ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams coach

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
In various posts on staff I’ve said the OC & OL coaches were on warm seats (OL may be hot) and that I did NOT like that Coach T also coaches LB/Husky too. If ST are so important for its own coordinator role, let them do just that. Yes ST looked good against Idaho with blocked punts, but we are only fair catching returnable kick offs and you make your money (or lose your job) on kick coverage a d yesterday’s TD return was a major dagger!

You need coaches who are top notch to win B10 or compete for. Atinó al title. Fee like we have some, but not all of staff at right caliber.

In various posts on staff I’ve said the OC & OL coaches were on warm seats (OL may be hot) and that I did NOT like that Coach T also coaches LB/Husky too. If ST are so important for its own coordinator role, let them do just that. Yes ST looked good against Idaho with blocked punts, but we are only fair catching returnable kick offs and you make your money (or lose your job) on kick coverage a d yesterday’s TD return was a major dagger!

You need coaches who are top notch to win B10 or compete for. Atinó al title. Fee like we have some, but not all of staff at right caliber.

I'd say the OC's seat is burning right now. He is also the QB coach!

Then you look out west at what the prior OC is doing. Taking top teams to the wire with 596 yards of offense. What the heck was the current guy learning?

He liked his mentor, DeBoard’s playbook/philosophies, better than DeBoer’s apparently. Hard to believe, but these numbers are inescapable and alarming since KD left and NS took over…
QB completion % WAY down, 3rd/longs way up!! It’s not hard to see why and it’s not a good formula for any team to win with, especially a Defensive team.

The Tutelage the QBs received about mechanics, not making mistakes, putting your O in manageable down/distance results-wise seemingly have gone out the window in favor of throwing deep on 3rd down after 2 runs for short yardage on 1st/2nd down.

Yesterday I do give the OL credit and to some extent NS for a good game plan/mix it up in the first half…nice usage of the TEs, occasionally getting the RBs to the second level, etc. But it needs to be converted into points in the red zone (sometimes early FGs are good, Coach Allen!!) and sustained…not torpedoed by dumb TOs by your QB.

I also forgot the illegal D formation on the FG attempt that led to a 4th & 6 to a 4th & 1 where Cinci goes for it and get first down instead! THAT is TWO huge ST mistakes that HURT yesterday.

Coach Allen is going to have to have some tough inner self discussions and honest accountability in regards to ST, OC & OL…to start.

Allen is a fine Head Coach. But where he sucks is his ability to hire Coordinators except DeBoer. Too much “buddy system” crap going on.

I also forgot the illegal D formation on the FG attempt that led to a 4th & 6 to a 4th & 1 where Cinci goes for it and get first down instead! THAT is TWO huge ST mistakes that HURT yesterday.

Coach Allen is going to have to have some tough inner self discussions and honest accountability in regards to ST, OC & OL…to start.
"Coach Allen is going to have to have some tough inner self discussions and honest accountability in regards to ST, OC & OL…to start"

That will be extremely difficult for a leo.

Coach T doesn't coach LB, he coaches OLB which is the Bull position. Warren coaches LB.

I'm not sure if Husky has a position coach anymore.

Special teams have been good overall this year. That KO return was a breakdown for sure. And the penalty for lining up over the longsnapper, I find it hard to believe that point hasn't been taught over and over. In fact after the first penalty there was amost a second were it not for Thomas Allen literally shoving the guy over by a gap. I don't know who the kid was but he wouldn't be out there anymore if it were up to me.

Welcome to today's world
Let’s see Mike Deboard had a quarter back who lit up the SEC and then got a job coaching professional football. Kane Womack got a head coaching job. Kalen Deboer got a head coaching job. Sheridan just getting started. Warren’s defense has been very good until they lost their heart an all American linebacker.

ADVERTISEMENT