ADVERTISEMENT

Sr/Jr All Star Game Box Score thoughts.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I didn’t see the game. So I’m just going off the Box Score here. A few things really stand out.

Nijel Pack was the game leader in scoring AND REBOUNDING. Yes. A PG. Over TJD. He was 4-6 from downtown. This is a kid we might need to be paying attention to.

Jalen Windham was 4-7 from 3 and had a good stat-line. I still think we missed the boat here. This kid makes shots and he’s long.

Jaden Ivey, Brandon Newman, and Isaiah Thompson each made 3 treys a piece. Painter continues to bring in Indiana kids who can stroke it.

Franklin didn’t shoot well. 6-14 and 1-4. But he did have 6 assists and 5 boards.

TJD had 16 and 5. Not a bad stat-line. But him not getting a double-double is a huge disappointment.

Galloway and Leal didn’t seem to be huge factors. Leal had 7 pts and 5 assists. Galloway had 13 pts. Neither guy shot it particularly well.

I didn’t see the game. So I’m just going off the Box Score here. A few things really stand out.

Nijel Pack was the game leader in scoring AND REBOUNDING. Yes. A PG. Over TJD. He was 4-6 from downtown. This is a kid we might need to be paying attention to.

Jalen Windham was 4-7 from 3 and had a good stat-line. I still think we missed the boat here. This kid makes shots and he’s long.

Jaden Ivey, Brandon Newman, and Isaiah Thompson each made 3 treys a piece. Painter continues to bring in Indiana kids who can stroke it.

Franklin didn’t shoot well. 6-14 and 1-4. But he did have 6 assists and 5 boards.

TJD had 16 and 5. Not a bad stat-line. But him not getting a double-double is a huge disappointment.

Galloway and Leal didn’t seem to be huge factors. Leal had 7 pts and 5 assists. Galloway had 13 pts. Neither guy shot it particularly well.
I would have liked to see TJD have a double-double but I think he would have had to play a LOT of minutes to do so and I have no idea how many minutes he played.

I went to the game here are some of my thoughts. First off for the IU recruits/Targets. I believe that TJD will be a solid/consistent contributor next year. He always looks to be under control, and is crafty around the basket. I do believe he will get pushed around a little bit against 22 year old men, but he knows this going in and will work to close that gap.
Franklin- got off to a slow start, but picked up in the 2nd half. Some kids flashed at times, but Over the course of the full game, it was easy to tell he was one of the better players on the floor.
Leal- didn’t force anything which is why he didn’t show much in the box score, but made good decisions and got to the rim a few times. I don’t think an all star game is the best time for him to showcase his talents. He was a bit more athletic than anticipated in the layup/dunk pre-game line. Can definitely see his overall talent.
Galloway- shot the ball well and also a bit more athletic than anticipated. Very smart basketball player, and always looked to set up guys, whether it was an assist or hockey assist. Really hope IU lands him.

As for the others, I was impressed by Majek (7 ft center from HSE). He has a ways to go, but he definitely flashed some ability. I know Newman is solid, but I was not impressed by the Purdue kids.

I am a bit surprised that Pack was the leader in both, but he did play a lot, and 3 pointers were flying almost every time down the floor in the 2nd half which leads to long rebounds. He is definitely one of the most talented kids on the floor, but I would question his basketball IQ which could be the reason he lacks a lot of top level offers. Someone will get a steal though.

Thanks for the info guys.

A couple things:

TJD will have to score for IU and may need to be able to score with his back to the basket and the shot clock winding down. But still, I think 10-12ppg will be all that is needed. He doesn't need to be Morgan.

Franklin, as I recall, was the star on the court for the juniors last year.

Galloway, I can already tell this kid is a scorer and so far from what I've seen, he reminds me of Knight's guys. I think he would fit well at IU.

Leal, I'd like to see IU sign him.

Reactions: Sassy61
Went to the game, since it was here in New Castle and 3 NC Trojans were on the senior squads.

Echo what was said before about TJD and Armaan. Both will need to get stronger, of course, but look to be ready to contribute as a freshman. Neither will be a superstar next year, nor should that be expected.

Pretty good battle between Franklin and Galloway on the floor early; Trey’s defense had a lot to do with Armaan’s slow start.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Leal is s LOT more athletic than given credit for. Would be very hard to tell him and Trey apart if their hair was styled exactly the same; almost identical in height/build. Leal and Galloway played very well off each other, easy to see they are good friends and AAU teammates. Would LOVE to see both those kids commit to IU.

Stats for Pack are a bit misleading IMHO. Most of time when he was on floor was when the senior starters (including TJD) were getting a blow. Still not a bad player, but think IU has better options.

Dawand Jones was the most entertaining guy for me the whole night. That dude is HUGE!! Moves well for his size, too. Have several post up one-hand dunks (we were laughing about his Charles Barkley 1-1/2” vertical jump :D ). Will be a definite pro offensive lineman in the NFL one day.

Besides Newman (who didn’t shine anymore than TJD/Armaan) none of the Purdue kids were anything noteworthy.

Wouldn't look too much into an all-star game box score. Not much defense played and there were 70 3 point attempts between the 2 teams. Explains why guards like Pack, Newman, and Franklin grabbed so many rebounds, most of them off long misses.

Any all star game should be taken into account.
Hell Cody only had ten in the McDonald's game.And kinda looked bad guarding Anthony Davis..
I'll say it till he isnt allowed to play.
Jerome Hunter is a whole lot better than any recruit Purdue's had the last two year's.
Sure hopeing he gets cleared.
Go Hoosiers !

Reactions: Sassy61
Went to the game, since it was here in New Castle and 3 NC Trojans were on the senior squads.

Echo what was said before about TJD and Armaan. Both will need to get stronger, of course, but look to be ready to contribute as a freshman. Neither will be a superstar next year, nor should that be expected.

Pretty good battle between Franklin and Galloway on the floor early; Trey’s defense had a lot to do with Armaan’s slow start.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Leal is s LOT more athletic than given credit for. Would be very hard to tell him and Trey apart if their hair was styled exactly the same; almost identical in height/build. Leal and Galloway played very well off each other, easy to see they are good friends and AAU teammates. Would LOVE to see both those kids commit to IU.

Stats for Pack are a bit misleading IMHO. Most of time when he was on floor was when the senior starters (including TJD) were getting a blow. Still not a bad player, but think IU has better options.

Dawand Jones was the most entertaining guy for me the whole night. That dude is HUGE!! Moves well for his size, too. Have several post up one-hand dunks (we were laughing about his Charles Barkley 1-1/2” vertical jump :D ). Will be a definite pro offensive lineman in the NFL one day.

Besides Newman (who didn’t shine anymore than TJD/Armaan) none of the Purdue kids were anything noteworthy.
I don’t know where you guys got your information, but Barkley had a 37” vertical jump. Pretty impressive for a guy who weighed 280 lbs, let alone most athletes. He was a helicopter on the court.

Have to challenge your Barkley comment. He was a stud athlete. How else do you think he dominated the PF position at 6’5”? Don’t know exactly what his vertical was, but he ran, rebounded, and dunked over anyone.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
I had a room next to him at the student union when the Olympic trials were held in 1984. A group of us got three rooms in a lottery for that weekend and we drove out from Pittsburgh and did not arrive until about 1 AM. We were the only people on the second floor not trying out for the Olympic basketball team. I don’t know how much Charles Barkley weighed but he was much more than 280 pounds. He was gigantic and much bigger than anybody else out there. It was the weekend of the Little 500 and the John Mellencamp Pink Houses concert at the football stadium. It was a great time. The only negative was that we had to show our IDs every time we wanted to get onto the floor and we could have any guests in our rooms.

I had a room next to him at the student union when the Olympic trials were held in 1984. A group of us got three rooms in a lottery for that weekend and we drove out from Pittsburgh and did not arrive until about 1 AM. We were the only people on the second floor not trying out for the Olympic basketball team. I don’t know how much Charles Barkley weighed but he was much more than 280 pounds. He was gigantic and much bigger than anybody else out there. It was the weekend of the Little 500 and the John Mellencamp Pink Houses concert at the football stadium. It was a great time. The only negative was that we had to show our IDs every time we wanted to get onto the floor and we could have any guests in our rooms.
He weighed 300+ while in college.

I don’t know where you guys got your information, but Barkley had a 37” vertical jump. Pretty impressive for a guy who weighed 280 lbs, let alone most athletes. He was a helicopter on the court.

Have to challenge your Barkley comment. He was a stud athlete. How else do you think he dominated the PF position at 6’5”? Don’t know exactly what his vertical was, but he ran, rebounded, and dunked over anyone.

Not Barkley's vertical jump, guys.

Charles did a Nike commercial a longtime ago (was trying to find it on YouTube without success) where he told a chubby black kid to "show 'em your vertical" - and the kid jumped maybe 2" off the ground.

THAT'S what I was referring to.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

I once played against a guy from the Angola (Africa) National team whom Barkley guarded when the Dream Team levied it's just due on the world. The guy had 5 dunks on me in one game, and that is the only time in my life anyone dunked on me more than once. That makes me look bad, yes, but I have been guarded by players who were 1st team all american and even one NBA all-star, and none did what that cat from Angola did. He was like Hanner long before Hanner. So anyway, I hold Barkley in rather high esteem, and I openly say that Zion reminds me of if Barkley and Dominique had a baby.

I went to the game here are some of my thoughts. First off for the IU recruits/Targets. I believe that TJD will be a solid/consistent contributor next year. He always looks to be under control, and is crafty around the basket. I do believe he will get pushed around a little bit against 22 year old men, but he knows this going in and will work to close that gap.
Franklin- got off to a slow start, but picked up in the 2nd half. Some kids flashed at times, but Over the course of the full game, it was easy to tell he was one of the better players on the floor.
Leal- didn’t force anything which is why he didn’t show much in the box score, but made good decisions and got to the rim a few times. I don’t think an all star game is the best time for him to showcase his talents. He was a bit more athletic than anticipated in the layup/dunk pre-game line. Can definitely see his overall talent.
Galloway- shot the ball well and also a bit more athletic than anticipated. Very smart basketball player, and always looked to set up guys, whether it was an assist or hockey assist. Really hope IU lands him.

As for the others, I was impressed by Majek (7 ft center from HSE). He has a ways to go, but he definitely flashed some ability. I know Newman is solid, but I was not impressed by the Purdue kids.

"I know Newman is solid but I was not impressed by the Purdue kids". LOL! if they were IU recruits you would be saying how awesome they were. Take the crimson glasses off. They played well, played well again tonight vs. KY.... I wouldn't let someone pass on the Purdue board saying "I wasn't impressed with TJD"......either you don't know anything about basketball or homerism has run amok.

"I know Newman is solid but I was not impressed by the Purdue kids". LOL! if they were IU recruits you would be saying how awesome they were. Take the crimson glasses off. They played well, played well again tonight vs. KY.... I wouldn't let someone pass on the Purdue board saying "I wasn't impressed with TJD"......either you don't know anything about basketball or homerism has run amok.
Actually no. If they impressed me, I would have said it. I have zero problem acknowledging when kids played well. You literally have no idea what your talking about. None. How embarrassing it must be to have to come here to attention like you do. I bet your sex life is something else.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

Let’s be real. TJD, Franklin, Newman, and Thompson are all really good players that will have a lot of success in college. I might dislike Purdue, but you guys bring in good players every year. It is what it is.

Actually no. If they impressed me, I would have said it. I have zero problem acknowledging when kids played well. You literally have no idea what your talking about. None. How embarrassing it must be to have to come here to attention like you do. I bet your sex life is something else.

Then what was your opinion of them last night?

Love that you guys are still here seeking validation/approval...hilarious & pathetic.
200.gif

Love that you guys are still here seeking validation/approval...hilarious & pathetic.

Just calling BS not seeking approval. 3 of the 4 kids in our two classes who played last night looked special and the other one looked pretty good.

Your mommy & daddy should be ashamed of themselves for not showing you more love & approval as a child...

He’s allowed his opinion. Especially when it comes to negative opinion on Purdoo. Get lost

Were you at New Castle Wednesday night? No?

Then STFU.

@wchew200 was there. I was there. We SAW firsthand how kids performed. And, no, the Purdue recruits/commitments were nothing special.

Don’t like that assessment? Go back to UBI - Urine & Black Illustrated

Rivals commenting on the other's recruits performance in an all star game...

Sounds like an objective conversation.

If "tonight" in your post was Saturday night at Bankers Life, then Isaiah Thompson, Jalen Wyndham and Jackson-Davis were the most impressive of both teams. Newman played hard but wasn't as good as those three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT