ADVERTISEMENT

Stating the obvious but...

Al Bino

All-American
Dec 18, 2001
Tuesday is a MUST win, IMO, to keep the goal of the NCAA within reach.

If we would have won the last two at home then Tuesday would not be so important.

I don't see wins at MSU, OSU or PU. HAVE to win the rest of the home games.

Is there any other way to look at it?

Must win imo means that if you do not win there is no chance of making the tournament.

While I agree that the next game is perhaps one of our easiest paths to the tournament but it is not our only and so not a must win.

We have already beat PU and Ohio St. It took an epic collapse by us to lost against Wisconsin. We can beat good teams and I think it is likely we do it at least once more this season. We have 9 games (ish depending on the btt) to win 4. If we lose the next 4 lets start talking about must wins.

Hell go back and look at some of the threads from this season. Some were calling like our 3rd or 4th Big Ten game as must wins. Some of our fan base just really is not very smart. Must win is incredible over used.

Maybe we call it a need to win because it gets harder to get to four wins without it? I don’t know. It is not even close to a must win though.

Must win imo means that if you do not win there is no chance of making the tournament.

While I agree that the next game is perhaps one of our easiest paths to the tournament but it is not our only and so not a must win.

We have already beat PU and Ohio St. It took an epic collapse by us to lost against Wisconsin. We can beat good teams and I think it is likely we do it at least once more this season. We have 9 games (ish depending on the btt) to win 4. If we lose the next 4 lets start talking about must wins.

Hell go back and look at some of the threads from this season. Some were calling like our 3rd or 4th Big Ten game as must wins. Some of our fan base just really is not very smart. Must win is incredible over used.

Maybe we call it a need to win because it gets harder to get to four wins without it? I don’t know. It is not even close to a must win though.

I see what you mean but as much as this team has shown it can play with anyone, it has also shown that it can play down and get beat by almost anyone in the BT.

As you stated, the next game is one of the easiest paths to the NCAA. Lose that one and all hope is not lost BUT the pressure starts to build with every loss.

Let's just say then, that the next game is in the BETTER win it category!

I see what you mean but as much as this team has shown it can play with anyone, it has also shown that it can play down and get beat by almost anyone in the BT.

As you stated, the next game is one of the easiest paths to the NCAA. Lose that one and all hope is not lost BUT the pressure starts to build with every loss.

Agree. We certainly don’t want to lose this one. I am holding out hope that we win 5 or 6 more games though.

I refrain from saying must win, but some games feel that way because the way recent seasons have tanked

Reactions: Al Bino and ulrey

Right. It isn't mathematically a must win but given how tough the others will be...let's just win this one.

Reactions: Al Bino
10 wins in the conference plus a win Thursday in the BTT puts IU in. Eleven puts IU in regardless of what happens in the BTT.

Maryland at AH is an obvious. Minnesota at The Barn is usually a tough out but they aren't a good team and The Barn is half empty this year. Rutgers is in the same boat as IU. They will need that game in Bloomington. They are tough at home and not very strong on the road. Purdue, MSU, OSU, and Wisky at AH will be tough.

With that written, Northwestern (in my opinion) is the easiest game other than Maryland and Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT