ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Review

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Finally reviewed my taped (dvR'd) version of it and saw much of what I expected...

Looked like less than 1,000 in the stands. No surprise there on a Friday evening with no real promotion...

The good news is that BTN did a nice job even with only one camera. J Leman (former All Big Ten LB) was interested and engaged and did a fine job along with his 2 cohorts.

Tom Allen seemed to be having a good time and appeared to be happy with his new D.C.

The game itself was exactly as billed: extremely vanilla, with a few more downfield shots than usual.

The new OC didn't appear very happy at times (which to me was a good thing [that means he expects better])...

Personally, as a big Peyton Ramsey at QB guy, I was disappointed by what I thought were his deep balls looking worse than last fall..., but..., not having been there live, I'm hoping that was due to gusting winds (supposedly up to 22mph), I have no idea if that was the case or his arm strength has plateaued...

Two young guys who stood out were #30 Jordan Jusvitch in the Defensive secondary and #28 Kristian Pechac on Offense at RB. Both played well, which will hopefully translate into some significant playmaking PT this fall...

Looked like a beautiful evening which, if it had been on Saturday, could have been turned into something special with some serious promotion.

I'm hoping our new OC can push all the QBs. I didn't see anything that gave me much confidence in that area...(even with Penix [he still looks a full year away to me, hope he proves me Very wrong]... Maybe Tuttle will learn the Offense and save the day...

Summer (Player Led) Drills will make or break this season... (in my opinion)

I think we have enough talent in the top 30 guys to be competitive and to win the big games but it looks like it will simply come down to how much They want it...

We'll see...

Last edited:
Perhaps we should not expect much from the Spring game and maybe we should congratulate Coach Allen for mastering wise ways. After all, Sun Tzu told us: "Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate."

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I saw solid play on both sides of the field. The offense was encouraging despite missing half or more of the starters. Defense showed they will be fast and physical this season. The DL played very well for the way the game was set up yet they were missing Stallings that could be a major part of the group.

The team looked solid despite so many starters sitting out of the game.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
I saw solid play on both sides of the field. The offense was encouraging despite missing half or more of the starters. Defense showed they will be fast and physical this season. The DL played very well for the way the game was set up yet they were missing Stallings that could be a major part of the group.

The team looked solid despite so many starters sitting out of the game.

Hopefully, that means we're building quality depth.

It would be great to be able to rotate the 1'& 2's out,more than occasionally, with the 3's and 4's; while having the 2nd group gain valuable experience and saving the wear and tear on the 1's&2's so they'll still be relatively healthy late in the season (something we rarely see)..,

Reactions: ESalum86
Finally reviewed my taped (dvR'd) version of it and saw much of what I expected...

Looked like less than 1,000 in the stands. No surprise there on a Friday evening with no real promotion...

The good news is that BTN did a nice job even with only one camera. J Leman (former All Big Ten LB) was interested and engaged and did a fine job along with his 2 cohorts.

Tom Allen seemed to be having a good time and appeared to be happy with his new D.C.

The game itself was exactly as billed: extremely vanilla, with a few more downfield shots than usual.

The new OC didn't appear very happy at times (which to me was a good thing [that means he expects better])...

Personally, as a big Peyton Ramsey at QB guy, I was disappointed by what I thought were his deep balls looking worse than last fall..., but..., not having been there live, I'm hoping that was due to gusting winds (supposedly up to 22mph), I have no idea if that was the case or his arm strength has plateaued...

Two young guys who stood out were #30 Jordan Jusvitch in the Defensive secondary and #28 Kristian Pechac on Offense at RB. Both played well, which will hopefully translate into some significant playmaking PT this fall...

Looked like a beautiful evening which, if it had been on Saturday, could have been turned into something special with some serious promotion.

I'm hoping our new OC can push all the QBs. I didn't see anything that gave me much confidence in that area...(even with Penix [he still looks a full year away to me, hope he proves me Very wrong]... Maybe Tuttle will learn the Offense and save the day...

Summer (Player Led) Drills will make or break this season... (in my opinion)

I think we have enough talent in the top 30 guys to be competitive and to win the big games but it looks like it will simply come down to how much They want it...

We'll see...
This is the time of year I can get too excited about the team. Ramsey didn't do anything that made me get too excited. Seeing Penix on the field was promising. Ramsey looked much the same as last year. Few mid range attempts or completions. Maybe that was by design? We didn't see Tuttle, so we will have to wait to see if he can get on the field ahead of Penix and Ramsey. I don't see us breaking out if Ramsey is still our QB in week 3. We are a 5-7 team with Ramsey. We might be 5-7 with the other two QBs, but I would feel a better chance to win an extra game if someone has beaten out last years starter.

If there is an area I feel better about, it is the defense. I set my expectations low for this year, but I think they will be better than I initially thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT