ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

MKordIUBB

Sophomore
Jul 19, 2017
We need to make sure that we don’t allow a 40+ return every game. Are we any better there this year?

Reactions: 76-1
Most here speculated the 3 coordinators (does CTA count?) might get the boot after last season. I fully expected the special teams guy to go first. Shows what I know. I absolutely despise freaking pooch kicks. If you're gonna give it to them on the 40, just kick the stupid ball outta bounds.

While not a fan of pooch kick-offs, after what happened in back to back games vs Iowa and Penn St, pooch kicks were the lesser of 2 evils. Better the opponent start at their own 25-35 vs in IU territory, as happened multiple times in those 2 games. The Penn State game momentum after taking a 1 point lead in the 3rd quarter, was totally squandered on the ensuing kick.

How Inge saved his gig is puzzling.

While not a fan of pooch kick-offs, after what happened in back to back games vs Iowa and Penn St, pooch kicks were the lesser of 2 evils. Better the opponent start at their own 25-35 vs in IU territory, as happened multiple times in those 2 games. The Penn State game momentum after taking a 1 point lead in the 3rd quarter, was totally squandered on the ensuing kick.

How Inge saved his gig is puzzling.

Believe Inge is a great recruiter and maybe Allen felt there were not enough non-FR on S/T to justify blaming it all on him. I'm willing to start fresh this year but if S/T are a disaster again (and really it was mainly kick off & returns, don't think gave up many punt returns to the house) then it would either be CTA or Inge who'd be responsible & accountable, and well, think the Spec Teams Coordinator has to fall on that sword if so. I wish him well as better they do, better IU does!

Here’s two things that bother me:

1. We have a kicker in Charles Campbell that can kick a ball 60+ yards from a snap....consistently. Imagine what he can do from a tee? Put the guy on kickoffs and let him kick it out of the end zone every time. Give them the ball at the 25.

2. Don’t run the ball out of the end zone 3 yards deep. You are going to get tackled inside the 25. You got a dynamic kick returner? Okay - give him the green light. He gets tackled inside the 25 at least 3 times in a game? Fair catch it the remainder. All of these guys running into a pile short of the 25. Have to find a guy that can read the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT