ADVERTISEMENT

speculation on remaining 'ships

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
I have no inside knowledge---only what I see here & on 247 & Rivals.......but wanted to look at who we might get with our remaining 'ships. Assuming we have 10 left (no idea), who would you like to see us get.....ie....the best we might have a shot at at positions of need?

For discussion purposes, I'll throw these names out.....again, we may not even be recruiting half these guys----just a guess based on what I'm seeing--

*David Baldwin QB ILL
*David Bell WR IN
*Jordan Jakes WR WD or DeMarcus Harris WR FLA
*Ben Castellono TE PA or Brett Seither TE FLA
*Kaleb Boateng FLA OT
*Maurice Smith FLA G
*Latrell Jean DE FLA
*Cameron Williams OLB IN
*JD Martin ALA ATH
*Tiawan Muller FLA CB or Corey Thomas PA S

I'd like to get a TB but don't see any likely prospects. We appear to be on the outside looking in on Givens out of OH and Nichols from MI. Seems to me that OLB is more likely for Winters than TB(?).

Jakes and Harris at WR look to be better prospects than Lyles or Barnett.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Need 2 more ol Allen Duplain would be great .also another d-tackle Williams from tenn and de jean from Florida .indiana olb Williams .Bell and Jakes wr te ognenovic from Florida .suprise qauterback late would top things off!!!!SSH

I have no inside knowledge---only what I see here & on 247 & Rivals.......but wanted to look at who we might get with our remaining 'ships. Assuming we have 10 left (no idea), who would you like to see us get.....ie....the best we might have a shot at at positions of need?

For discussion purposes, I'll throw these names out.....again, we may not even be recruiting half these guys----just a guess based on what I'm seeing--

*David Baldwin QB ILL
*David Bell WR IN
*Kaleb Boateng FLA OT
*Maurice Smith FLA G
*Latrell Jean DE FLA
*Cameron Williams OLB IN
*JD Martin ALA ATH

I'd like to get a TB but don't see any likely prospects. We appear to be on the outside looking in on Givens out of OH and Nichols from MI. Seems to me that OLB is more likely for Winters than TB(?).

Thoughts?
We likely have 10 or 11 more slots to fill so

1 QB
1 RB/Slot WR
2 big WRs
3 OL
1 DT
1 Safety
1/2 athletes/best available/fill attrition spots

Still holding for Bell, Sampson James, and Williams the LB if they want to come.

Would love to see us go after some 4*s.

We've got a great class lined up so far.

Ignore the "star" ratings complied by a bunch of guys who aren't coaching college football and pay more attention to which other Big Time programs have offered our recruits.

Sio Nofoagatoto'a was offered by NE, AZ, & WVa among others.

That type of opposition offer list seems to be the norm with this class, which is a very good sign (IMO).

Last edited:

*David Baldwin QB ILL
*David Bell WR IN
*Kaleb Boateng FLA OT
*Maurice Smith FLA G
*Latrell Jean DE FLA
*Cameron Williams OLB IN
*JD Martin ALA ATH

Thoughts?

This is what is considered a “down year” in QB recruiting. Most of the ratings services acknowledge that.
We’ll still take one....and there are a bunch of dual threat kids in Florida that are under the radar as well as Texas.

Would love to see us go after some 4*s.

Huh???

Allen and staff have offered close to 90 kids who are 4 or 5 star players.

That’s like 50% of our offers.

Allen and staff are trying like hell to land as many of them as possible....as is every big time program in the country.

There was a time when IU couldn’t beat out MAC programs for guys. It’s a building process and IU’s recruiting is the best it’s ever been thanks to the facilities and commitment.

We've got a great class lined up so far.

Ignore the "star" ratings complied by a bunch of guys who aren't coaching college football and pay more attention to which other Big Time programs have offered our recruits.

Sio Nofoagatoto'a was offered by NE, AZ, & WVa among others.

That type of opposition offer list seems to be the norm with this class, which is a very good sign (IMO).

I can’t disagree with this statement enough. Is it just a coincidence that the teams who’ve signed the most 4-5 stars are also the same teams who are in the playoffs or NY6 games every year? I’m not suggesting that a school like Washington or Wisconsin doesn’t develop players but it’s much easier to win when you can just plug in play. I don’t know if we can ever be a program like that but it’s reassuring to finally see some depth across the LOS.

Huh???

Allen and staff have offered close to 90 kids who are 4 or 5 star players.

That’s like 50% of our offers.

Allen and staff are trying like hell to land as many of them as possible....as is every big time program in the country.

There was a time when IU couldn’t beat out MAC programs for guys. It’s a building process and IU’s recruiting is the best it’s ever been thanks to the facilities and commitment.
Yeah I have no idea what that guy is talking about.

Reactions: brebelle3
I can’t disagree with this statement enough. Is it just a coincidence that the teams who’ve signed the most 4-5 stars are also the same teams who are in the playoffs or NY6 games every year? I’m not suggesting that a school like Washington or Wisconsin doesn’t develop players but it’s much easier to win when you can just plug in play. I don’t know if we can ever be a program like that but it’s reassuring to finally see some depth across the LOS.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but there are only a few teams in the country who can just "plug and play." We all know who they are. The rest of us compete for the remaining kids. It is all about finding players who fit your system, buy into the coaches vision and develop.

Notre Dame went 4-8 in 2016 with a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids. Remember how Oregon was rolling under Chip Kelley? How about LSU, Missouri, Kansas (they played in the 2008 Orange Bowl)? Yes, it also takes the Jimmies and Joes, but how does Wisconsin win 10 games a year with a bunch of 3 star kids?

Trust the process. Our recruiting is improving. Our talent is improving. It is becoming clear CTA has a very defined strategy and is recruiting to it.

Since Rivals started, no team has won a NC with less than 50% of their players having at least a 4* rating.

7 players in the 2018 NFL draft's first round were 5* recruits and there are about 30 5* recruits a year. 10 former 5* players were selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL draft. So that's about a 30% chance a 5* recruit goes in the first round.

There are about 3000 3* or lower recruits and about 15 of them will be first rounders or 0.5%.

Teams can still be better at development than others, but just ignoring the star ratings is ignoring a lot of data that tells us who the best athletes generally are.

Since Rivals started, no team has won a NC with less than 50% of their players having at least a 4* rating.

7 players in the 2018 NFL draft's first round were 5* recruits and there are about 30 5* recruits a year. 10 former 5* players were selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL draft. So that's about a 30% chance a 5* recruit goes in the first round.

There are about 3000 3* or lower recruits and about 15 of them will be first rounders or 0.5%.

Teams can still be better at development than others, but just ignoring the star ratings is ignoring a lot of data that tells us who the best athletes generally are.
Well, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. No one here is talking about national championships. We need to play consistently good football and get into that 6-8 win range before it's realistic to contemplate loftier goals. In my opinion, we can play winning football with the talent we're now recruiting.

Stars don't tell the whole story but, sure, they're important. And, as the winning increases, we'll see more 4* guys. Our 2018 class is really strong, and the coaches are off to a great start with the 2019 group. Allen and his staff have done an impressive job in recruiting, particularly in light of the less-than-stellar W/L record in 2017. If we can pull off a six or seven win season this year, the future recruiting possibilities become really intriguing.

Well, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. No one here is talking about national championships. We need to play consistently good football and get into that 6-8 win range before it's realistic to contemplate loftier goals. In my opinion, we can play winning football with the talent we're now recruiting.

Stars don't tell the whole story but, sure, they're important. And, as the winning increases, we'll see more 4* guys. Our 2018 class is really strong, and the coaches are off to a great start with the 2019 group. Allen and his staff have done an impressive job in recruiting, particularly in light of the less-than-stellar W/L record in 2017. If we can pull off a six or seven win season this year, the future recruiting possibilities become really intriguing.

Yeah I was just making the point that star/recruiting ratings do matter, and for the most part are pretty good.

It bodes well that we are doing what we are doing with these two classes. If we can post a winning season we will see a jump from there IMO.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but there are only a few teams in the country who can just "plug and play." We all know who they are. The rest of us compete for the remaining kids. It is all about finding players who fit your system, buy into the coaches vision and develop.

Notre Dame went 4-8 in 2016 with a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids. Remember how Oregon was rolling under Chip Kelley? How about LSU, Missouri, Kansas (they played in the 2008 Orange Bowl)? Yes, it also takes the Jimmies and Joes, but how does Wisconsin win 10 games a year with a bunch of 3 star kids?

Trust the process. Our recruiting is improving. Our talent is improving. It is becoming clear CTA has a very defined strategy and is recruiting to it.

What he said... (nice synopsis ES).

Need 2 more ol Allen Duplain would be great .also another d-tackle Williams from tenn and de jean from Florida .indiana olb Williams .Bell and Jakes wr te ognenovic from Florida .suprise qauterback late would top things off!!!!SSH

I believe Duplain will decide between IU and BC. Speculation by several MSU insiders is MSU is only taking 4 OL, and after the verbal by Dobbs the staffs interest in Duplain was as a defensive linemen. The belief is that Duplain wants to play OL.

Good luck.

I believe Duplain will decide between IU and BC. Speculation by several MSU insiders is MSU is only taking 4 OL, and after the verbal by Dobbs the staffs interest in Duplain was as a defensive linemen. The belief is that Duplain wants to play OL.

Good luck.

Thanks....looks like you guys are putting a good class together.

Yeah I was just making the point that star/recruiting ratings do matter, and for the most part are pretty good.

Are they correlative? Yes. Do they "matter"? That's still highly debatable. On some level, they are self-reinforcing (ie simply getting an offer from an elite school can boost a ranking). Furthermore, just getting handful of 4star players is pretty much meaningless without a solid supporting cast.

Are they correlative? Yes. Do they "matter"? That's still highly debatable. On some level, they are self-reinforcing (ie simply getting an offer from an elite school can boost a ranking). Furthermore, just getting handful of 4star players is pretty much meaningless without a solid supporting cast.

You are arguing semantics mostly. More 4 and 5* recruits generally lead to more on field success, I think we agree there. It's not a guarantee, but it is an indicator of the ceiling of a team. Coaching is generally the issue when dealing with the floor of a team, I believe.

It would take quite a bit of tracking on the self-reinforcing issue. Does Alabama go after a kid because he has a 5* rating? Or is it the other way around? Or both? Probably both, we may never know the answer to it either.

What if the solid supporting cast is simply more 4 and 5* recruits? Just having, say, ten players on the team that were former 4* recruits doesn't really raise the bar much for an 85-scholarship roster. Half of them probably don't pan out anyway.

Thanks....looks like you guys are putting a good class together.

Allen has a great eye for talent, and is putting together a very strong class. Don't get too wrapped up in the star ratings. Not every 5-star will play like one, and some 3-stars will. Did LeVeon Bell play like the 2-star he was rated, or was his actual ability closer to that of a 5-star.? Jack Conklin was a non-rated walkon and ended up being a first round selection as an offensive tackle.

My father had a saying that 90% of coaching is judging talent. The other 10% is knowing where to play it. I believe Tom Allen is cut from the same cloth as Mark Dantonio. They can identify talent, especially among those players that may not attend all the camps or receive all the notariety.

Reactions: 82IU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT