ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams gaffe

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
Watching an IU punt at about the 5:40 mark of the third quarter and an IU player, #97, actually jumps on the ball as it's about to roll forward for another 10 yards!!! Incredibly low IQ play, when does this stupidity end?

I'm not sure I've seen a dumber play. Whew...coaching on special teams sure ain't special.

Watching an IU punt at about the 5:40 mark of the third quarter and an IU player, #97, actually jumps on the ball as it's about to roll forward for another 10 yards!!! Incredibly low IQ play, when does this stupidity end?

I'm not sure I've seen a dumber play. Whew...coaching on special teams sure ain't special.
A lot of people in the stands were scratching their heads on that play. I have to wonder if he didn't think the ball might have hit one of the Md players who was retreating for a return setup. Otherwise, it was pretty dumb.

I'm not defending our less-than-stellar special teams play, but that play isn't on the coach. I'll bet my house that any kid who ever played jr. high football was specifically told not to stop a punt that is rolling or bouncing in the correct direction. There are some things a college coach should never have to say to any player.

I hope TA re-evaluates the decision to hand all special teams over to one coach. I think st perform better under multiple coaches each responsible for only one or two units. During st practice time (which is usually limited) each unit gets direct instruction and evaluation from one coach. It's more efficient and it places accountability for st play on everyone. Each coach can make decisions about who can and cannot effectively contribute. Each coach can focus on one particular aspect of st in addition to regular duty.

I heard Dave Wonnstadt say that as a head coach he always liked to coach some special teams units. It gave him direct involvement with a particular group and helped him get to know second and third string players. He also noted that those guys did not want to screw up under the direct eye of the head coach. I thought that was pretty sound logic.

When I saw it on TV, I thought the ball still had a chance to hit the MD player, but #97 jumped on it too early. For all the special teams issues This team has experienced, that one was not on the coach.

Pretty harsh.....he obviously thought the ball hit a Maryland player and made the appropriate play. It wasn't stupid, but it was wrong.

Reactions: muubell

That is typical of someone who has never coached. It is easy to point the finger at a coach when a player gets overexhuberant and and jumps on the ball prematurely. That is silly to blame a coach for a player getting caught up in the moment. The special teams have had enough screw ups that you can blame on coaches.

If he thought it hit a Maryland player, then please take my thread down. I watched the play several times and did not come to that conclusion. It appeared to be a folly.

Reactions: Lillyr66
A lot of people in the stands were scratching their heads on that play. I have to wonder if he didn't think the ball might have hit one of the Md players who was retreating for a return setup. Otherwise, it was pretty dumb.

I'm not defending our less-than-stellar special teams play, but that play isn't on the coach. I'll bet my house that any kid who ever played jr. high football was specifically told not to stop a punt that is rolling or bouncing in the correct direction. There are some things a college coach should never have to say to any player.

I hope TA re-evaluates the decision to hand all special teams over to one coach. I think st perform better under multiple coaches each responsible for only one or two units. During st practice time (which is usually limited) each unit gets direct instruction and evaluation from one coach. It's more efficient and it places accountability for st play on everyone. Each coach can make decisions about who can and cannot effectively contribute. Each coach can focus on one particular aspect of st in addition to regular duty.

I heard Dave Wonnstadt say that as a head coach he always liked to coach some special teams units. It gave him direct involvement with a particular group and helped him get to know second and third string players. He also noted that those guys did not want to screw up under the direct eye of the head coach. I thought that was pretty sound logic.
Not to be factious, but I don't really care where the source of the problem with our Ordinary Teams (Cant say Special) but dang someone has to fix it.

If he thought it hit a Maryland player, then please take my thread down. I watched the play several times and did not come to that conclusion. It appeared to be a folly.

If you watch the play again, the player immediately grabs his own helmet when he got up and knowing he made a mistake. I think one of the players in the area says something to him.

Reactions: brebelle3 and td75
That was probably a mental mistake by the player. But if you look back at the season would have to say a dry-eyed analysis would be the special teams have NOT been a high point for the team this year, especially the PSU game for sure, but many examples throughout season of breakdowns.

That was probably a mental mistake by the player. But if you look back at the season would have to say a dry-eyed analysis would be the special teams have NOT been a high point for the team this year, especially the PSU game for sure, but many examples throughout season of breakdowns.

Inge is gone at year’s end for his terrible oversight of that whole unit.

Reactions: td75

pretty sure he thought the ball hit a UMd player.

i thought it might have anyway

his reaction after falling on the ball seems to confirm that also imo.

i was curious myself why there were no replays to make sure it didn't.

Speaking of Special teams gaffes, TA Jr needs to settle down on Kick offs. He got a senseless Personal Foul on our first kick of the 2nd half and nearly got one on the opening kick off. There's playing aggressive and there's playing stupid. Anyone sitting near bench see if Dad chewed him out?

Reactions: td75
Allen jr seems like a total hothead, not a good look.

Allen jr seems like a total hothead, not a good look.
He wasn't the only one. On the TV broadcast they showed the clip of a cheap hit by a Maryland player on Ramsey in last year's game. The announcers commented several times about the "chippiness" and that there might be some bad blood between these two teams.

Speaking of Special teams gaffes, TA Jr needs to settle down on Kick offs. He got a senseless Personal Foul on our first kick of the 2nd half and nearly got one on the opening kick off. There's playing aggressive and there's playing stupid. Anyone sitting near bench see if Dad chewed him out?

I thought that was kind of a marginal call on TA.....It looked like the was blocking one player, then went to block a second as the play was ending.

I thought the MD player who nailed Crawford on the side line from the side when the ball carrier was stepping out of bounds 10 yards away was a far more serious situation............no call on that one, right in front of the IU bench.....no respect?

We're talking about one special teams play here. How many other special teams plays went without a hitch?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT