ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

thought this was ridiculous. He should focus 100% on being beat Special Teams we can be! How could the new safeties coach not handle husky too?
Wondered about that as well. Jones has coached in this defense before and has great credentials.

While Teegarden is taking on a new role in an area that needs improvement.

TomT

Reactions: vesuvius13
What allows a team to return a punt for a TD?
Blocking?
Return man skill?
Scheme?
It takes skill to return punts #1 then a couple timely blocks. As a coach I would take a returner with a knack to return for the best chance at scoring TDs. One year on KO returns I had a player score 6 TDs and it looked like I was a genius but other years we were lucky to score 1 TD with returns.

I just don’t get why Allen couldn’t hire a proven OC and STC? I mean, he’s no Nick Saban. He needs all the experienced X and O guys he can get.

And yes, to have Coach T get a promotion to a coordinator role AND give him Husky position? Give that to new safeties coach and let Coach T focus on improving what’s been a basically anemic return game last two years, and a coverage team that was better last year than year before, but still seems like given up some big plays, such as not being ready for an onside kick! Spreading him thin makes Zero sense to me!!

And yes, to have Coach T get a promotion to a coordinator role AND give him Husky position? Give that to new safeties coach and let Coach T focus on improving what’s been a basically anemic return game last two years, and a coverage team that was better last year than year before, but still seems like given up some big plays, such as not being ready for an onside kick! Spreading him thin makes Zero sense to me!!

His assignment for Husky is more to do with practice schedule than responsibility added. Teams can't practice ST all practice long and often use starters for STs. As a result, STs have their own practice time to emphasize the importance of STs. Once ST practice is done, there is only individual work that can be done for STs so ST coaches have dead time they can be coaching a position.

His assignment for Husky is more to do with practice schedule than responsibility added. Teams can't practice ST all practice long and often use starters for STs. As a result, STs have their own practice time to emphasize the importance of STs. Once ST practice is done, there is only individual work that can be done for STs so ST coaches have dead time they can be coaching a position.
Good explanation, and I will acknowledge I've seen many S/T coaches listed as RB/ST or TE/ST, so guess it's common out there for reasons you imply.

I'd still potentially say - fine, let him help out but make the Safeties coach "responsible" for the Husky and let Coach T freaking work with the kickers or punters alone or go watch film for the next week for all I care. IU S/T has not been a "difference maker" last few years (and has literally cost us games over that time...or for sure contributed to losses). Inge was 'just" S/T coach. Wish was the same for Coach T and let him crush it first before expanding his duties, and seems indirectly like a slap to new coach as "safeties only" and not even husky? (Wish Womack were "just" DC and didn't have direct LB duties too!)

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT