ADVERTISEMENT

Sometimes Things Take Longer Then You Want Them To

A story I hope IUFB fans understand as IU fights through the B1G East. Give coach Allen time to build his program and I believe he will get IUFB over the hump. Unfortunatly many people don't show patience any more when people try to do things the right way and improve over time.

A story I hope IUFB fans understand as IU fights through the B1G East. Give coach Allen time to build his program and I believe he will get IUFB over the hump. Unfortunatly many people don't show patience any more when people try to do things the right way and improve over time.
I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with your (and 76's) general point about patience. The question becomes, though, patience for what? Bowl eligibility? A winning season? An 8-9 win season? A division title? A B1G championship? If we're talking about those last two possibilities, I think most knowledgeable (and rational) fans are not looking for this to happen anytime soon. However, in the meantime, there should be tangible evidence of progress toward those goals, and that progress should be reflected in an improving W/L record. If we're not winning 7 (or more) in the next 3-4 years, my patience (for what it's worth) will be wearing thin. And I believe that the climb becomes even steeper (and longer) if we again miss out on bowl eligibility this year. 2018 is an important season.

I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with your (and 76's) general point about patience. The question becomes, though, patience for what? Bowl eligibility? A winning season? An 8-9 win season? A division title? A B1G championship? If we're talking about those last two possibilities, I think most knowledgeable (and rational) fans are not looking for this to happen anytime soon. However, in the meantime, there should be tangible evidence of progress toward those goals, and that progress should be reflected in an improving W/L record. If we're not winning 7 (or more) in the next 3-4 years, my patience (for what it's worth) will be wearing thin. And I believe that the climb becomes even steeper (and longer) if we again miss out on bowl eligibility this year. 2018 is an important season.
I see no way IU can ever win a conference title,just too big of a hill to climb.
However I see no reason they can’t consistently play in one of the New Years Day bowls and win 8 or 9 games on a regular basis.
Very little margin of error however,you have to win the non conference games and win the 50/50 games.Just my humble and uneducated guess haha

FG hired an inexperienced HC in Wilson and he raised the bar but peaked at about the time he gained the experience to be an effective head coach. We watched patiently as Wilson developed as he changed the culture but even though he picked up the recruiting it never reached the high level it needed and looked to fall off somewhat. Was it time to change coaches? I was ok with the timing but not the way or result of the change. So now we're back to square one (last year)with an inexperienced HC and we're told to be patient...and I'm tired of being patient. If we go through a cycle of hiring unproven coaches at a low salary every 5 years and hope it works out I think we need more time and patience than I have available to give.

FG hired an inexperienced HC in Wilson and he raised the bar but peaked at about the time he gained the experience to be an effective head coach. We watched patiently as Wilson developed as he changed the culture but even though he picked up the recruiting it never reached the high level it needed and looked to fall off somewhat. Was it time to change coaches? I was ok with the timing but not the way or result of the change. So now we're back to square one (last year)with an inexperienced HC and we're told to be patient...and I'm tired of being patient. If we go through a cycle of hiring unproven coaches at a low salary every 5 years and hope it works out I think we need more time and patience than I have available to give.

Wilson did the job of getting IU off the floor and in the middle of the pack, respectable and no longer being blown out. But he definitely peaked sadly in my view.

Allen has the vision, knowledge and enthusiasm to be a combo of Heoppner & Mallory. An optimist who has high accountable standards.

You get 4 recruiting classes like this year's on an 80 man roster and IU will be bowling for sure, maybe even on a bigger bowl stage.

Believe Allen has the temperment, Hoosier roots and focus to get IU where it needs to go. It will take patience but from day Bucket Game loss was over, I've seen him address issues and keep right on going.

-Special Teams flaws (cost us MD game in my view) - new Coordinator role, scholly on all-american kicker, like last year's punter.

-LB - recruited about 4 possible new players.

-QB - got a 4 star recruit (over TN, FSU) and may add a grad transfer.

-S/C - knocked it out of park with the new team hire there. Already paying off.

He & staff also used the not going to a bowl time extremely well to get a solid 2018 recruiting class inked, and then quickly transitioned into 2019 class mode and have been getting an early jump on that and 2020 classes now, so I see no let up in their efforts at all.

Proof of course will be on the field, but I'm setting 2018 year expectation of 7-5 floor, good bowl game and keep the momentum going. The schedule is much more favorable next season and I think the depth and improvement is going to surprise people next season. There is still strong talent on this team.

Wilson did the job of getting IU off the floor and in the middle of the pack, respectable and no longer being blown out. But he definitely peaked sadly in my view.

Allen has the vision, knowledge and enthusiasm to be a combo of Heoppner & Mallory. An optimist who has high accountable standards.

You get 4 recruiting classes like this year's on an 80 man roster and IU will be bowling for sure, maybe even on a bigger bowl stage.

Believe Allen has the temperment, Hoosier roots and focus to get IU where it needs to go. It will take patience but from day Bucket Game loss was over, I've seen him address issues and keep right on going.

-Special Teams flaws (cost us MD game in my view) - new Coordinator role, scholly on all-american kicker, like last year's punter.

He & staff also used the not going to a bowl time extremely well to get a solid 2018 recruiting class inked, and then quickly transitioned into 2019 class mode and have been getting an early jump on that and 2020 classes now, so I see no let up in their efforts at all.

Proof of course will be on the field, but I'm setting 2018 year expectation of 7-5 floor, good bowl game and keep the momentum going. The schedule is much more favorable next season and I think the depth and improvement is going to surprise people next season. There is still strong talent on this team.

I hope your expectation of 7 regular season W's is met but I'd respectfully suggest that you consider that we just lost 7 starters from our defense of last fall.

That type of attrition usually indicates a potential setback for a team with a previous years winning record. I don't think I need to remind you or anyone that we didn't break .500 last fall.

We'll get better, but don't lose heart if it doesn't match your timeline...

I'm 35. I've been an IU football fan since birth. I barely the end of the Mallory years. I've patiently waited most of my lift for us to return to respectability. I doubt I'll run out of patience. It's the only thing I can have with IU football.

I'm 35. I've been an IU football fan since birth. I barely the end of the Mallory years. I've patiently waited most of my lift for us to return to respectability. I doubt I'll run out of patience. It's the only thing I can have with IU football.
Look at the scores - - and box scores - - from last year's games. We're nobody's patsy anymore. Now we have to start closing out more of those close games.

There is absolutely no reason IU football fans should not expect to have winning records and bowl seasons more times than not. The reason IU is digging itself out of a massive hole is that it never invested anything in the program until the end of Greenspan and start of Glass.

It is critical that IU become a consistent post-season program. There are 80 something teams that get to play in a bowl every year. IU football, at minimum, should expect to be in one of them. That’s the bare minimum. Once you become a consistent bowl program, you will attract enough recruits to withstand departures of players.

That’s how solid programs do it. If you are an elite-level program like Alabama or OSU, your recruiting base is so strong that departures mean you just plug another 5-star into the socket and experience no drop off.

The facility investment must continue to keep up.

I do relate to the other posters here who get frustrated that other schools get new coaches and strike quickly. Or, schools that don’t seem to invest heavily (Northwestern) have sustained success. That is frustrating and some of that is a product of the divisional organization. IU has to keep investing as they have been doing. I think that we get there as long as we don’t sit on things.

I do relate to the other posters here who get frustrated that other schools get new coaches and strike quickly. Or, schools that don’t seem to invest heavily (Northwestern) have sustained success. That is frustrating and some of that is a product of the divisional organization. IU has to keep investing as they have been doing. I think that we get there as long as we don’t sit on things
Northwestern has benefited from outstanding head coaches (Barnett, Walker and Fitzgerald) for 25 consecutive years. Sure, they're in the weaker West, but their 10 win season in 2015 included victories over Stanford (Stanford ended the year with a 12-2 record, a Rose Bowl win, and a #3 national ranking), a very good Wisconsin team, and Penn State. Northwestern won 10 again last season, and was 3-0 in overtime games. They're well-coached and can finish games. If Allen's the right guy (and I think/hope/pray that he is), this can be us in a few years.

KW got them off the floor but his performance with recruiting and roster management in both the QB slot and the Oline is mind boggling. Off-field and player abuse discussions aside, he had a couple of bad fumbles that Allen is saddled with fixing.

There is absolutely no reason IU football fans should not expect to have winning records and bowl seasons more times than not. The reason IU is digging itself out of a massive hole is that it never invested anything in the program until the end of Greenspan and start of Glass.

It is critical that IU become a consistent post-season program. There are 80 something teams that get to play in a bowl every year. IU football, at minimum, should expect to be in one of them. That’s the bare minimum. Once you become a consistent bowl program, you will attract enough recruits to withstand departures of players.

That’s how solid programs do it. If you are an elite-level program like Alabama or OSU, your recruiting base is so strong that departures mean you just plug another 5-star into the socket and experience no drop off.

The facility investment must continue to keep up.

I do relate to the other posters here who get frustrated that other schools get new coaches and strike quickly. Or, schools that don’t seem to invest heavily (Northwestern) have sustained success. That is frustrating and some of that is a product of the divisional organization. IU has to keep investing as they have been doing. I think that we get there as long as we don’t sit on things.

I've said it before but I'll say it again with feeling:

The one and only thing that we as fans can do that will actually make an impact is to simply show up early and stay late at games while giving as much positive support as one can muster. This starts with the nearly top secret Spring Game that the Athletic Department seems to be hoping no one bothers to attend (given their complete lack of effort in promoting it)...

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think and hope Allen can be successful at IU. I was in favor of the hiring when it happened.

However, this year was a major disappointment and a step back. To make progress you can't lose the Maryland and Purdue games.

Close but no cigar against the two Michigan teams and a solid win against Virginia doesn't make up for that.

Reactions: IUgradman
I hope your expectation of 7 regular season W's is met but I'd respectfully suggest that you consider that we just lost 7 starters from our defense of last fall.

That type of attrition usually indicates a potential setback for a team with a previous years winning record. I don't think I need to remind you or anyone that we didn't break .500 last fall.

We'll get better, but don't lose heart if it doesn't match your timeline...
If we don’t make a bowl this year it’s time to start looking for a new coach. And actually do a search this time.

What? Doing a search? Finding a coach like Jeff Brohm? That would sure keep us down alright.
No bailling so quick before Coach Allen can get his recruits in. Wilson left before dealing with his declining classes but this staff is dealing with those shortcomings. In one year of recruiting we have seen recruiting pick back up and now have 4 star QB on the team. Give this staff four years to show what they can do then evaluate where we are.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
You like him so much, move North.

Brohm is a good coach but I’m a firm believer that Purdue had comparable (even stronger on the DL) talent as IU for the last couple of years. They just didn’t have coaching. I don’t buy this line that Purdue had a bunch of misfit MAC talent that was miraculously transformed in 2017. I think they had veteran guys in key spots and Brohm definitely did the right thing getting some JUCO guys to fill gaps. Brohm was a good coaching hire and he loses some personnel this year.
IU has to win games at home against Maryland, Purdue and on the road against Rutgers. Those are pivotal games. Those are “must haves” to me. If we lose those, particularly those first 2 in that list, IU fans will get restless. I think there needs to be a sense of urgency with this program.

I don't know. The fact that we're now complaining about losses to conference opponents rather than MAC teams reflects progress.

Agree 100%. For the first time in the history of IU we invested in football. Greenspan and Hoeppner got the ball started.

My disappointment in this season shows the progress that has been made. Another season with 5 wins or less is going to put another dent in that progress.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT