ADVERTISEMENT

Spike Albrecht to Purdue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see you being objective when it comes to Purdue. I hate them as much as anyone but their starting front court will be as good as ours will be. Edwards, Swanigan and Haas will be as good if not better than Bryant, OG and Hartman if that is our starting front court.

Both front courts will be good. Edwards and Hartman will both be solid. Swanigan will be a good rebounder as he was last year but he's not especially strong on offense and defense. Bryant will be good on both ends, especially offense, but foul trouble will continue to be a worry. Although I expect Davis will be more than a capable backup. OG is the wildcard. If he can replicate his production at the end of the year in expanded minutes that will be a huge boost for IU. Same for Haas. If he can stay on the court for 30 minutes per game and produce the same per minute numbers as last year he may be 1st team all B1G. The difference between the two teams will be the backcourt, where IU has an advantage.

Not that IUs backcourt will be perfect right off the bat. Rojo needs to cut down on his turnovers and JBJ needs to learn to play at least passable defense. Cujo also has to be able to take care of the ball when he's in the game. I don't want to lean on Newkirk too much if we can avoid it. He wasn't that polished at Pitt. Although he has had a year already with Crean and has practiced against yogi so maybe we'll see an improved Newkirk.

IMO we SHOULD be talking about Wisconsin and MSU. They're who IU will be battling for the B1G title. I'm not as sold on MSU because they'll be depending so much on freshmen. Although there is the Izzo factor that you can't ignore. By the middle of B1G season there's a high likelihood he'll have their team firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: SNU0821
Their front court was better than ours last year. How did that work out for them?

Their front court is going to be good. It's my opinion that Hammons and Davis were the anchors on defense. They're gone. Hammons bailed them out a ton on defense by being able to block or alter tons of shots. Haas isn't the same influence on defense. I think their defense will take a bigger step back then some think although that will be offset some by an improvement in their offense.

I think we still have a better back court. I think we have better athleticism and our bench is deeper. Both team should shoot the 3 pretty well, probably not as good as IU last year but still good.

So again, how's that not objective? It's a difference of opinion. It's not like I said they're going to be garbage, that wouldn't be objective. I said they're a Top 4/5 B10 team. I just think IU will be better. I have IU at 3rd and PU at 4th. Good Lord. It's really funny people say that's NOT objective. I mean, I'm not the only one who thinks IU will be better. We're ranked ahead of them in the preseason polls (not that they mean much at this point but it points out others think IU will be tough as well).
I think there are 4 top teams IU, UW, MSU and PU and I think all 4 has a good chance of winning the conference. I never said who i thought would be better and actually I think we will win the big ten with UW 2nd and PU 3rd

I think there are 4 top teams IU, UW, MSU and PU and I think all 4 has a good chance of winning the conference. I never said who i thought would be better and actually I think we will win the big ten with UW 2nd and PU 3rd
Ok, so I have the same top four but I specified where I thought everyone would fall. How is that not being objective? You said you don't see me being objective toward Purdue.

Surely you don't consider crean s better coach? Just what has crean done with all that talent since being at iu? 2 sweet 16's? I don't think either coach is all that great but it sure is easier getting talent at iu with a statewide media machine backing you. And yes I've been down on Painter

Crean is absolutely a better coach than Painter. Painter massively underachieved last year. Senior Hammons and Davis plus Haas, Edwards, and Swanigan and he couldn't even get out of the first round against lowly Little Rock. Best Purdue team since the baby boilers and he "achieved" a first round exit and 4th in the B1G. How long do you give a coach before it becomes inexcusable that his teams consistently can't break a press?

Then you have Crean who lost his second leading scorer at the beginning of B1G play and still managed to win the B1G outright by 2 games and make the second weekend of the tournament despite only having 2 healthy scholarship guards. Plus he won B1G coach of the year in case you forgot.

I've been as critical of Crean as anyone but I don't have many gripes about last year. His rotations have been tighter and they make sense. He's been finding diamonds in the rough like OG and Morgan. My only real complaint is he isn't recruiting at as high a level as he probably could. He should be landing a couple top 25 kids per year at least and hasn't done that. But I expect it may take a final four before the recruiting floodgates really open.

Reactions: IU Scott
Just by reading your post the last couple of years when it comes to Purdue and all the arguments you start about them.
So what I've posted in the past means that posts in this thread AREN'T objective. Got it. SMH.

I have been banned from GBI but I don't post on Hammer and Rails. How many different usernames do you have MJ18? Any comments coming from you are pure comedy.
You don't post since your banned. At least, not under the username snu(ironmanx2).

Yes what you posted in the past shows people your viewpoint on things.
Lol. Wut? My viewpoint on this coming season is my viewpoint on this coming season. Nothing what I've posted in the past has anything to do with my viewpoints on Purdue for next year.

Last edited:
I will say CTC did a good job but as we know last year Snu dog doogie kept briniging up the Purdue weak schedule and this year IU did the same...even weaker B1G schedule...never heard a peep of that but in fact defended it.

Also I keep hearing even after we lost our 2nd leading scorer...yet he hurt you guys until he got injured. UNLV, Wake dismantled by a Duke team. Also if TB was such an offense stud wouldn't he avg. more points in the paint? OG is a toss up because he has never played long starter minutes, Rojo same, Newkirk backup at Pitt same...seems like alot of question marks with nothing proven....But CS is avg compared to TB?

Easier to coach at IU

No. It is easier to recruit to IU due to the package of high profile, campus, exposure, fan base, facilities, strong academics etc.

It is a more difficult place to coach in part because of those things mentioned above. A huge fan base with large numbers of very knowledgeable fans, through the roof expectations, highly influential aggressive and monied alumni, less flexible academic standards (like PU), fishbowl.

Reactions: Hoogolf
I will say CTC did a good job but as we know last year Snu dog doogie kept briniging up the Purdue weak schedule and this year IU did the same...even weaker B1G schedule...never heard a peep of that but in fact defended it.
@boiler1987 - Care to confirm for me the below? You know I brought it up constantly.

I mentioned the IU schedule as a big reason for my belief they would finish higher than Purdue. You don't think I mentioned it because you weren't paying attention and it doesn't fit your argument. I 100% acknowledged our weak schedule.

Nice try old man, you're wrong again.

Last edited:
Also I keep hearing even after we lost our 2nd leading scorer...yet he hurt you guys until he got injured. UNLV, Wake dismantled by a Duke team. Also if TB was such an offense stud wouldn't he avg. more points in the paint? OG is a toss up because he has never played long starter minutes, Rojo same, Newkirk backup at Pitt same...seems like alot of question marks with nothing proven....But CS is avg compared to TB?
I'm 100% convinced you don't watch basketball. If you can't understand that with the way IU spread the ball around that some not everyone was going to put up big numbers. We didn't have to pound it in the paint. But then again, to figure that out takes a little bit of thought which I know escapes you.

Same can be said for Purdue. Swanigan isn't a go to guy on offense and his defense is suspect. Haas isn't the same defensive impact as Hammons and will have trouble staying on the floor with fouls. Edwards should be better but can he handle having the target on his back? Who is your PG? A gimpy Spike? I think he'll be a help, in fact I think he should start. He's better than anything you have but he's a defensive liability. No depth on the bench at all. Who's coming off your bench? Another man? A kid who wasn't even good enough to get minutes last year? Taylor? Don't make me laugh. Can Cline and Marhias be more than just spot up shooters? Don't think Marhias is quick enough. Cline should be improved next year though. Seems like a ton of question marks with nothing proven. Lulz, God your posts are just terrible.

No. It is easier to recruit to IU due to the package of high profile, campus, exposure, fan base, facilities, strong academics etc.

It is a more difficult place to coach in part because of those things mentioned above. A huge fan base with large numbers of very knowledgeable fans, through the roof expectations, highly influential aggressive and monied alumni, less flexible academic standards (like PU), fishbowl.
Exactly this. Very nice post. Hits the nail on the head.

IU started to turn around as a team at halftime of the Notre Dame game. The narrative of "IU got so much better after JBJ went down," is inaccurate. IU's offensive efficiency went down by exactly as much as the defensive efficiency went up. So at absolute worst JBJ's absence was a wash. And I'd argue his absence hurt quite a bit in the NCAAs when IU was so woefully short on guards.

Bryant shot 68% and has a ORtg of 130. He's an offensive stud. You can complain that he didn't take enough shots and I wouldn't argue with you too much but IU had the 4th best offense in the country so I can't be all that mad about how it operated.

OG played 24 minutes or more in 3 games at the end of last season and played incredibly well in all 3. Small sample size, obviously, but there's reason to think he'll thrive in a larger role this year. Rojo played starters minutes last year so I don't know what you're talking about. Newkirk has question marks for sure. CS was absolutely average when compared to TB. In everything but rebounding, where CS is one of the best in the conference.

You do realize under CTC's system... bigs get limited shots..Cody, Vonleh and now TB. I also believe you might have been the only person that didn't really believe JBJ hurt your team....even many posted on here about it.

I amended the post later, I meant easier to win at IU

Though I still believe you guys put too much stock in the pressure. The fact that TC has made it this long, not to mention he's received two raises/extensions proves you don't have that much pressure from where it matters

IU has less flexible academic standards than PU?

You do realize under CTC's system... bigs get limited shots..Cody, Vonleh and now TB. I also believe you might have been the only person that didn't really believe JBJ hurt your team....even many posted on here about it.

A lot of people were angered by JBJ's lack of effort on defense. I'll admit I was too. But losing a guard who shoots 45%+ from 3 point land is never good. And again, the stats show that the loss of JBJ was at worst a wash.

Though I still believe you guys put too much stock in the pressure. The fact that TC has made it this long, not to mention he's received two raises/extensions proves you don't have that much pressure from where it matters

Yeah, you're not a PU fan. Lulz

A lot of people were angered by JBJ's lack of effort on defense. I'll admit I was too. But losing a guard who shoots 45%+ from 3 point land is never good. And again, the stats show that the loss of JBJ was at worst a wash.

The academic standards are essentially identical. PU has slightly higher standards in math. IU has slightly higher standards in English. Anyone player who meets the standards at one meets the standards for the other.

The academic standards are essentially identical. PU has slightly higher standards in math. IU has slightly higher standards in English. Anyone player who meets the standards at one meets the standards for the other.
That's what I figured, if we were talking IU versus Memphis or UC, that I would buy

Last edited:

Just curious, do you think if Painter had the same success TC has had at IU the past 5 years, there would be so many critical PU fans calling for his job saying the program needs to move on? I could be wrong but I haven't heard that his position as head coach could be in jeopardy.

The pressure comes from the expectations that if the coach doesn't meet the elevated expectations of the school/fans then they will be out of a job. TC has accomplished enough that his position would be secure for many years to come at most schools, including PU. At most schools he could continue doing the same thing and not worry about his job. The pressure at IU is if he doesn't elevate to the next level he'll eventually be out of a job.

That's what I figured, if we were talking IU versus Memphis or UC than that I would buy
Agreed. I can't get on the "IU has higher academic standards" boat. It's not like IU is some academic haven for intellectuals to seek out. We're not Stanford. We're not even Notre Dame. Heck, PU is 'Purdue'cing astronauts for cripes sake. How's that for intellectuals attending the university.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Just curious, do you think if Painter had the same success TC has had at IU the past 5 years, there would be so many critical PU fans calling for his job saying the program needs to move on? I could be wrong but I haven't heard that his position as head coach could be in jeopardy.

The pressure comes from the expectations that if the coach doesn't meet the elevated expectations of the school/fans then they will be out of a job. TC has accomplished enough that his position would be secure for many years to come at most schools, including PU. At most schools he could continue doing the same thing and not worry about his job. The pressure at IU is if he doesn't elevate to the next level he'll eventually be out of a job.

IU will always be a more stressful job due to the higher expectations. Although pretty much any D1 coach can be fired due to performance at any given time so I doubt Painter is living an entirely carefree life.

Fans don't matter, unless they are big time boosters. Internet message boards are meaningless. Remember FG said he doesn't concern himself with the $100.00 donors

I think MP likely would've been fired already if they were certain to have an upgrade. His being an alum probably plays into it as well.

Most schools wouldn't have given out two extensions before a coach finished above fifth in the conference. I think you are overselling IUs desire to be elite.

I agree that there is more pressure to win at IU, but I think the amount of pressure is overstated by many posters. The recent past says you can have multiple off court incidents, some serious, some not, mass transfers, and as long as you balance out a 9th with a 1st you don't even have to win in the post season...your job is safe. Pressure yes, but the pressure cooker that many make it out to be? not even close

IU has Iowa type standards....and it's trickling down to the fans.

That could've been the same for RMK because some irrational IU fans think they are living in the past. What coach at IU since and including RMK didn't most fans want fired. Also most likely yourself at the beginning of this year after the Maui classic..I know many trustees and former people associated with the program who felt the same.

Blue Blood programs feel that the coach is secured. MSU took a huge hit in the tourney but do you think most fans want Izzo out? After the Cuse loss most wanted CTC out the next day. The difference between a present Blue Blood program now...and then.

I did not say that coaches feel that pressure or worry about it but to me it makes life easier for the coach to know that it is not championship or bust.[/QU
Championship or bust? Really? Then you're saying iu has been a bust since 1987. I think the standard for iu might be the sweet 16 these days. That's as far as they've been unless you go back to mike Davis. Crean took his number one ranked team to the 16. And got killed. Keep hoping for Brad if you want more. You had one of the best point guards in the land and never got past 16. Last season got good when Blackmon got hurt. Do you think crean would've sat him otherwise? Im not big on painter but cmon. It might be time to re-evaluate your championship or bust thoughts.

Championship or bust? You
Might want to reconsider that statement or say iu has been a bust since 1987. You have to go back to the mike Davis days to get to the FF. The new standard might be the sweet sixteen since that's as far as iu has been since crean took over. Even his number one ranked team got killed in Thr sweet sixteen. His team this past season got good after Blackmon went down. Do you think crean figured that out or just addition by subtraction ? Keep hoping for Brad. Now he could get iu back to the promised land. Not sold on either crean or painter who also has gotten to the sweet sixteen.

Championship or bust? You
Might want to reconsider that statement or say iu has been a bust since 1987. You have to go back to the mike Davis days to get to the FF. The new standard might be the sweet sixteen since that's as far as iu has been since crean took over. Even his number one ranked team got killed in Thr sweet sixteen. His team this past season got good after Blackmon went down. Do you think crean figured that out or just addition by subtraction ? Keep hoping for Brad. Now he could get iu back to the promised land. Not sold on either crean or painter who also has gotten to the sweet sixteen.

Championship or bust is often the wrong way to look at it. You want a coach who brings a team to the tournament with the talent and leadership to win it all. Ideally every season although 50% of the time is a more reasonable expectation for a program like IU. Crean is putting together more and more squads capable of winning it all IMO, which is what I look for. Painter's inability to recruit championship quality guards has kept Purdue from reaching that level since the baby boilers. Which is why I'd much rather have Crean.

No, I made the point that IU has less flexible standards as PU does. I try to be generally objective particularly when it comes to academics. The state of Indiana is blessed to have the number of top notch academic institutions we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT