ADVERTISEMENT

Something that really impressed me about Coach Allen yesterday.

All4UIU

Junior
Sep 9, 2003
His reaction to the targeting call. While I was freaking out and screaming at my TV and the travesty of that overrule, CTA was clapping and cheering his team to fight harder. Not freaking out and losing his focus. Man you got to have some character to not react to that. Impressive man.

I noticed that as well. He didn't let it get to him. The team followed his lead and didn't let it get to them either.

He mentioned in the postgame comments that they studied some Navy Seal concepts in the offseason and that helped with this call:

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com...ing-game-ball-from-1st-victory-to-his-father/

Bloomington HT said:
At the time, Allen was under the impression that officials were checking to review the fumble until a staffer mentioned that it could be a targeting review.

“My stomach sank,” Allen said. “I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’ I went up and down our sideline and said, ‘Hey guys, defense get ready. You don’t know what’s gonna happen.’ We studied this concept in the offseason from the Navy Seals where they call it a sugar cookie, where (something happens) for basically no fault of your own. You get penalized and you gotta do some penalty.

“We’ve been trying to do that to our team to get them mentally tougher. Sugar cookies is all it is. Life’s not fair sometimes. I’m not gonna sit here and debate the call. They made the call, but we gotta deal with it and we gotta respond. Our kids did. Sometimes you hate to have those things happen, but they can be the best thing to happen because they teach you to be a mentally tough football team.”

Reactions: IUgradman and RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT