let go both CB & Safety coaches for one super top flight DB coach? Ex: What’s guy at LSU make? Think way more than what both Shelby/T combined? But a guy like that (top DB school) May also be able to attract the 4 & 5 star DBs too.

If you had just one DB coach, could perhaps add a LB coach so Womack 100% coordinator. (Though I’d personally rather see a “DeBoer lime hire for the defense and move Womack back to LB myself)

Definitely need a solid Spec Teams Coach. 3-5 losses last two years likely influenced by ST mishaps in games. That’s low hanging fruit.

Tom Allen has been good in my eyes doing look back assessments and being willing to make changes (even with himself). I believe we could see more than just the two openings now, but TBD.

Inge's career path was stuck at IU. He had nowhere to go . . . he'd been passed over for the DC role and wasn't qualified for the OC role . . . so he could either tread water as the coordinator for special teams - with a couple of sorry recent performances in the rear view mirror on that - and continue as a recruiting go-to for IU, or jump at the next chance to leave with dignity.

If you're hungry for new opportunities there wasn't much for Inge at IU. Long term, he did the right thing for himself, and for IU. How it works out for DeBoer and Fresno State is yet to be seen.
Well said. Inge was passed over. Makes sense to me.

I’ll never forget early in Inge tenure here, there was a play near the end of a game where our DB intercepted a ball to preserve a win and Inge was hopping around in joy on the sidelines and Wilson spun him around by the shirt collar and gave him a few harsh words, basically telling him to knock it off.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT