ADVERTISEMENT

Stat of the day (3): March 21, 2008

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
In a win over the Stanford Cardinal today Indiana played its first game without a Tom Crean recruited player since Eric Gordon and DJ White lost to Arkansas on March 21, 2008. It has been quite a while. Get well soon Aljami.

In a win over the Stanford Cardinal today Indiana played its first game without a Tom Crean recruited player since Eric Gordon and DJ White lost to Arkansas on March 21, 2008. It has been quite a while. Get well soon Aljami.
I thought Crean also recruited Race . . . and Archie re-recruited him and Al to stay in the class, then red-shirted Race while Al played his freshman year.

I thought Crean also recruited Race . . . and Archie re-recruited him and Al to stay in the class, then red-shirted Race while Al played his freshman year.
I don't think so. You're thinking of Justin Smith.
Pretty sure that Race is Archie's recruit.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I don't think so. You're thinking of Justin Smith.
Pretty sure that Race is Archie's recruit.
You might be right . . . 247 has his commitment in July, 2017 while Smith was a Sept 2016 commit. Durham was a 2015 commit . . . .

Reactions: Brockway
I believe Race was recruited by Crean and persuaded to forego his senior year in high school and redshirt at Indiana (2016-2017). He played as a redshirt freshman (2017-2018). He was injured and received a medical year (1018-2019). He was again injured but played well as a redshirt sophomore at the end of 2019-2020. He is playing this year as a redshirt junior.

I believe Race was recruited by Crean and persuaded to forego his senior year in high school and redshirt at Indiana (2016-2017). He played as a redshirt freshman (2017-2018). He was injured and received a medical year (1018-2019). He was again injured but played well as a redshirt sophomore at the end of 2019-2020. He is playing this year as a redshirt junior.
Crean was not involved

"Thompson arrived in Bloomington in the summer of 2017 after reclassifying from the class of 2018. He was Archie Miller’s first recruit to arrive in Bloomington and was joined in the 2017 class by Al Durham Jr., Justin Smith and Clifton Moore, who were all recruited by Tom Crean."
Clifton Moore . . .

*sigh*

"The Plymouth, Minn. based Miller recruit arrived in Bloomington in 2017 along with Tom Crean recruit Al Durham. Thompson and Durham are the lone holdovers from Miller’s first Indiana team."

Reactions: Brockway
"
Tomas J. Russo-USA TODAY Sports
Race Thompson, a 6-8 forward from Minneapolis, Minnesota announced his commitment to the Hoosiers via Twitter on July 16th. Thompson intends to reclassify from the class of 2018 to 2017 and will enroll starting this fall.
Thompson becomes the first recruit to commit to Indiana under new head coach Archie Miller. Keep in mind that this is not counting the three signees Miller conceived to stay with the program following Tom Crean’s departure from Indiana.

Thompson visited IU in June and had for some time been considered a top frontcourt target for Miller and his staff in 2018. The four-star recruit also had offers from Minnesota, Iowa State, Arizona State, Michigan, Baylor and others. He is ranked No. 86 on 247Sports recruiting and is ranked as the top power forward in Minnesota and fourth at his position in the Midwest region."

My timeline was off a year:
1017-2018 Freshman (redshirt year)
2018-2019 Redshirt freshman
2019-2020 Redshirt sophomore
2020-20-21 Redshirt junior

Race was recruited in 2016-2017. Tom Crean was IU's coach.
Race is an Archie guy, recruited by Ostrom.
He reclassified and was added to the class that was already there, but needed to be "recommitted" after the coaching change. No Crean involvement.

Reactions: Spartans9312
All I can say is don't believe what you read. Here is Race's biography from the IU basketball web page.
https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/race-thompson/15066

Race was on the team in 2017-2018 as a redshirt. He was recruited by Tom Crean during the 2016-2017 season. I distinctly recall watching an interview with Tom Crean in which Crean praised Race for trusting IU, foregoing his senior year in HS and redshirting a year at IU.

I simply don't remember whether CAM had to re-recruit Race after the coaching change occurred.

He was recruited by Tom Crean during the 2016-2017 season. I distinctly recall watching an interview with Tom Crean in which Crean praised Race for trusting IU, foregoing his senior year in HS and redshirting a year at IU.

You.Are.Wrong.Fred. Pay special attention to the 3rd & 5th paragraphs...

The long-standing question of what Archie Miller would do with IU’s last open scholarship has finally been answered.

2018 4-star forward Race Thompson of Minneapolis, Minnesota, a priority recruit for the basketball programs at Indiana University and the University of Minnesota, stunned the college basketball world today by announcing that not only has he chosen the Hoosiers over his home state Gophers, but that he will reclassify from 2018 to 2017 and arrive in Bloomington in time to redshirt this fall.

The #71-ranked recruit in Scout.com’s Top 200 for 2018, Thompson’s father Darrell was a Minnesota football star who encouraged his son to stay open during the recruiting process and not pick the Gophers just to make his family happy. Coach Miller had been recruiting Thompson’s friend, Colorado commit McKinley Wright, during his time at Dayton; when Miller and his staff arrived in Bloomington, they immediately began making Thompson a priority, thanks in no small part to Wright’s endorsement.

The 6’8″, 200-pound Thompson has a skill set that fits incredibly well in modern basketball, as his outside shooting and ball-handling skills combine with his long frame to give him the potential to become the prototype of a modern stretch four. With a game that’s very similar to players like Ryan Anderson, Dario Saric, or T.J. Leaf, Thompson will need time to develop his strength to avoid getting outmatched down low–something he himself is very aware of–and a task new IU strength coach Cliff Marshall appears to be very ready for.

This announcement is a huge development for IU basketball for a long list of reasons. IU fans no longer have to wonder about the open scholarship created by Grant Gelon’s departure. Archie Miller finally has his first IU recruit that Tom Crean’s staff didn’t do the groundwork on, and it’s a nationally-ranked player. IU has stolen a prized recruit from an up-and-coming Big Ten rival. And 5-star 2019 forward Matthew Hurt, whom IU was already recruiting, is a close friend and high school teammate of Thompson.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Are these two things mutually exclusive?

I honestly don't recall the actual set of events but is it likely that crean had indeed recruited Race and had not closed him but AM did? Many anticipated that crean would be gone a year earlier and would have been had the BOT not stopped Glass.

Did Archie just come in and close?

Are these two things mutually exclusive?

I honestly don't recall the actual set of events but is it likely that crean had indeed recruited Race and had not closed him but AM did? Many anticipated that crean would be gone a year earlier and would have been had the BOT not stopped Glass.

Did Archie just come in and close?
q

All I can say is don't believe what you read. Here is Race's biography from the IU basketball web page.
https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/race-thompson/15066

Race was on the team in 2017-2018 as a redshirt. He was recruited by Tom Crean during the 2016-2017 season. I distinctly recall watching an interview with Tom Crean in which Crean praised Race for trusting IU, foregoing his senior year in HS and redshirting a year at IU.

I simply don't remember whether CAM had to re-recruit Race after the coaching change occurred.
I think you're misremembering this. He didn't get an IU offer until May '17 and didn't commit until July.

Is Lucy & runninrichmond the same poster? They have posting similarities and like each other an awful lot. Hmmmw
no it is I, 2008 presidential candidate mayor McCheese

Reactions: birdforbogey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT