ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Question(-s)

JHS, Reneau, Banks, Gunn - I’d say that is good recruiting!
Yeah, I'm not as worried about recruiting, as he's gotten good guys, at least from rankings, and while next years class is thin, I like both guys we got and the guys we've missed on for the most part weren't high percentage options anyway, vs guys in our recruiting base. The closer the prospect is to IN the better our chances, is how I feel and what I'm referencing. He's pulled in a high level player in the spring each of his first two years and if he were to do that this year, or get a strong portal player or 2, that changes the outlook for this next class greatly and you can bet, they're going to be aggressive in the spring.

Reactions: mk30
Yeah, I'm not as worried about recruiting, as he's gotten good guys, at least from rankings, and while next years class is thin, I like both guys we got and the guys we've missed on for the most part weren't high percentage options anyway, vs guys in our recruiting base. The closer the prospect is to IN the better our chances, is how I feel and what I'm referencing. He's pulled in a high level player in the spring each of his first two years and if he were to do that this year, or get a strong portal player or 2, that changes the outlook for this next class greatly and you can bet, they're going to be aggressive in the spring.
I expect 3-5 additions in the spring between portal and hs recruits

Reactions: kkott
I am amazed at the coaching knowledge and experience here on this board. Just keep it up and eventually you’ll get rid of Woodson and then maybe you’ll get a chance at his job. We know you’ll do so much better job.
And yes, Fife did deserve to get fired. If he disagreed with his boss to the extent he did, he should have resigned.
great post!

Speaking from experience, sometimes it’s better to hire people who have the right attitude and talent, but don’t have experience or set ways and habits that you have to break.

This team is dramatically better than the team we had a year ago, minus Dane Fife and minus Thad Matta (who has major problems at Butler).

Reactions: TomEric4756
I suspect the ministry of information is posting here. I have to assume that it’s folks that work for the IU athletic department. People can’t get triggered that easily. They have to work for IU. No one is that thin skinned about criticism of IU basketball .
I’ve wondered that since I joined last year

Woody also kept both because the recruits and players had a relationship built with them. It’s not like they are complete chopped liver. I’ll reserve judgment on this staff after year 4 like I always do but for people to start killing them after a win is ridiculous. Ya explained his substitution and patterns and it pretty much what I saw. Did anyone think that it’s hard to scout kids that don’t play? Minnesota used the kitchen sink and guys stepped up. That was a hard game.
Yes, the Gophers brought it on their home court which has a reputation to be a hard place to shoot. IU didn’t wilt when the going got tough. How about we give Rosemond and the team some credit for that?

Reactions: Crusty The Baker
I posted this in another thread. And originally it was tongue in cheek. But man, the more I think of it…he should go find some 60 plus year old NAIA/D3 coach that’s won 600+ games in 25+ years…including lots of recent success…and get him as a Phil Martelli type assistant.

The value a guy like that would bring in the huddle, in film sessions, scouts…

I get the sense Woody isn’t secure enough to go looking to hire guys that cover his weaknesses though. Could be wrong obviously.
I assume he is more stubborn than insecure. He’s old and is going to do it his way, the short time he is the coach.

Ok, crazy questions: who’s Texas’s coach now? Just watched the end of Texas v Baylor. Still have no idea who took over for Beard. But the better question is: who would take over at IU if something completely unfortunate, unforeseen, weird as hell happened?

Last edited:
Ok, crazy questions: who’s Texas’s coach now? Just watched the end of Texas v Baylor. Still have no idea who took over for Beard. But the better question is: who would take over at IU if - God Forbid - had something unfortunate, unforeseen happen?
Dakich?

• Haha
Yes, the Gophers brought it on their home court which has a reputation to be a hard place to shoot. IU didn’t wilt when the going got tough. How about we give Rosemond and the team some credit for that?
Certainly we’re thing that raised eyebrows and people rightfully questioned performance. But a win is a win and I will take them all regardless of how we get there.

These posts are stupid. I mean wtf? Did knight(many on here love to compare him with everyone) have experienced in game coaches? Did he seek to hire old washed up “experienced” coaches? Hell no. Most go after ex players that have worked their way up. Hell Crean and Izzo weren’t even basketball players. Woody can hire and fire anyone that he sees fit. The boss is the boss is the boss.
Ron Felling coached for 25 years! Lol

Seriously WTF is wrong with you? You are correct as your only job is being a complete asshole to everyone on here. We are for the same team . Micropenis perhaps? Sounds like you are trying to make up for some sort of problem in your life.
RTT is as thin-skinned as they come, but you know there's an ignore button, right? I think it would make your posting more enjoyable. He does post some good links though, so you'd be missing out on that, but if you can't bring yourself to ignore his posts, try the button.

JHS, Reneau, Banks, Gunn - I’d say that is good recruiting!
Let's not exclude Newton and Cupps either! Not a star-studded class, but I think both could be very solid and if CMW pulls in a spring signing or 2, could still be a solid class overall. Who would've thought PU's freshmen class this year would help propel them to #1 and top of the B10. I'm excited about both those guys.

Reactions: baileyiu
Let's not exclude Newton and Cupps either! Not a star-studded class, but I think both could be very solid and if CMW pulls in a spring signing or 2, could still be a solid class overall. Who would've thought PU's freshmen class this year would help propel them to #1 and top of the B10. I'm excited about both those guys.
A lot is going to depend on who comes back, obviously.

I could easily see Cupps starting at PG from day 1 though.

And I think this offseason Woody might have to be more active in the transfer portal world.

Reactions: kkott
A lot is going to depend on who comes back, obviously.

I could easily see Cupps starting at PG from day 1 though.

And I think this offseason Woody might have to be more active in the transfer portal world.
Well, assuming JHS and XJ (does he have a 5th year?) are gone, he'd almost be the leading candidate in my mind, which is a big ask for a freshman. You'd think a starting spot at IU with the NIL opps would be very appealing to portal transfers but we've not had much luck so far there. Wonder what Kopps NIL deals look like, especially compared to a starter at NW. Cav, any thoughts there?

A very successful HS coach for well over a decade.
Feeling coached at Lawrenceville HS in IL. At that time we had an antennae for TV,& most of our TV stations were in IL so watched a lot of Illinois high school state tournaments. Last 2 years Felling coahed at Lawrenceville his team was undefeated & won the state title. IIRC, Illinois was a 2 class system in basketball & they were Class A. IF memory serves me correct Fellings teams won the state title 4x in 11 yrs. Guy could coach.

When Felling came to IU he followed one his players. Thinking it was Marty Simmons but may be wrong on that.

Last edited:
Feeling coached at Lawrenceville HS in IL. At that time we had an antennae for TV,& most of our TV stations were in IL so watched a lot of Illinois high school state tournaments. Last 2 years Felling coahed at Lawrenceville his team was undefeated & won the state title. IIRC, Illinois was a 2 class system in basketball & they were Class A. IF memory serves me correct Fellings teams won the state title 4x in 11 yrs. Guy could coach.

When Felling came to IU he followed one his players. Thinking it was Marty Simmons but may be wrong on that.
You are correct

ADVERTISEMENT