ADVERTISEMENT

Something to keep in mind with Mike Penix

Chriselli

All-Big Ten
Nov 27, 2001
I think Mike is an incredibly special player, and it was strange watching him struggle throughout most of the Penn State game. Today, it occurred to me that, other than playing for a couple of series during the Penn State game his true freshman season, he has never stepped on the field against Ohio State, Michigan, or (practically) Penn State, That was a BIG step-up from anything he has ever played against. It's easy to forget that because he has been so good from day one and with this being his third year in the program. Hopefully, we can get the running game going at Rutgers, and things will open up more for MP.

What people also need to realize is up until the very end, he wasn't tucking the ball and running. Notice how vastly different the offense is once he started doing that in the final 2 drives. I am thinking the coaches are going to do everything to help keep him upright but at some point this is football. To maximize an offense, we will want him to use all of his abilities because his running also helps set up his arm for the passing game.

I think in the end, the O-Line was shoved around a bit and you may even be putting Penix in more danger having him sit in the pocket instead of having him take what he's given. It will be interesting to see how that progresses over the final 7 games.

Penix is a dangerous player, very dangerous. The 4th quarter and the OT period showed that he's capable of beating just about anybody...

Coaching needs to get better because Penix can't control a very bungled squib kick which allowed them a field goal opportunity at the end of regulation. That teeters on the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Penix is a dangerous player, very dangerous. The 4th quarter and the OT period showed that he's capable of beating just about anybody...

Coaching needs to get better because Penix can't control a very bungled squib kick which allowed them a field goal opportunity at the end of regulation. That teeters on the worst decisions I've ever seen.
I got the feeling that it wasn't supposed to be kicked that way. Allen ran right over to Smolar? and sternly said something to him and then Smolar seemed unhappy with himself when walking around the bench area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Sheridan needs to call plays early to get Penix in a rhythm (i.e. the Michigan St game last year). Get the ball out of his hands quicker. Looked jumpy having to wait in the pocket against Psu, which was understandable, wasn't moving his feet and was compensating by overthrowing the football.

I think Mike is an incredibly special player, and it was strange watching him struggle throughout most of the Penn State game. Today, it occurred to me that, other than playing for a couple of series during the Penn State game his true freshman season, he has never stepped on the field against Ohio State, Michigan, or (practically) Penn State, That was a BIG step-up from anything he has ever played against. It's easy to forget that because he has been so good from day one and with this being his third year in the program. Hopefully, we can get the running game going at Rutgers, and things will open up more for MP.
Mike could certainly have been better, and missed some throws, on the other hand, he rarely had a clean pocket and (really concerning to me) our receivers rarely had separation. Last year against PSU we had receivers running free everywhere and PR had much better protection. Not sure why exactly, but we’re breaking in a new OC, several new OL, and a couple new receivers. When PSU secondary played softer on the last drive, everything looked better. I have a feeling we will see a lot of press coverage until we prove we can block and get open.

Your desire to throw Allen under the bus for everything generally leads you to look like a fool.

This wasn't a decision problem.

MP is special. I don't know how many others could have stretched and stayed in bounds for that long. He's just getting started.

P.S. - Targeting was a big deal Saturday. Stevie got popped in the head and fumbled. No call. PSU had a bunch of head first tacklers. I hope that gets called more. Got to protect these young men from cheap shots.
Go Hoosiers!

Your desire to throw Allen under the bus for everything generally leads you to look like a fool.

This wasn't a decision problem.
I like Coach Allen and continually applaud his efforts, particularly his Florida recruiting efforts. Throwing him under the bus? You're WAY off base with that comment...

Allen has done a fine job, upgrading the defense and team speed being prime examples. It's ok to point out bad decisions that must be corrected going forward. As for blaming the kicker, naw, that's too easy. Allen should've had him kick the SOB out of the stadium, not squib kick it.

I got the feeling that it wasn't supposed to be kicked that way. Allen ran right over to Smolar? and sternly said something to him and then Smolar seemed unhappy with himself when walking around the bench area.
I could see only highlights. Can you brief me on this kick play?

I like Coach Allen and continually applaud his efforts, particularly his Florida recruiting efforts. Throwing him under the bus? You're WAY off base with that comment...

Allen has done a fine job, upgrading the defense and team speed being prime examples. It's ok to point out bad decisions that must be corrected going forward. As for blaming the kicker, naw, that's too easy. Allen should've had him kick the SOB out of the stadium, not squib kick it.
It may be “easy” , as you say, but it is also accurate. The kicker didn’t execute as he should have, and even apologized on Twitter.

Mike could certainly have been better, and missed some throws, on the other hand, he rarely had a clean pocket and (really concerning to me) our receivers rarely had separation. Last year against PSU we had receivers running free everywhere and PR had much better protection. Not sure why exactly, but we’re breaking in a new OC, several new OL, and a couple new receivers. When PSU secondary played softer on the last drive, everything looked better. I have a feeling we will see a lot of press coverage until we prove we can block and get open.
This. Not sure what Kalen Deboer's magic was but last year IU got the ball off very quickly and consistently managed to get receivers open. Against Penn State that magic was gone. The line got dominated. The offense took longer to get the ball out of the quarterbacks hands, the receivers were rarely open and the line got dominated. I left that game optimistic about the defense which clearly has improved, and pessimistic about the offense which clearly has taken a step back. I think this is going to be another year where you have one half of the ball playing high level football and the other half holding them back.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Correct, it wasn’t a poor “decision”, it was poor execution.

On that play.....why not just tell him to get it out of bounds somewhere between the 10 & 30 yard lines?.....Eliminates any return.

Also, the play at the end of the first half....running with 9 seconds left.....that's always driven me nuts. A lot of college coaches do it....no reason to....take a knee, esp. since it wasn't 3rd down and Franklin wasn't stopping the clock.....

Now, if it was 3rd down, let me know....my memory was it wasn't.

The other thing about that situation....why wasn't Franklin calling TOs? Made no sense either.

I could see only highlights. Can you brief me on this kick play?

Set the scene:

A miracle has just occurred...

Our struggling offense that has put up a whopping 45 yards in the second half has not only just driven down the field and scored, they have shown enough life to make a 2 point conversion to tie the game.

There is 22 seconds on the clock.

We need to make Penn State eat all 22 without scoring so we get to overtime.

Instead of kicking the ball out of the stadium and giving them the ball on the 25, we kick what looks like a on-side kick. They recover on their 48, putting a game winning FG by them in play.

They eventually try a 57 yard FG which comes up about 1 foot short.

We don't why (yet) the kick was made.

We will probably hear today that we wanted to "squib" it, make it roll, be hard to field, to avoid a run back.

I think that is overthinking it, and shows a worry about only 1 of 2 possible problems.

A squib doesn't prevent the potential FG any better than a potential run back.

1. Just kick the ball FAAAAAR.

2. Stop celebrating like we just won the sectional and make sure your kicker is COACHED on the most important play of the night - which is always the next one - and does not confuse a "squib" with an "onside"

Again, time management under Wilson and Allen has not been a strong suit.

BUT - we beat Penn State in OT, so screw it ALL.

Beat Rutgrrrrs.

This. Not sure what Kalen Deboer's magic was but last year IU got the ball off very quickly and consistently managed to get receivers open. Against Penn State that magic was gone. The line got dominated. The offense took longer to get the ball out of the quarterbacks hands, the receivers were rarely open and the line got dominated. I left that game optimistic about the defense which clearly has improved, and pessimistic about the offense which clearly has taken a step back. I think this is going to be another year where you have one half of the ball playing high level football and the other half holding them back.

Can't disagree with this......only ray of hope is that everyone was down on Wommack as DC last year, now we like him. The only problem is....it seemed like it took him until the TENN game to 'get it'. Hope Sheridan has a faster learning curve.......

Set the scene:

Our struggling offense that has put up a whopping 45 yards in the second half has not only just driven down the field and scored, they have shown enough life to make a 2 point conversion to tie the game.

Instead of kicking the ball out of the stadium and giving them the ball on the 25, we kick what looks like a on-side kick. They recover on their 48, putting a game winning FG by them in play.

We will probably hear today that we wanted to "squib" it, make it roll, be hard to field, to avoid a run back.

I think that is overthinking it, and shows a worry about only 1 of 2 possible problems.

2. Stop celebrating like we just won the sectional and make sure your kicker is COACHED on the most important play of the night - which is always the next one - and does not confuse a "squib" with an "onside"

Beat Rutgrrrrs.

The problem with that is....Smolar wasn't kicking the ball to the end zone. (Which brings up the Q of why he's still handling KOs....last year he was something like #85 in KOs downed....). As I mentioned above, kick the ball out anywhere between the 10 & the 30.....no return possible.

This was just one game, it was the first game, and it was against Penn State. Penn State was 5th nationally in rushing defense last year, 7th nationally in sacks, 11th nationally in tackles for loss, and a lot of those guys are back.

I wouldn't rush to judgment. I think our offense will be just fine.

Last edited:
On that play.....why not just tell him to get it out of bounds somewhere between the 10 & 30 yard lines?.....Eliminates any return.

Also, the play at the end of the first half....running with 9 seconds left.....that's always driven me nuts. A lot of college coaches do it....no reason to....take a knee, esp. since it wasn't 3rd down and Franklin wasn't stopping the clock.....

The other thing about that situation....why wasn't Franklin calling TOs? Made no sense either.

btw....before anybody says "We just won the biggest game since 1987 and..............", this is just football talk about obvious situations that came up in the game. I'm sure right now Bama fans are bitching about something Saban's doing and NW fans wonder why Fitz is doing this or that......just the nature of the job. There is probably no job in the country, other than President, which is second-guessed as much as a football coach......

Last edited:
MP is special. I don't know how many others could have stretched and stayed in bounds for that long. He's just getting started.

P.S. - Targeting was a big deal Saturday. Stevie got popped in the head and fumbled. No call. PSU had a bunch of head first tacklers. I hope that gets called more. Got to protect these young men from cheap shots.
Go Hoosiers!

Forgot about that one...............other than the huge one at the end (duh) we got few favors...............there was the face mask that probably wasn't....that did help....and what is it about PSU?? We have a few guys get blasted in the head every time we play them.

Go Hoosiers!
Penn St has surpassed Mich St as the league leaders in head hunting.

Set the scene:

Beat Rutgrrrrs.
Thanks. I see why cta upset

Reactions: ESalum86

I commented similarly on chat in-game that he looked amped and his overthrows might be a symptom.

What a confidence builder for the young man.

Set the scene:

Beat Rutgrrrrs.

Interesting. You obviously think that a squib in that case is wrong but at the end you comment about timer management are being Allen's "strong suit".

IMO, time management is EXACTLY why you do squib it.

First, the better returners don't usually get the ball. I am not sure if I have ever seen a squib run back for a TD or even a long return.

Second, an up back might not have the presence of mind to simply fall on it thus burning time when he picks it up and runs.

Could be wrong, but I believe the receiving team has the option of taking a 5 yard penalty and forcing a rekick from the 30 on a kick out of bounds.

Reactions: 76-1 and Chriselli

Bad decision to squib kick? No.
Bad execution on the kick? Yes.

We won the game. Carpe'd the diem. Stunned the world. Have a beverage, smile and enjoy the week!

Last edited:

Why the hell did Jeff Tedford have to retire? For goodness sakes.

Reactions: td75
I think
Playing in late October against PSU psychologically feels like mid-season, but the reality is there were no Eastern Illinois type teams to work the kinks out like usual.

There will be many offensive adjustments to be made. I like our personnel. I like that MPJ didn’t give up on himself or his OL when he was out of sync and getting hammered.

Go Hoosiers!
PSU has knocked our receiver out of the game the last 2 games. With no targeting call.

I hope Allen brings that to the B1G's attention.

We all know Penix is a southpaw. What’s mind boggling to me about that final 2-pt conversion is that he did it all—-launch, stretch out horizontally, reach for the goal line, take a solid hit in mid flight and control the ball through it all—-with his off hand. Incredible!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT