ADVERTISEMENT

Statistical Trends for W/L

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
After doing a bit of digging through box scores, I found a statistical trend that easily identifies wins and losses without looking at the final score. The following data reflects IU's past three wins and past three losses:

W, 68-60 vs. Penn State
- 39 rebounds
- 27 free-throws attempted

L, 89-65 at Michigan
- 21 rebounds
- 12 free-throws attempted

W, 68-56 at Minnesota
- 39 rebounds
- 22 free-throws attempted

L, 74-62 vs. Purdue
- 28 rebounds
- 14 free-throws attempted

W, 89-77 vs. Iowa
- 39 rebounds
- 32 free-throws attempted

L, 68-59 at Ohio State
- 24 rebounds
- 18 free-throw attempted

It's easy to see that if the Hoosiers corral at least 30 rebounds and get to the foul line at least 20 times, a win is highly likely. If they fail to hit those marks, chalk up an L.

After doing a bit of digging through box scores, I found a statistical trend that easily identifies wins and losses without looking at the final score. The following data reflects IU's past three wins and past three losses:

W, 68-60 vs. Penn State
- 39 rebounds

L, 89-65 at Michigan
- 21 rebounds

W, 68-56 at Minnesota
- 39 rebounds

L, 74-62 vs. Purdue
- 28 rebounds

W, 89-77 vs. Iowa
- 39 rebounds

L, 68-59 at Ohio State
- 24 rebounds

It's easy to see that if the Hoosiers corral at least 30 rebounds and get to the foul line at least 20 times, a win is highly likely. If they fail to hit those marks, chalk up an L.

I also think we're like 8-0 when TJD has a double double. Feed him early and often boys!

W, 68-60 vs. Penn State
- 39 rebounds

L, 89-65 at Michigan
- 21 rebounds

W, 68-56 at Minnesota
- 39 rebounds

L, 74-62 vs. Purdue
- 28 rebounds

W, 89-77 vs. Iowa
- 39 rebounds

L, 68-59 at Ohio State
- 24 rebounds

In the wins the opponent shot 10/53 from 3, while in the losses they hit 27/60. Can't rebound made shots.

I hear ya though. I hope we can get a lot of rebounds and shoot a lot of ft's down the stretch.

I also think we're like 8-0 when TJD has a double double. Feed him early and often boys!
In Big Ten play, Trayce Jackson-Davis' numbers break down as follows:

WINS: 17.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg

LOSSES: 9.3 ppg, 5.7 rpg

It's abundantly clear that if the offense goes through him and the team rebounds tenaciously as a unit, wins will follow.

Reactions: kkott
play aggressive on offense, feed TJD and the post, opens up outside looks, draw fouls and get to the line (and make a few please?) . Recipe for success.

And not one mention of deflections.

During our early 2nd half lull vs PSU, the offense was not moving and we didn't score at all. Got to keep moving, get TJD touches and keep moving. If they drop and double team him, someone spots up outside. No dribble dribble until the shot clock is under 5 (Devonte can you hear me??)

Reactions: MrBing and kkott
In the wins the opponent shot 10/53 from 3, while in the losses they hit 27/60. Can't rebound made shots.

I hear ya though. I hope we can get a lot of rebounds and shoot a lot of ft's down the stretch.
I hope we change the way we approach defending Purdue vs. our last game to something resembling the way we defended Iowa. I thought our biggest issue against the Boilers the first game was bringing too much help to the post and then struggling to rotate to shooters. Purdue's guards got lots of clean looks at 3's and even when they missed we were struggling to get into good rebounding position. I would rather see us play Williams and Drago straight up and give up a few to them as opposed to letting their perimeter guys get looks. Giving Garza his points and containing shooters was really effective against the Hawkeyes.

I've been pleased that we have decided in the last few games to show a little flatter on high ball screens which has resulted in less scrambling. I think that's especially beneficial tonight (if we do indeed stat with that course) as Haarms and Williams aren't significant risks to pop and shoot threes. Like others have mentioned, the key on their bigs is to not let them post so deep that they can drop-step and score over us, and draw fouls. We have to bump Williams off the block and not let him get to his left shoulder.

Even if we do all that, it will still be difficult. They are usually very good at home and they are scrambling to get above .500 to make the NIT. Playing so poorly against Michigan will also have them fired up. I'm sure practice has been brutal this week. Hopefully we defend hard and make a few shots. If we don't do both we will struggle to win.

W, 68-60 vs. Penn State
- 39 rebounds

L, 89-65 at Michigan
- 21 rebounds

W, 68-56 at Minnesota
- 39 rebounds

L, 74-62 vs. Purdue
- 28 rebounds

W, 89-77 vs. Iowa
- 39 rebounds

L, 68-59 at Ohio State
- 24 rebounds

It's going to be homecooking there all night long, we have to play our best, better than what it takes to win at home. It is what is and always has been. Of course, for the idiots out there, they will see it as the refs are against us … guess what, they are! You have to play above that on the road in the B10!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT