ADVERTISEMENT

Specialty Hospital reviews?

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
My mom was sent to IU Methodist last week after having two cardiac arrests caused by an issue with her respiratory system. They are discussing sending her to Kindred Hospital to work on weaning her off the ventilator.

Anyone have any experience with Kindred in Indy? My wife is a Health Information Administrator and is only aware of the Kindred nursing facilities in the south. Overall, she is not impressed with the Kindred facilities she has been to. I don't trust the online reviews as we were fooled on that once before.

My mom was sent to IU Methodist last week after having two cardiac arrests caused by an issue with her respiratory system. They are discussing sending her to Kindred Hospital to work on weaning her off the ventilator.

Anyone have any experience with Kindred in Indy? My wife is a Health Information Administrator and is only aware of the Kindred nursing facilities in the south. Overall, she is not impressed with the Kindred facilities she has been to. I don't trust the online reviews as we were fooled on that once before.

Full disclosure, I work in IT at Kindred. I don't recommend the nursing facilities at all. But if you look at the reviews, Kindred Hospitals have very high success rates at weaning people off vents. It might be the one thing we do well, but don't just take my word for it, check the reviews. The Kindred Indy hospital is rated very high. But with that being said, once she's stable and off the vent, get her somewhere else. Kindred's business model is to take care of the patient at every level of care so they get paid repeatedly. Kindred's nursing centers are bad and they are selling them now to get out of that business.

Good luck, I hope everything goes well with your mother.

Full disclosure, I work in IT at Kindred. I don't recommend the nursing facilities at all. But if you look at the reviews, Kindred Hospitals have very high success rates at weaning people off vents. It might be the one thing we do well, but don't just take my word for it, check the reviews. The Kindred Indy hospital is rated very high. But with that being said, once she's stable and off the vent, get her somewhere else. Kindred's business model is to take care of the patient at every level of care so they get paid repeatedly. Kindred's nursing centers are bad and they are selling them now to get out of that business.

Thanks! My sister says she saw a TV ad that a Kindred nursing facility in Terre Haute takes ventilator patients and weans people off ventilator. My wife is familiar with that facility and is skeptical, yet supposedly my sister saw it in an ad.

Your facility sounds like a better option. Maybe I'll see you up there!

I talked with a buddy of mine who has been president of a variety of hospitals here in Georgia. He said that Kindred is a for-profit system that is designed to maximize the profitability of their revenue streams, and weaning a patient off a ventilator is one of them. He said they're generally pretty good at that, but like any facility taking care of the elderly, you have to establish a good working relationship with the staff and gently/subtlely let them know you're gonna be making sure your mother is well taken care of. Other than that, he said generally speaking they're as good as any at what your mother needs, assuming that she doesn't need anything more than weaning off a ventilator that she need.

He also said if you can find the data on-line then look for a wean-rate of 80% or better. If they have that, you're likely in good hands.

Finally, an important outcome to watch for is that she doesn't develop any other conditions, such as an ulcerated spot from pressure on her flesh from the ventilator, or a secondary infection of some sort.

BTW, this guy has an elderly mother and step-dad in a wonderful skilled nursing facility here in the ATL, and he follows the advice above himself. He's there every day to check on them. I know that's not always possible, but as often as you can check in with your mom by phone, and plan as many in-person visits as you can. It can, and likely will, make a difference.

All the best to you and your mom, bud!

Reactions: Eppy99
I talked with a buddy of mine who has been president of a variety of hospitals here in Georgia. He said that Kindred is a for-profit system that is designed to maximize the profitability of their revenue streams, and weaning a patient off a ventilator is one of them. He said they're generally pretty good at that, but like any facility taking care of the elderly, you have to establish a good working relationship with the staff and gently/subtlely let them know you're gonna be making sure your mother is well taken care of. Other than that, he said generally speaking they're as good as any at what your mother needs, assuming that she doesn't need anything more than weaning off a ventilator that she need.

He also said if you can find the data on-line then look for a wean-rate of 80% or better. If they have that, you're likely in good hands.

Finally, an important outcome to watch for is that she doesn't develop any other conditions, such as an ulcerated spot from pressure on her flesh from the ventilator, or a secondary infection of some sort.

BTW, this guy has an elderly mother and step-dad in a wonderful skilled nursing facility here in the ATL, and he follows the advice above himself. He's there every day to check on them. I know that's not always possible, but as often as you can check in with your mom by phone, and plan as many in-person visits as you can. It can, and likely will, make a difference.

All the best to you and your mom, bud!
Thank you! It sounds this this will be our best option and I appreciate your help!. I believe she will be moved early next week. My dad will be there much of the time and isn't shy about asking questions. We are working to find him a place to stay and make sure he gets home as much as possible.

Last edited:

My mom has been at Kindred for the last few weeks. She isn't improving and her mental state has declined. Before her latest issue and shortly after arriving at Methodist, her mind was clear and sharp. Now she is agitated and very confused when she is awake.

I set up a conference call today with my dad, sister, the doctor, and nurses. We decided to give it a couple more weeks to wean her off the vent. At that time, we will honor mom's Living will and not put her back on the ventilator. I had to take the lead asking questions as my dad is emotionally drained. He immediately felt better after my sister and I supported him in the decision as he is the POA. I am now in shock and struggling to get anything done. I only hope she can be transferred home. Their local hospital has a 5 bed hospice unit. I am going to check if she qualifies for that and if there would be room for her. I'm not sure how to get

Kindred has done all they could. We have been very happy with her care and the doctors. This is much better than our previous experience at the Specialty hospital in Evansville back in February.

My mom has been at Kindred for the last few weeks. She isn't improving and her mental state has declined. Before her latest issue and shortly after arriving at Methodist, her mind was clear and sharp. Now she is agitated and very confused when she is awake.

I set up a conference call today with my dad, sister, the doctor, and nurses. We decided to give it a couple more weeks to wean her off the vent. At that time, we will honor mom's Living will and not put her back on the ventilator. I had to take the lead asking questions as my dad is emotionally drained. He immediately felt better after my sister and I supported him in the decision as he is the POA. I am now in shock and struggling to get anything done. I only hope she can be transferred home. Their local hospital has a 5 bed hospice unit. I am going to check if she qualifies for that and if there would be room for her. I'm not sure how to get

Kindred has done all they could. We have been very happy with her care and the doctors. This is much better than our previous experience at the Specialty hospital in Evansville back in February.

Dude, I'm so sorry to hear that. I was wondering how she was doing. Prayers and thoughts with your and your family during this tough time.

My mom has been at Kindred for the last few weeks. She isn't improving and her mental state has declined.
[...]
At that time, we will honor mom's Living will and not put her back on the ventilator.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Strokes are ugly. You're making the right decision.

My mom had been doing very badly and was still on the vent and not able to wake up during one of my visits. About the time we were beginning to consider hospice and removing the vent, she became alert and has been off the vent for 6 days.

Kindred Hospital wants to send her to their other facility in Greenwood because they have the option to put her on the vent if she would need that temporarily. Dad is worn out mentally and physically after 2 months living out of a hotel following the previous 5 months of spending 12 hours or more per day in other facilities..

How long does she need to be off the vent before she is considered weaned? Nobody will tell me why she can't go to one of the very good nursing facilities close to home. I'm worried they will never recommend her leaving their facilities and we will have to force a move. At this point, my dad isn't questioning anything.. He is worn out after 7 months of this and isn't asking the obvious questions.

Mom's case worker at Kindred is absolutely wonderful. I believe her name is Allesha? She has listened to my dad and even painted my mom's nails after her work day had ended. I met her the last time I was up there and she is a very sweet person.

I

My mom had been doing very badly and was still on the vent and not able to wake up during one of my visits. About the time we were beginning to consider hospice and removing the vent, she became alert and has been off the vent for 6 days.

Kindred Hospital wants to send her to their other facility in Greenwood because they have the option to put her on the vent if she would need that temporarily. Dad is worn out mentally and physically after 2 months living out of a hotel following the previous 5 months of spending 12 hours or more per day in other facilities..

How long does she need to be off the vent before she is considered weaned? Nobody will tell me why she can't go to one of the very good nursing facilities close to home. I'm worried they will never recommend her leaving their facilities and we will have to force a move. At this point, my dad isn't questioning anything.. He is worn out after 7 months of this and isn't asking the obvious questions.

Mom's case worker at Kindred is absolutely wonderful. I believe her name is Allesha? She has listened to my dad and even painted my mom's nails after her work day had ended. I met her the last time I was up there and she is a very sweet person.

I

I wish I could provide answers but I'm just a computer geek that keeps the 1s and 0s from turning into 10s.

I will say that Kindred has no desire to keep anyone longer than they need to. It hurts their numbers and profitability. The sooner they get people healed and out of the door, the better. Not all Nursing Centers have the same amenities so that might be why they recommended Greenwood over facilities closer to home. If there are other facilities closer to home that aren't Kindred, check them out and see if they could handle putting her back on the vent if necessary.

My father was in a Kindred Nursing center and I had the same experience as you where people wouldn't give me any real answers. That's another reason I didn't recommend a Kindred Nursing Center. The hospitals are great but the nursing centers are hit or miss.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can get you a contact number here at corporate that can help you get the answers to your questions. I'll post it once I get it.

Hopefully this means your mother has turned the corner and will continue improving. Good luck.

Here is the number to the Kindred Hotline (1-800-359-7412). They should be able to help you get the center to answer your questions.

I wish I could provide answers but I'm just a computer geek that keeps the 1s and 0s from turning into 10s.

I will say that Kindred has no desire to keep anyone longer than they need to. It hurts their numbers and profitability. The sooner they get people healed and out of the door, the better. Not all Nursing Centers have the same amenities so that might be why they recommended Greenwood over facilities closer to home. If there are other facilities closer to home that aren't Kindred, check them out and see if they could handle putting her back on the vent if necessary.

My father was in a Kindred Nursing center and I had the same experience as you where people wouldn't give me any real answers. That's another reason I didn't recommend a Kindred Nursing Center. The hospitals are great but the nursing centers are hit or miss.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can get you a contact number here at corporate that can help you get the answers to your questions. I'll post it once I get it.

Hopefully this means your mother has turned the corner and will continue improving. Good luck.
Thanks! She has improved in the last 2 weeks. Hoping it continues, but she has so many risk factors right now that any of the possible complications could prove fatal. I've been told the tracheotomy won't ever be reversed. Her airway above the trach is too damaged . since her last resuscitation.

Mom is moving right now to the Kindred facility nearby. It scores very well on the Medicare website. My wife is a Medical Records Consultant and compared it to places she works with and found it encouraging. According to my wife, these scores come directly from auditors and not the public.

Kindred Hospital was very good for mom and we appreciate what they have done. Hopefully the next move will bring her closer to home.

Reactions: BGunn

All I will say is if it is heart issue go to Cleveland Clinic.. Best in the world by FAR.. both wife and dad go there and I wouldn't take them anywhere else.

All I will say is if it is heart issue go to Cleveland Clinic.. Best in the world by FAR.. both wife and dad go there and I wouldn't take them anywhere else.
Her heart is fine. Her lungs and airway are the reason she has coded 4 times. The first time happened when I was sitting with her. So far they are 4/4 in restarting her heart. As of now, there won't be a 5th attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT