ADVERTISEMENT

South Dakota's AG is farked

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Reported hitting a deer on the way home from a GOP event at a bar, but officials figured out the next morning that wasn't what happened when they found a dead person on the side of the road.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Maybe the dude was wearing this-

viking-helmet.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey and Lucy01
Reported hitting a deer on the way home from a GOP event at a bar, but officials figured out the next morning that wasn't what happened when they found a dead person on the side of the road.

"Mangan also said he couldn't share the following information because it's part of an ongoing investigation:
  • When and how Ravnsborg contacted the Hyde County Sheriff's Office to report hitting the deer;
  • Whether Ravnsborg got out of the car after the crash to look for the deer and any damage to his car;
  • If local law enforcement arrived to look for the deer on Saturday night;
  • Whether Ravnsborg was driving a personal or state-owned vehicle;
  • If Ravnsborg made it home to Pierre on Saturday night or had to leave his car somewhere and get a ride;
  • Where and when on Sunday morning the victim was found, and by whom;
  • Whether law enforcement found any parts of Ravnsborg's car on the road;
  • If Ravnsborg has already been tested for drugs and alcohol, and if so when".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

not mentioned, is did the victim die instantly beyond question, or is it possible he survived the initial hit.

how drunk was he? O/u 1.7

By the time this goes to trial for the Attorney General the deceased will have jumped out in front of the car wearing a deer costume.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
While this could definitely turn out to something, it’s probably not that uncommon to hit an animal on these BFE highways at night and drive on. It’s very dangerous to to be wandering the side of the highway in the pitch black.

Unless the victim was 3 feet tall the AG is going to prison. Even in the dark you don't mistake a person walking on the edge of the road for a deer running onto the road. I grew up in the sticks driving cars with 1970's headlights, today's cars are light years ahead of those cars in terms of well; everything.

Texting, drunk or both.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Unless the victim was 3 feet tall the AG is going to prison. Even in the dark you don't mistake a person walking on the edge of the road for a deer running onto the road. I grew up in the sticks driving cars with 1970's headlights, today's cars are light years ahead of those cars in terms of well; everything.

Texting, drunk or both.

I’ll believe it when I see it. He’s a South Dakota republican so I give better odds for him to come out with some evangelical based apology tour and he’ll be governor at some point.

While this could definitely turn out to something, it’s probably not that uncommon to hit an animal on these BFE highways at night and drive on. It’s very dangerous to to be wandering the side of the highway in the pitch black.

Out here in hillbilly land it’s almost a nightly occurrence to have deer run across the highway in front of your vehicle.

Most of the roads in hillbilly land aren’t paved so you’re going slow enough to avoid them.

The vast majority of leaving/fleeing the scene incidents are done by drunk drivers. Like this guy, they figure they can buy time to get their BAC down.
True, but if he was texting and hit something, it could be plausible that he could have no idea he hit a person and just assumed it was a deer. Still criminal.

I have hit 2 deer; one totaled my vehicle and the other just bounced off and scampered away. They're not real bright.

He claims to have stopped his vehicle immediately to investigate. Was the old guy wearing a fur coat? not a very thorough investigation if he can't tell the difference between a person and a deer.

He claims to have stopped his vehicle immediately to investigate. Was the old guy wearing a fur coat? not a very thorough investigation if he can't tell the difference between a person and a deer.
If the NPR article I linked just above your post can be taken at face value, it sounds like the sheriff was there too and couldn't find anything either.

Reactions: brianiu
I’ll believe it when I see it. He’s a South Dakota republican so I give better odds for him to come out with some evangelical based apology tour and he’ll be governor at some point.

In remembrance of Mary Jo Kopechne....I offer you the prince of Camelot: Senator Ted Kennedy.

If the NPR article I linked just above your post can be taken at face value, it sounds like the sheriff was there too and couldn't find anything either.

There's a lot to unpack in the story that has emerged. This is what I've gathered so far:

1) The AG's car was damaged badly enough that he couldn't drive it further
2) The AG looked around with his cell phone flashlight, but couldn't see the "deer" he had hit
3) The AG called the Sheriff, who came out to check it out
4) The Sheriff and AG looked around in the dark, but couldn't find evidence of a "deer" that had been hit
5) The AG drove home the Sheriff's personal vehicle since his was not drivable
6) The AG came back the next day with an aide to return the Sheriff's car and they found the dead body of the man who had been hit

Will be interesting to see how it evolves.

There's a lot to unpack in the story that has emerged. This is what I've gathered so far:

2) The AG looked around with his cell phone flashlight, but couldn't see the "deer" he had hit
4) The Sheriff and AG looked around in the dark, but couldn't find evidence of a "deer" that had been hit
6) The AG came back the next day with an aide to return the Sheriff's car and they found the dead body of the man who had been hit

Maybe it's possible that is exactly how it played out, but it seems fishy to me.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
This story sort of reminds me of a story that happened in my hometown.

That story was also a fatal hit and run, but there are a lot theories about what happened. First, there is a suspicion that she was drunk. There were also rumors that she was with a student she was having an affair with.

perhaps i missed it in the article, but still curious if experts are relatively sure the man hit died instantly, or is it possible he survived the initial hit.

seems pretty important to me anyway.

Very odd that the Sheriff also came out and found nothing. Its one thing if AG’s claim wasn't corroborated, but it was. .
To think the Sheriffs in on a possible cover up, yikes!

Would like to know exact proximity body was to the crash site. Less than 20/30 feet, not a good look, even in the dark.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT