ADVERTISEMENT

stat of the day: points allowed

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
Indiana was right on cue against Seton Hall giving up their average of 84 ppg. IU is 289th in the nation in points allowed on defense after 3 games played.

Indiana was right on cue against Seton Hall giving up their average of 84 ppg. IU is 289th in the nation in points allowed on defense after 3 games played.
Teams are really drilling 3 pt shots against us. Even we’ll challenged shots going down with frequency. I wondered why, and it partly seems that we are often closing without our hands up and ready to challenge. But even on good close outs and tough challenges we are getting crisped from beyond the arc. That and turnovers are killing us.

How do we rank in turnovers?

Teams are really drilling 3 pt shots against us. Even we’ll challenged shots going down with frequency. I wondered why, and it partly seems that we are often closing without our hands up and ready to challenge. But even on good close outs and tough challenges we are getting crisped from beyond the arc. That and turnovers are killing us.
Turnovers and poor 3 point defense was a problem in recent years and it appears it won't be corrected immediately. We just need to be patient.

It's like our defense is such a mess it puts other teams in rhythm. Maybe a steady zone would be better.

It's like our defense is such a mess it puts other teams in rhythm. Maybe a steady zone would be better.
It's the inability to play sustained good play. As players get tired or frustrated they revert to habits they have formed, whether good or bad. This is pointedly seen in the upperclassmen who were practicing the old habits longer. RJ reverted to what works for him, but also went back the the high dribble, one handed pass, and poor closeouts.

Newkirk is totally lost right now. The foul on the 3 pt. Shot was bad. He and RJ are having to think through everything they do, which makes them slow to react, or revert to old habits.

I still feel we need them to be the best IU can be, but it will be harder for them. The next 4 games will be important to build Archie's system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT