ADVERTISEMENT

Spike Albrecht to Purdue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd Roster makeup at PU. They currently have 10 scholarship players are short PG's that have little position flexibility. PJ, Carsen Edwards and now Spike

Odd Roster makeup at PU. They currently have 10 scholarship players are short PG's that have little position flexibility. PJ, Carsen Edwards and now Spike

I agree. A good get but the build is interesting. I guess it is only a one year deal.

We've had 4 transfers the last few years so that plays a big role in it. And I'm okay with not taking guys just to fill out the roster since that'd take scholarships away from the 2017 class.

Reactions: HoosierinTN
Its Crean's fault......or something.
I would have been more surprised if this didn't happen. Spike seemed to be looking to stay in his home state or the B1G. We don't need a pg and don't have the scholarship as it stands now. Purdue has several open spots and a big hole at the pg position as they have had for 3 straight years. I am curious how he will play after recovering from his injuries. Painter will still need to recruit a high school pg at some point.

Ignoring stats from last year, his best year was 2015 when he averaged 7.5 ppg and 3.9 ast. averaging 32 minutes per game.

I would have been more surprised if this didn't happen. Spike seemed to be looking to stay in his home state or the B1G. We don't need a pg and don't have the scholarship as it stands now. Purdue has several open spots and a big hole at the pg position as they have had for 3 straight years. I am curious how he will play after recovering from his injuries. Painter will still need to recruit a high school pg at some point.

Ignoring stats from last year, his best year was 2015 when he averaged 7.5 ppg and 3.9 ast. averaging 32 minutes per game.

We have a high school PG that's a freshman this year.

It will be interesting to see how serious his hip issues are/were, or if it was just Beilein manufacturing a reason for his elimination from last years team.

I'm sure Purdue had him work out and he showed appropriate athletic ability so, he'll probably help this year. I'd be concerned about development if I were Carsen Edwards, and being eliminated from the rotation if I were PJ Thompson.

We've had 4 transfers the last few years so that plays a big role in it. And I'm okay with not taking guys just to fill out the roster since that'd take scholarships away from the 2017 class.
Right but why add another short PG? I would say more athletic wings and another Big man is much more of a need.

Right but why add another short PG? I would say more athletic wings and another Big man is much more of a need.

Albrecht is a guy that's too good to pass on. Ideally we'd like to have a more athletic wing but we didn't find one that we liked or wanted to come here. We're after some transfers but they'd have to sit out next year anyway. We def need several big men this year or next and I'm sure we'll recruit that hard in the spring and the 2017 class.

Albrecht is a guy that's too good to pass on. Ideally we'd like to have a more athletic wing but we didn't find one that we liked or wanted to come here. We're after some transfers but they'd have to sit out next year anyway. We def need several big men this year or next and I'm sure we'll recruit that hard in the spring and the 2017 class.
I think you guys will be fine this year if Swanigan comes back but if he leaves it will really hurt your chances in the big ten.

Reactions: Jedifick
B
Be funny if they swept Mich next year, not that I could ever pull for it to happen.

Obviously...if he doesn't come back PU could honestly be pretty bad.
Isaac haas, vince edwards, spike albrecht, basil smotherman, cline, and mathias make a very solid core. Pj Thompson will contribute, jaquil tarlor has shown flashes, and we bring in a 4 star pg. That's most definitely an ncaa tournament caliber team. Biggie would make us better obviously, but we'll still be fine withoit him.

JohnHchampionship post: 1619046 said:
Isaac haas, vince edwards, spike albrecht, basil smotherman, cline, and mathias make a very solid core. Pj Thompson will contribute, jaquil tarlor has shown flashes, and we bring in a 4 star pg. That's most definitely an ncaa tournament caliber team. Biggie would make us better obviously, but we'll still be fine withoit him.
Looks like a championship team...

Reactions: schmib
I smell S16.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Solid but pretty average. I see Haas having issues playing major minutes and your guard play is pretty poor. swanigan and Edwards are talents but lack of depth will be an issue. Also not being a homer here but just look at IU roster compared to PU and tell me with a straight face PU has as good a chance as iU to win it,

I believe you under value Yogi...big time! OG didn't make any all B1G teams, TW made 3rd team but sounds like his scholarship was giving to FS, So your left with a player that made All freshman team. Who do you value so much and prove his value? I do think that the team looks very good per eye test but is very unproven. Yogi was huge because he could control tempo and that can control a game.

I believe you under value Yogi...big time! OG didn't make any all B1G teams, TW made 3rd team but sounds like his scholarship was giving to FS, So your left with a player that made All freshman team. Who do you value so much and prove his value? I do think that the team looks very good per eye test but is very unproven. Yogi was huge because he could control tempo and that can control a game.
IU is deep...
Newkirk and Rojo will handle tempo
JBJ, Hartman, Cujo, Rojo, Green are all shooters
oG, McSwain, Morgan, are all nice combo big men that bring athleticism and toughness
Bryant and Davis are two really good front court players.

I like this roster better than last years and the thing with OG is he produced at a very high level per minutes played. You translate that over to starters minutes and you have big time production.

IU is deep...
Newkirk and Rojo will handle tempo
JBJ, Hartman, Cujo, Rojo, Green are all shooters
oG, McSwain, Morgan, are all nice combo big men that bring athleticism and toughness
Bryant and Davis are two really good front court players.

I like this roster better than last years and the thing with OG is he produced at a very high level per minutes played. You translate that over to starters minutes and you have big time production.
S
Haas also puts up insane numbers per 40 minutes. Also one of if not the best at drawing fouls in all d1 and is a good free throw shooter. To act like og will improve but Haas will struggle is being a little hypocritical. I'm not saying we're going to be a great team, just don't agree that we will be pretty bad without biggie as you put it.

S
Haas also puts up insane numbers per 40 minutes. Also one of if not the best at drawing fouls in all d1 and is a good free throw shooter. To act like og will improve but Haas will struggle is being a little hypocritical. I'm not saying we're going to be a great team, just don't agree that we will be pretty bad without biggie as you put it.
Reason I am saying Haas will struggle is because of being in foul trouble and because I am not sure he can physically play an up and down style of game for 25+minutes. Has nothing to do with his skill set not improving.

If Biggie returns Purdue will be fine. Adding Spike is huge because it should settle the point guard spot. Incoming Edwards adds a different dimension to the position. When Haas needs a rest or is in foul trouble, Biggie goes to the 5. Don't know how to compare this to IU. Losing Yogi is huge. I wouldn't have said that until his senior year but I thought he played by far his best ball. Should be fun.

If Biggie returns Purdue will be fine. Adding Spike is huge because it should settle the point guard spot. Incoming Edwards adds a different dimension to the position. When Haas needs a rest or is in foul trouble, Biggie goes to the 5. Don't know how to compare this to IU. Losing Yogi is huge. I wouldn't have said that until his senior year but I thought he played by far his best ball. Should be fun.
Pu issue is lack of depth for the 2-4 spots. Haas has never played big minutes so can he play long stretches of time? I would say currently you lack playmakers on the perimeter.
PG: Spike, Pj, C. Edwards
2-3: Mathias, Cline
3: Edwards, Smotherman
4: Biggie
5: Hass, Taylor

Unproven? I'll take our unproven team with 4 returning starters. Bryant really came on in the tournament and OG will become a top defender and improve his minutes and scoring. Newkirk, Rojo and JBJ is a good group of guards before you add our two recruits. Add Green and Cujo to the mix and we will have plenty of depth. Don't forget our 4 star Davis coming in. I have a feeling he will be hard to keep on the bench. I suppose FS is Freddie McSwain? Yeah, I almost forgot about him.

Glad you got Spike. You really need him. I wonder who the guest pg will be next year?

S
Doesn't matter what Haas's per 40 numbers are if he is sucking wind after 17 minutes. Yes OG will continue to improve. I am not sure what Haas will do. I don't see him making the improvement Bryant, OG, or Juwan will make.

So... OG gets better and is a completely unproven starter and is a better player then Haas? Starter at the beginning of the yr, avg more points, rebounds, ft's, minutes and started over AJ who was All B1G! This is called facts.

So... OG gets better and is a completely unproven starter and is a better player then Haas? Starter at the beginning of the yr, avg more points, rebounds, ft's, minutes and started over AJ who was All B1G! This is called facts.
Haas is fine. Question mark is can he play major minutes?

Pu issue is lack of depth for the 2-4 spots. Haas has never played big minutes so can he play long stretches of time? I would say currently you lack playmakers on the perimeter.
PG: Spike, Pj, C. Edwards
2-3: Mathias, Cline
3: Edwards, Smotherman
4: Biggie
5: Hass, Taylor

Edwards is going to be a legit playmaker next year. You saw pretty good flashes of it last year. I agree about depth though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT